Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with the Tyranny Writing Team at Game Revolution

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, I see. Well, I feel like elaborating anyway, so here's the deal. To me, it looks like this game is basically going to be about oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled. In other words, highly Codexian stuff. Awor Szurkrarz would approve!

But ever since it was announced, some folks (who probably fap to Space Marines going "FOR THE EMPRAH" and doing Exterminatus) have been intentionally missing the point and going like,

8Yeh5LV.gif

"Nuh uh, that's not what evil means! We're onto your SJW tricks, Obshitian!" It's not very convincing.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The point I'm making is that I agree with someone like Chris Avellone when he says the real world and its histories is such a rich source of inspiration and more game writers could benefit from it.

Well, you could just say this triviality without hiding behind Avellone's name. My point is that you were implying that Sawyer could somehow make things better because he has a degree in history. The amount of goodwill that some posters here still have for Obsidian, even after all the shit they made us eat, is laughable.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
To me, it looks like this game is basically going to be about oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled. In other words, highly Codexian stuff.

On the contrary, it's more like this game is going to be about oppressiveness from the perspective of SJWs who only read comics and watch animu.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ah, I see. Well, I feel like elaborating anyway, so here's the deal. To me, it looks like this game is basically going to be about oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled. In other words, highly Codexian stuff. Awor Szurkrarz would approve!

But ever since it was announced, some folks (who probably fap to Space Marines going "FOR THE EMPRAH" and doing Exterminatus) have been intentionally missing the point and going like,

8Yeh5LV.gif

"Nuh uh, that's not what evil means! We're onto your SJW tricks, Obshitian!" It's not very convincing.
Yeah highly codexian stuff, just read the background for Verse.

lol @ puting 40K next to this tryhard estrogen-filled thing.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

Sorry man but "oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled" is not "evil". That's just the casual egypitan empire, roman empire, etc. It's just how shit works in certain historical contexts.
When you add the recent "capitalist corporation", "nationalism" and the rest, then sorry again but yea, I go

8Yeh5LV.gif

Because that's fucking typical retarded ideological Californian bullshit.

You don't make an heroic fantasy game ENTIRELY ABOUT how "Evul won" when your definition of evil barely rise above that of a 5 retarded years old.

That said, the game and the writing and all that could be good, I'm just criticizing their PR about "evil".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry man but "oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled" is not "evil". That's just the casual egypitan empire, roman empire, etc. It's just how shit works in certain historical contexts..

Who cares, I'm not saying that it's evil. I'm saying that it's cool.

A lot of people on the Codex seem to have completely overlooked this game's grimdarkness satisfaction potential, which is aimed at people just like them. I guess Obsidian need to post gameplay footage that has that stuff.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
A lot of people on the Codex seem to have completely overlooked this game's grimdarkness satisfaction potential, which is aimed at people just like them. I guess Obsidian need to post gameplay footage that has that stuff.

Oh don't get me wrong, I also think it's cool and I'm a sucker for bronze age roman gritty shit, but as some said, source and inspiration don't mean shit, actual writing is the only thing that matters. We'll see I guess :)

Only thing I'm vomiting are the answers in the interviews (this and others) and the notion that they can, in any way whatsoever, portray any kind of evil in one of their game. They don't even comprehend the notion really.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure the kind of people employed at Obsidian have what it takes. The fact it's EBIL to begin with already sets the scene.

Sorry man but "oppressiveness, grimdarkness and people getting impaled" is not "evil". That's just the casual egypitan empire, roman empire, etc. It's just how shit works in certain historical contexts..

Aww yiss, muh grimdark
Like all members of the Chorus, Verse started out as a civilian in the southern continent of the Tiers – an ordinary girl on an ordinary farm. When the sun went down, she liked to sneak out to the barn and take a knife to the farm animals, and always sensed that she was destined for something more.
Just like muh space mahreens! Practically the right of passage of every Scout Marine! If only they added something... something... oh, Google to rescue!
vPohyhJ.png

Mate, you're really trying too hard. 40k has its share of retardation, true, but the shit like that Scarlet Fury nonsense really reeks of YA genre, and the worst of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Aww yiss, muh grimdark
Like all members of the Chorus, Verse started out as a civilian in the southern continent of the Tiers – an ordinary girl on an ordinary farm. When the sun went down, she liked to sneak out to the barn and take a knife to the farm animals, and always sensed that she was destined for something more.
Just like muh space mahreens! Practically the right of passage of every Scout Marine! If only they added something... something... oh, Google to rescue!
vPohyhJ.png

Mate, you're really trying too hard. 40k has its share of retardation, true, but the shit like that Scarlet Fury nonsense really reeks of YA genre, and the worst of it.

N=1

But I think companion NPCs are often like that. Settings of this sort tend to break down a little bit when they have stop to tell the life story of a little person. As a strategy game, a game like Myth can avoid that by keeping things always impersonal.

Last edited:
N=1

But I think companion NPCs are often like that. Settings of this sort often tend to break down a little bit when they have to tell the life story of a little person. As a strategy game, a game like Myth can avoid that by keeping things always impersonal.

I'm sorry, but no. Even most of the BG2 modders' NPCs weren't as tryhardian.

I get that you're saying that if we're trying to condense the description of a character into a small bio, it would be mundane if they won't go overboard. I disagree. What they are trying to make was successfully made by Glen Cook and some other writers, for example - Joe Abercrombie. The later one also wrote short stories, and neither his novels, not his short stories, weren't so stupidly YA-eskue. As for Glen Cook, he really declined over the years, but when he was at his top form, no one in Black Company, save for that try-hard Raven wasn't written as edgy and juvenile. If Obsi authors can't strive for that level, then they are looking at wrong inspirations (Fallout 3 & 4 raiders, for example, or The Walking Dead TV).

Even if we're talking about Warhammer, we shouldn't be talking about 40k, we should compare Tyranny to WH:FB. And while some of the novels and lore were pure shit, even Dark Elves and Chaos often weren't as juvenile as Tyranny snippets. Not to mention actual Imperial heroes, hell, even Bretonnia and Kislev ones (although later two tend to be shitty).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Threads like this are an interesting study in Yin-Yang metaphysics. It's almost as though people are inexorably compelled to argue no matter how little there is to debate.

Tiranny: a 40k where dark eldar won.
I think our Scarlet Fury is more akin to Emperor's Children than Dark Eldars. After all, they didn't specify what Verse was doing with those animals, did they.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
N=1

But I think companion NPCs are often like that. Settings of this sort often tend to break down a little bit when they have to tell the life story of a little person. As a strategy game, a game like Myth can avoid that by keeping things always impersonal.

I'm sorry, but no. Even most of the BG2 modders' NPCs weren't as tryhardian.

I get that you're saying that if we're trying to condense the description of a character into a small bio, it would be mundane if they won't go overboard. I disagree. What they are trying to make was successfully made by Glen Cook and some other writers, for example - Joe Abercrombie. The later one also wrote short stories, and neither his novels, not his short stories, weren't so stupidly YA-eskue. As for Glen Cook, he really declined over the years, but when he was at his top form, no one in Black Company, save for that try-hard Raven wasn't written as edgy and juvenile. If Obsi authors can't strive for that level, then they are looking at wrong inspirations (Fallout 3 & 4 raiders, for example, or The Walking Dead TV).

Even if we're talking about Warhammer, we shouldn't be talking about 40k, we should compare Tyranny to WH:FB. And while some of the novels and lore were pure shit, even Dark Elves and Chaos often weren't as juvenile as Tyranny snippets. Not to mention actual Imperial heroes, hell, even Bretonnia and Kislev ones (although later two tend to be shitty).

Well, we'll see. I'm prepared for the fact that the game might have some dissonance between its "typical RPG companion buddies" and your character's grimdark role. I think a Warhammer 40K RPG, if it existed, could potentially have that problem as well. Looking forward to see what sorts of decisions you can make as a Fatebinder.

Unwanted

Neyuzivit

Unwanted
On the upside, the future generation will have some people who grew up with D:OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars, Underrail,
Since those classics were so good, theyll add more of the same. The grind will kill you just thinking about it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You think it will stay a PC exclusive? The game has consoles written all over it.
People said the same about PoE. Where is the console version of PoE? The game is designed the same way as PoE, it handles the same, UI looks similar. No way in hell it will migrate to consoles.

Unwanted

Neyuzivit

Unwanted
How the fuck could Tranny possibly compare to WH40k? What the fuck is the jew smoking?
Also, Myth is impersonal. Ahahahaha.
Shilling personified.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You think it will stay a PC exclusive? The game has consoles written all over it.
People said the same about PoE. Where is the console version of PoE? The game is designed the same way as PoE, it handles the same, UI looks similar. No way in hell it will migrate to consoles.

You, uh, might want to rethink that one.

This has the same level of sophistication as Dragon Age: Origins. No way it won't go to consoles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

We'll see. I don't see a chance for a console version right now. I'm not saying that it copies PoE. But many things are similar.

We'll see. I don't see a chance for a console version right now. I'm not saying that it copies PoE. But many things are similar.

Sure, like graphics engine and environment design.

The website doesn't even describe this as a "c" RPG.

The only question is if it Day 1 consoles or post six months port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom