Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Inquisitor English Website Launched

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Indeed I love the vibe I'm getting from this game and thank you ShlongMaster for the screens and stuff. Waiting to see impression of combat.

kovi_cz

Novice
Hello everyone. We are glad to see you haven’t forgotten about Inquisitor yet, not even after all those years.

I’ve come to answer some of your questions:

Excidium: We have been working on the English version for about two years, but not continuously. There are other projects we have to work on as well – nevertheless, Inquisitor is standing quite high on the priorities ladder right now.

Azalin: I’m sure 2012 is the year of the English Inquisitor.

Licaon_Kter: Unfortunately, there is no time to make videos from the English version now. That trailer you are talking about is rather old and created in the times when the English version was just a crazy wish of a few dreamers.

General Maxson: The English translation looks promising, our proofreaders (mostly natives) are making very few changes in it.

mikaelis: There were several Czech/Slovakian reviews with mixed results:
Bonusweb.cz – 79 %; saying that Inquisitor is an honest RPG that instead of cutting edge graphics and spectacular effects prefers great and mysterious storyline, brilliantly written dialogues and suspenseful gameplay. “It’s not a game for everyone, but the fans of Baldur’s Gate will love it.” (Also, an average ranking based of 361 readers’ votes is 78 %.)
CzechGamer.com – 76 %; saying that it’s not a top-notch title, but it’s well worth your time for its fascinating storyline and the good old gameplay.
Hrej.cz – 60 %; saying that they realize that hardcore RPG gamers will definitely grumble at them for such a low ranking and with the final verdict: “If there is a game about which you could say that it’s from the old school, it’s Inquisitor–with all the good and bad that fits that description.”
Sector.sk – 50 %; saying that it’s not a bad game, rather a neat reminiscence for those gamers that were playing all previous games of this kind and that it has something to offer to younger gamers as well, even though it will be more difficult for them to go through the whole game.
Games.cz – 50 %; saying that for hardcore gamers it’s a repulsive title with absolutely horrible graphics, but at the same time saying that for the fans of smart oldschool RPGs it’s a surprisingly rich investigation in the dark Middle Ages with spells on top of it. As some readers weren’t sure what the author meant with that verdict and a flame broke out in the forum, the discussion was deleted completely and there is only one post there now saying that the graphics isn’t anything special, but that the storyline, atmosphere, fun and originality makes this game that user’s top game of the last five years, claiming it was more enjoyable for him than Oblivion – about as enjoyable as Baldur’s Gate or Knights of the Old Republic.
There were also two reviews in paper magazines – Score gave the game 80 % saying it’s the most honest, made with love and egregiously extensive clone of Baldur’s Gate and a compact hardcore RPG in which potions and spells are never enough. While Level gave it 50 % (and their review was about half the length of the opening text for the first Act of Inquisitor…).

Marquess Cornwallis: An important thing – all screenshots from the English version were captured before the proofreading began, which means that the final version will look a bit different. But as I’ve mentioned before, our proofreaders generally like the quality of the English translation.

Yaar Podshipnik: Unfortunately, there will be no demo for Inquisitor, just as there was none for the Czech version. There is no one around here who could prepare it anymore.

Texas Red: We were always saying that Inquisitor is not a Diablo clone, but you can repeat that forever and there will still be lots of people going around and saying “eh, that’s just another Diablo clone” (without playing the game, naturally). While there is a lot of combat in Inquisitor, the emphasis is definitely put on dialogues, investigation of various heretical crimes, gathering the evidence (deducing it from what NPCs tell you, from what items you find, and through the torturing as well – but there are strict rules for that, you cannot drag just anyone to the jail and put him or her on the rack – you will be able to learn more about all of this in Codex Inqusitorium which will be published prior to the game’s release), proving the guilt of the accused and – if you find the accused guilty – putting the stake on fire. As far as the dialogues are concerned, there is quite a lot of them (more than 17 MB in more than 700 plain text files). You can read more about magic directly on www.inquisitor-rpg.com (About/Magic) – you can find a general text about magic there, as well as about all 70 spells divided into 7 fields of magic.

ShlongMaster

Educated
Alright, I got a bit sidetracked with work and playing too much tribes, so sorry about the delay. More screenshots and stuff incoming soon.

ShlongMaster

Educated
The intro text after character creation explaining the story a bit.

1.jpg

The Game begins:

2.jpg

As you can see the game looks really good, everything is crisp and detailed, The UI looks nice, at the bottom left is the health, stamina, and mana. they all regenerate very slowly meaning theres a fair amount of potion spam. Also each attack uses stamina and when depleted you will no longer be able to run, so you have to top it up constantly unless you want to move at snails pace. I assume that it won't be as much of a problem at higher levels. On the right side is the quick bar going from 1-10, you can drag items and spells into it for quick use, to use the item you have to press the number for whichever slot it is in and then right click to activate it.

Inventory Screen:

3.jpg

Journal:

4.jpg

Spellbook:

5.jpg

Those 7 different colored icons at the top are the different types of magic, I only have one spell from one of the types, it's called ''cleansing'' and as you may have guessed it cleanses the player from and negative effects and curses. It states that it will cleanse any negative effects as long as their danger ( probably level ) is lesser than 20+1, the spell will also improve with levels, lowering casting time, mana cost etc.

Character menu. Stats/Attributes & skills:

6.jpg

Typical character screen where you can find out all that you need to know about your hero.

Stats/Attributes on the left side as well as damage, defense etc.
Skills on the right side ( all the names were mentioned in my first post)

There is also a morality slider, Not entirely sure as to what effect the system will be used for, but it's definitely interesting, and I hope to find out more about it.

Map:
7.jpg

Definitely one of the stranger maps I have come across in a game.

Fighting a bat:

8.jpg

Throwing a fireball at a bat, by using an item that was part of my starting inventory, it has limited charges and is usable by any class. I can't comment on the combat too much seeing as how I don't have many resources at my disposal, but basically you click on monsters to attack and use items and spells from the quickbar, just like any other action rpg ever made. I couldn't use the cleanse skill due to insufficient mana, but it would do nothing for this fight anyway so I tossed a fireball and clicked on the bat until I was rewarded with 15exp. I will elaborate on the combat a bit more when there are more options but as a low level character, my options were limited.

Animations are very simple and look unfinished but they are serviceable, also the movement animations are 8 directional so it often happens that the animation doesn't correspond with the direction that the character is moving in.

9.jpg

Found some loot hidden underneath rocks, more potions! Can't complain.
The cursor icon changes when hovering over something that can be looted, but there is no highlight nor is there a button to reveal nearby lootable objects, and seeing as how many of these objects will be very small, a lot of pixel hunting will be involved.

10.jpg

11.jpg

While attempting to enter the town a guard initiated conversation, I had to convince him that I wasn't an enemy before I could proceed, there were a few choices as to what I could say but the end result was the same, but expecting an involved conversation with choices this early in the game isn't realistic. I will be on the lookout for any choices and consequences later on.

Entering town:
12.jpg

How indoors areas are handled:
13.jpg

Town Square:
14.jpg

That's all for the time being. I probably did a piss poor job explaining the game so far :cry: but if I missed anything important or anyone wants to ask about something specific then feel free to ask.

Edit: The screenshots diidn't come out as well as I'd have hoped, it looks much sharper and detailed ingame and it turns out I was using the wrong resolution. but oh well, also I forgot to mention that the story is about, but there will be another time for that if anyone is still interested in more.

Another edit: Photobucket raped all the resolutions down to 1024x768 from 1920x1080:decline:

kovi_cz

Novice
ShlongMaster:
about animations: I’ve asked around and the thing is that every piece of equipment you can put on in the game is displayed on your character. The characters move in eight directions which means that there are eight sprites for each piece of equipment there is in the game. Altogether it makes hundreds of thousands of sprite files – and that is lots of data. To have the animations more detailed and smooth would mean a hardly imaginable amount of data which was unacceptable at the time the development started (at the end of the 90s). And now it’s too late to do anything about that.

about finding items: You can use the Alt-key to highlight all active objects in your surrounding, as you can see at this screenshot:
inq-en.jpg

Also, I’ve noticed on your first screenshot that you are playing the game in the original version, be sure to apply the latest cumulative patch (1.10) – it will make your experience better.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cool of you to drop by - will most likely be getting the english version, I don't know why but I really like this style and story, also I love what you did there with indoor locations, instead of loading indoor location and all, just opening up the roof like that.

ShlongMaster

Educated
ShlongMaster:
about animations: I’ve asked around and the thing is that every piece of equipment you can put on in the game is displayed on your character. The characters move in eight directions which means that there are eight sprites for each piece of equipment there is in the game. Altogether it makes hundreds of thousands of sprite files – and that is lots of data. To have the animations more detailed and smooth would mean a hardly imaginable amount of data which was unacceptable at the time the development started (at the end of the 90s). And now it’s too late to do anything about that.

about finding items: You can use the Alt-key to highlight all active objects in your surrounding, as you can see at this screenshot:

Also, I’ve noticed on your first screenshot that you are playing the game in the original version, be sure to apply the latest cumulative patch (1.10) – it will make your experience better.

I never knew that so much work was involved with the animations, and it definitely explains why things were done in the way that they were.

I'm aware of the alt key, but it doesn't seem to highlight lootable objects such as chests, barrels, rocks etc. It's not a complaint though, as some things should be hidden and require some effort on the players part.
Updated the game to version 1.10, thanks:)

I was wondering if you guys are thinking about releasing the game through any major digital distribution platforms, such as Steam or GoG.com. Inquisitor would fit in quite nicely at GoG.com.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Graphics are gorgeous, and if the investigation part is deep enough i'll definitely buy this...

kovi_cz
About the translation: like I said, the translation does look a lot better than I expected (what with the huge amount of text in the game) even on the screenshots, so if there was additional proofreading after that, it should be all cool.

About being a diablo clone (or not): it's a terminology thing -- I don't think people are trying to say the game is a straight copy of Diablo (it's clearly not; the gameplay is actually much closer to Divine Divinity), but that it can be reasonably put in the subgenre. ShlongMaster basically has the exact same thing in mind above when he describes the gameplay and refers to it as an action RPG (and that term has its own baggage, most people would probably apply it to something more akin to Gothic or Divinity 2).

All in all, the game was not really down my alley, but I definitely don't regret buying it. The art direction is very nice and the sheer amount of content (easily equal to 3 broadly similar modern games) should make anyone who likes the type of gameplay really happy. (If I should suggest one thing for the English version, though: it wouldn't hurt to improve inventory handling a bit, especially when it comes to buying large amounts of the same item, so that it does not require quite as much clicking.)

kovi_cz

Novice
If I should suggest one thing for the English version, though: it wouldn't hurt to improve inventory handling a bit, especially when it comes to buying large amounts of the same item, so that it does not require quite as much clicking.

Yes, we know that there are things that could have been done better, but the problem is that there is no programmer of Inquisitor at hand any more. And only minor changes in the scripts can be made now. Which means that the inventory handling will unfortunately be as laborious as it was in the Czech version.

kovi_cz

Novice
I was wondering if you guys are thinking about releasing the game through any major digital distribution platforms, such as Steam or GoG.com. Inquisitor would fit in quite nicely at GoG.com.

They are trying to. You can facilitate this by joining the Steam group, I guess.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/InquisitorPC
Steam is awfully picky, as you might know.

As Haba mentioned, we would like to get Inquisitor to Steam - as well as to GOG. We created that Steam community group hoping that a decent number of those interested in this game will join it so that Valve could see it might be worth the effort to accept Inquisitor to Steam. And we are getting new members slowly, but steadily there.:)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
kovi_cz I prefer GOG over Steam, even if it's a bit more cumbersome to patch stuff. However, I don't think this will be an issue with this game. If this hits GOG it's a day one purchase for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom