Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Tower Studio Business Diary

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Goral, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Vault Dweller has published newest sales figures for AoD and DR in an interesting article about the way he conducts business and wants to conduct it: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7530.0.html

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Vince is the master of my favorite kind of salesmanship, the straight-shooting, take-it-or-leave-it-but-isn't-it-pretty-nifty style. I'm a sucker for it every time, and it's especially nice to see it in service of a company making great games.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. HoboForEternity Arcane

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    I honestly wont mind if ITS made a faux studio name and release shitty mobile game c/w lootboxes if it mean every 3-4 years we can get a real hardcore RPG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. serch Magister Patron

serch
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm surprised Spain manage to make the list, given the rampant piracy over here. I suppose the niche target of AoD is less inclined (more like declined) to picaresque than the average spaniard.

^ Top  
  8. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    If you want to sell more in Germany you must have the localisation ready when the game is released. There is a market for hardcore RPGs (certainly way bigger than those numbers indicate) but a lot of people will dismiss the game when it's only in English.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Since it involves another party, I can't disclose the details but will add the revenues to our 2018 numbers.

^ Top  
  11. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    I'm not surprised that Dungeon Rats didn't do well. It is only for the extremely, extremely dedicated. Due to its linear nature, it's too easy to be stumped on the 2nd or 3rd fight and hit a wall, get discouraged, and ask for a refund. At least in AoD when you hit a wall there's lots of other things you can do. In Dungeon Rats you have to reload an older save and pray that you will use up a bit less resources this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    That's the thing, with the lack of info it's impossible to say whether it did well or fail. The difference is this: if it did as well as it could being an obscure indie tactical game, then there is nothing we can do here. If it failed then we can do better.

All we have are the Steamspy stats:

Telepath Tactics: 4,687 ± 2,161
    Voidspire Tactics: 4,166 ± 2,037
    Dark Ages: 13,801 ± 3,708
    All Walls Must Fall: 6,249 ± 2,495
    Panzer Tactics: 33,069 ± 5,740
    Heroes Tactics: 86,709 ± 9,294 - free to play

Shadow Tactics is the only exception: 421,828 ± 20,493 but that's a AAA quality title that almost bankrupted the developer (meaning very high budget).

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    The part about DR makes me sad. It's a full on admission that the game vastly underperformed commercially. At least it served to provide the team with experience in regards to Charisma balancing and party based gaming. I remember taking a part in that discussion by arguing that Roxana was a bit "too good" for a "free" companion while Yngvar was not that great considering he was locked at fucking 9 charisma. Eventually Roxy got some nerfs and Yng got some buffs and the gods of :littlemissfun: were appeased.

From what I gather of the dev diaries, TNW will have yet another layer of balancing: faction locking. We'll have to wait and see how that's gonna turn out. I assume more competent NPCS will also be more loyal to their respective factions, with charisma providing many opportunities to bend loyalties. However, this being VD and all, I imagine some lines simply won't be crossed, no matter how high your CHA is.

I may be biased, but I remember DR releasing in a bug free state, with patches only doing small QoL improvements and minor balancing. Such experience will probably help TNW sales, since review bombing due to bugs seem very unlikely.

P.S: pls no more campfire garbage companions! It's a waste of slots.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    speaking for myself, it was not combat that made me love AoD. As such I had no interest in DR

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    We planned to set the game during the mutiny. You're an inexperienced lieutenant tasked with fortifying an area and holding it until relieved. Hint: you won't get relieved so it's going to end up Alamo-style. You need supplies and local reinforcements, you need to fortify the base, weaken the gathering enemies, deal with the local sympathizers, etc. So:

- mission structure with pros and cons, can't do all missions, so you'd have to prioritize toward some strategy, make tough decisions, all building up for the grand finale.
    - base fortifications and defense playing a vital role as that's what the story revolves around.
    - resource management, from medical supplies and boosters to ammo and gas masks.

Any suggestions within this framework are welcome.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AbounI Cipher Patron

AbounI
    Parrots:
    I would add this works for every languages since AoD is a very text based cRPG. Not playing this kind of game in our own native language is like asking quite an effort. I know lots of guys who wait for a French localization too, and when it will be done, I really hope it will also serve to increase the sales of AoD, even if it comes four years after the release while the pricing is greatly lowered. Better late than never. Moreover, it could also boost the French/German/ insertanycountry community behind ITS. And that can only be positive for ITS futur.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Yeah, one suggestion: play Dungeon of the Endless. 80% of what you're saying is VERY well implemented there. Ofc your game won't have RT combat and research mechanics, but Dungeon of the Endless is an amazing game that shares SOME similarities with what you're proposing. A top notch source of inspiration IMHO.

Still, that's AFTER TNW, right? We still have no ETA on that...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the suggestion, will do.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    BONUS Feargus Interview:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    literally who?

^ Top  
  21. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    This is pure gold:

:salute:
    Replacing AoD logo with TNW logo will be rather easy and fitting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)