Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Invisible, Inc. Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Invisible, Inc.; Klei Entertainment

Klei's tactical espionage game Invisible, Inc. has been released on Steam and GOG earlier today, accompanied by a new trailer:

In the comments to the trailer, the devs describe their game as "if FTL and XCOM had a baby that was raised by Mark of the Ninja and grew up playing Shadowrun." Whether that is accurate or not, you be the judge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't know if the description is accurate, but its a good game. I think the better description is stealth roguelite with cyberpunk aesthetics.

Lerk

Learned
Fantastic game. Got 20% off with Steam thanks to already owning Mark of the Ninja. Already played a few hours and can`t wait to play more. Stealth has not felt this tense since Thief. Love the aesthetic too, Klei have some top tier artists.

Between this, Underrail, Darkest Dungeon, and Serpent in the Staglands there ain`t gonna be much sleep for me this May. Hooray for being between jobs atm I guess :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a pretty accurate description and the game is great. Klei is one of the most impressive indie studios out there.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've tried geting into it at 3 different points of the beta and none engaged me enough to get past the first couple of levels.

Has it gotten any better?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I never played in the early access but I'm guessing if you don't like the basic gameplay mechanics then you have shit taste in games you probably won't like it any more now.

:troll:

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
pakoito
Define better. The game has improved all over the board and is much more polished now, but the gameplay fundamentals are the same.
It is now possible to freely customize your difficulty, which may be reason enough to give it a second look,
but if its the core gameplay that rubbed you the wrong game, I don't think that'll be of much help.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've tried geting into it at 3 different points of the beta and none engaged me enough to get past the first couple of levels.

Has it gotten any better?
It has, but if you didn't like it in beta odds are you still won't. The core gameplay hasn't changed, only been polished.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Depends on whether or not you like great games. Hellraiser has a nice let's play in the playground if you need a potato perspective.

The game is bretty good, although it does get repetitive after a while. I picked it up cheap in early access. Whether or not it's worth €20 is really up to how tolerant you are of doing similar missions over and over. If it had been €10, I would've told everyone to get it with no hesitation.

I think the game could've used another security level or two with more types of alarms for experienced players. Endless mode sees you plateauing relatively early on with no real risk of losing agents if you know what you're doing. And then the difficulty goes down as maps don't get harder but your agents get better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Worth the purchase. Obviously only you know if you like this sort of stuff but what it does it does extremely well.

5756E730F69FF7B08C1E9468D839C9C2DA23CE60

Screenshot from the final mission on Experienced (medium difficulty or... maybe one step below 'normal' as they consider expert to be the base setting). Luck plays a definite factor both in level layout and what missions you get/what equipment you find for sale -- so in that regard it's similar to FTL. Great fun to replay, plus there are 'endless' modes in addition to the short campaign. I've already put 20+ hours into it and can see myself playing another forty or more.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
It should be mentioned that I absolutely adore the way they implemented the alarm level mechanic in this game.
You want to explore everywhere and get all the safes. (Because more safes = more money = better agents). But at the same time, you are under constant time pressure from the alarm system. Which forces you to take risks. And taking risks is how you get killed. Before the alarm system, you could get away with taking forever to complete a mission. Now it makes simple things like Daemons stopping Incognita for 2-3 turns a lot more critical.

It's also worth mentioning that while mission availability and level layout are random, the game itself isn't. Patrol paths are 100% predictable. There's no roll to succeed on any actions from you or the enemy. You never feel "dicefucked" like you so often do in games where there's an element of chance.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The alarm system also provides a very natural disincentive to just going around killing all the guards.

The difficulty now known as expert is arguably a bit easier than what was called normal for EA, since the rewind feature is pretty new.

I do sometimes feel like some maps are very hard(or very easy) depending on the random layout, but that's not too bad. Being able to make decisions like "it's not worth trying to explore most of this map, I'd rather be guaranteed to get out with all my agents" is good.

spectre

Arcane
There were some changes to make the game easier.
You are now allowed to melee guards when they see you. Executive terminals now allow you to find a specific mission type (tbh, this was a step in the right direction).
And apparently you can now (completely randomly) get a positive outcome out of triggering a daemon, not to mention missions with daemons usually have a convenient database to reveal all types on the level.

However, I feel that for every such step, they brought something to balance it out.
In particular, I am referring to guards who retake hacked devices and spawn daemons on KO, droid scanners detecting your hidden guys and last two alarm levels pinpointing the location of your team.
None of these feel unfair, mind you, especially the alarm rebalance was sorely needed to spice things up, and I like the added detail that the daemon spawned by guards is uninstalled when they regain consciousness,
and the guard dies if the daemon is killed. Nice little touches.

It's also worth mentioning that while mission availability and level layout are random, the game itself isn't. Patrol paths are 100% predictable. There's no roll to succeed on any actions from you or the enemy. You never feel "dicefucked" like you so often do in games where there's an element of chance.
Only time you ever feel crapped on by the rng is when a guard's patrol path leads to your starting location with no way to evade.
There were random events with multiple choice at one point during EA when you hacked a console or door. I've yet to see them in the last build so good riddance.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
There's a flag in custom campaign (which I use after getting my achievements) that prevents guards from having patrol paths into your spawn

hivemind

I loved mark of the ninja but I'm a bit reserved about how stealth works in what appears to be a turn based game.

hivemind

Eh, it looks alright, nothing too special though.

Edit: I'll probably play it still.

spectre

Arcane
There's a flag in custom campaign (which I use after getting my achievements) that prevents guards from having patrol paths into your spawn
I know. It just feels like taking the popamole route. It's in the game, therefore I gotta deal with it.
You also get used to it after beating the game several times.

I loved mark of the ninja but I'm a bit reserved about how stealth works in what appears to be a turn based game.
Don't. It works great. Unless... dunno, you hate isometric turn based strategy games. I know there are people like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom