Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

Beastro

Arcane
Heck NV is on par with FO2 when it comes to going overboard with stupid shit.
only if you choose the wild wasteland option.

You have an entire area paying homage to Elvis Presley. That alone nearly equals half of FO2 whacky content.

Which is itself a quirky, but insightful look at celebrity culture from the perspective of people finding essentially archeological evidence of him and see how many looked on the man, concluding he was worshiped as a god.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also Elvis obsession in a post-apocalyptic setting is something that reminds me of Six-String Samurai which probably the most "cult" movie of all times

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
All I'm going to say that, if I pass this test I had today involving Hegelian Dialectics (among other subjects), I'll totally suck Josh Sawyer's dick.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Since this is the designated New Vegas thread, I have a question for our Internet archivists. Was there ever a public record of the reason that pushed Obsidian to choose Gamebryo for New Vegas? I mean, it's unclear. Did Bethesda force them? Did they take this engine because they didn't have any other anyway? I'd love to read more about that.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Since this is the designated New Vegas thread, I have a question for our Internet archivists. Was there ever a public record of the reason that pushed Obsidian to choose Gamebryo for New Vegas? I mean, it's unclear. Did Bethesda force them? Did they take this engine because they didn't have any other anyway? I'd love to read more about that.
In a basic sense, yeah Bethesda wouldn't let them make it unless it was in the Gamebryo engine iirc.

Epsilon

Cipher
Also they only had a year to make it, you don't make sweeping technical changes in a year.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not just Gamebryo, FNV is p. much a Fallout 3 total conversion.

It's full of leftover FO3 stuff in the assets, like in the scripts you can call Big Guns skill which doesn't exist anymore, and some people managed to restore fallout 3 items.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

What has been said already, pretty much.

Fallout 3 is Bethesda's Fallout. Not only would Obsidian need a lot of time to make a better engine, Bethesda just wouldn't let them outshine their precious garbage. It's the same reason why we will never see a proper, polished Fallout game released as long as Bethesda owns the IP. Obsidian could be working on a new Fallout game right now, and have all the time in the world to release it, but I'm guessing Bethesda would rather give them two years (if they even bother giving Obsidian another chance) and have them rush the game shortly before TES VI comes along and overshadows the game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
But would you have preferred a Fallout on Dungeon Siege 3 engine instead? Because under the assumption that Obsidian would have chosen something else, that's the likely option.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But would you have preferred a Fallout on Dungeon Siege 3 engine instead? Because under the assumption that Obsidian would have chosen something else, that's the likely option.

Tbh I would have preferred New Vegas to use FO2's engine or any engine that was actually good for a roleplaying game. NV's combat is so boring and the exploration sucks so much in virtue of the engine and the 3D element Bethesda got people used to.

Ash

Arcane

The only way feasible way 'AAA' incline can be achieved these days is via professional mods. If Obsidian had to start from scratch, chances are high it would have been shit as it would have twice as much $$$ invested into it and twice as much pressure to dumb it down. Instead take a highly flawed game with an OK RPG framework, remove much of the dumb, and then mod/TC the shit out of it until it's inclined. Then go out of your way to mod it on your own watch and dime because you weren't happy the suits wouldn't allow some ideas deemed too "hardcore".

that's not the official reason btw, but whatever the reason I guarantee NV wouldn't be the game winning this poll now if it weren't a mod-game.
the official reason is likely that it is resourceful. Few studios make sequels from scratch, instead opting to use much of the same assets and engine and optimize and build upon the previous game systems and engine. And for all the shit gamebryo gets it's really not that bad. Fallout 3's issues were not really gamebryo, they were the shitty design, especially writing and anything relating to character design and the main uestline.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?
Sure. I see a lot of people complaining about Bethesda mechanics, but ... the original Fallout's mechanics weren't stellar either. Combat was meh. Ramp up gun skill, click on enemies. So what. Inventory sucked. And so forth. What mattered in Fallout was PC involvement - choice & consequence - and how different character builds could impact gameplay - and New Vegas, while not perfect, certainly delivered. How many different ways are there to meet Benny? So many different, real decisions. I want you to destroy the BOS bunker ... no, I won't, and the game continues anyway. I played through three times and told three totally different stories, and they were all fleshed out and sensible, and all had their own moment-to-moment nuances (it wasn't just Path A, Path B, Path C).

Obviously, the visual change is a big deal, and in a sense it can't "really" be Fallout without using those same three sprites for NPCs. So people complaining about that, I think that's valid. I just don't personally think the isometric perspective is a critical element in what makes Fallout great. If I described what's good about Fallout to someone who'd never heard of it, I wouldn't gush with stars in my eyes about the camera angle; I'd tell them about the story and how much you can impact it, with your character build and more importantly with your decisions.

Ash

Arcane
God I need to replay NV again. One of very few modern classics.

:balance:

I remember when a friend (console noob) was playing skyrim, he had to sit there and listen to me trash it endlessly and call him a noob, and tell him repeatedly to play NV instead for a good modern RPG. Well, he played it and loved it, and we gushed over its design, characters, world design etc...and he even started calling Skyrim fans noobs himself. Some time later he played FO3 and I asked him what he thought...he said he thought it was better.
Needless to say I was like:

:retarded:

Last edited:

pippin

FOBOS2.
It's still better than FO3. And it has the original Vault Dweller on it somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom