Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Driftmoon - Enchanted Edition

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played the demo several months ago and enjoyed it a lot. It isn't a hardcore RPG, of course, but I found it pretty fun - might have been partly nostalgia though, because the top-down looks and the ARPG gameplay reminded me of Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall, which I played when I was little.

EDIT: I see he has changed the camera angle. I must be the only one who liked the true top down view better.

Severian Silk

Reminds me of FATE, except with actual quests. I'm looking for something meatier though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Seems to be released on GOG now. User Review impressions seem to be rather favorable, although all they keep saying is that it's ENCHANTING due to its simplistic nature. Dunno if that's actually good or not. I'll wait and see what Codexer's have to say.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Anyone have a codex approved review yet? I noticed it is moddable but have no ideal how 'moddable" (depth and whole new scenarios able to be added?)

Apparently you missed the review?
...I did. Will look it now, thank you.
EDIT:Awesome. I think it sounds like its worth the price of admission. Going to pick it up as a time killer. Thanks again.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Okay picked up the game and played for maybe an hour and a half.

...I really like it. Its very simplistic but in this case that isnt necessarily a bad thing. The "exploration" mechanic is probably one of the better I have seen since it allows you to move things around, search 'behind' and 'under' things and there is a TON of cool hidden stuff.

-The mods are pretty sparse right now, but I imagine that the community will add depth over time.

All in all its a fun little game and one of the better purchases I have made recently... Graphics look good as well IMHO.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

You can now get this in the current Groupees bundles for $0.50 -- note you have to buy at least one other title for another $0.50 making your total commitment a whopping $1.

https://groupees.com/hh

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've tried the demo, it was cute, but not so serious, all that fairy tale atmosphere and talking animals. Just didn't catch me.

Whatever, I'm very glad that the game passed through Steam Greenlight. If I'm not mistaken the game was been in development for 7 years by a company containing only a family couple. So, hopefully, getting to Steam will involve more people in recognizing the title.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Driftmoon sales figures and wisdom: http://www.instantkingdom.com/2014/08/salesfigures/

When I first thought about starting an indie game company, I spent days researching whether it would allow me to support our growing family. I think it's fantastic that indie devs have a culture of sharing their sales figures to the public, because without seeing others succeed I never would have dared to start. Now it's my turn to tell others what one can expect from a PC only downloadable roleplaying game like Driftmoon.

My original research from 2010 showed that if I made a good downloadable game, I could reasonably expect at least $10000 if we got enough positive exposure in the press. Not enough to live on, but at least a start. Back then there was a huge rush for the preorder model used by Overgrowth and Minecraft, so I opted to try that as well. By Christmas 2010 we started selling our very own game, Driftmoon: It was my eighth game, and my very first professional endeavor. Also it was the first game created in collaboration with my lovely wife Anne. We were thrilled when the first customers bought it! And we're extremely thankful for every customer we've ever had! :D

Sales per year:
2010: $1145 + $66000 prize money
2011: $2308
2012: $4188
2013: $53850
2014 (first half): $43307
Total: $170798

In addition, Driftmoon has raised tens of thousands for charity, yay! :D

lEJ4Co1.jpg

The prize money in 2010 is the Sammon Tekijät prize, but it's not just for my work on Driftmoon, so you might want to count that out. But it's money in regardless.

These figures only contain the gross income, without deducing any of our costs or even taxes (which can be a huge percentage in Finland). I figure that there are two models for success in the indie business, either A) Keep your costs down to a minimum and try to turn your own labor into money, or B) Spend loads of money to make the game more appealing in hopes of making more sales or getting a higher price. I opted for keeping the costs down to a bare minimum, because I didn't have any cash to spend for the game, and I didn't want to take a loan. Having no extra money gets you into the proper indie mindset!

Driftmoon was released in February 2013, so that's when our preorders ended. We made about $10000 from the preorders, which was a lot more than we expected, but more importantly, it gave us the motivation to keep going! On the other hand, the lengthy preorder phase might have eroded some of the newness from our actual release. I have no hard facts to prove it, but I found that it was a lot easier to get sites that cover news stories interested about the initial preoder release - getting them interested in the fact that it had now been released for real was a lot harder. In retrospect, we might have generated more hype by starting the preorders just months before releasing, and not over two years before releasing.

There was one big change in the indie game business that had happened between 2010 and 2013. Some of the bigger online stores had started selling indie games, and many retailers asked us to join them, most prominently GOG.com and later on Steam. At first I thought it might be a bad idea to sell through other stores, because then they would own the customer, and I wouldn't even know the customer's email in case I want to update them about a new release. Also they take, in my opinion, a rather large cut from the sale. I didn't know what to do, but in the end we decided that we'd better just get the game to as many players as possible, and maybe they would buy our next game as well. I figure we've only gotten about 20% of the money through our own storefront, so I suspect we made the right choice.

Thinking about how much money we get for an hour of work, I would need to estimate how much time we spent on making the game. I figure during the seven years (working on the side of our day jobs) it adds up to about 7000 hours. I could be off by thousands. But for that amount my hourly rate would be about 24 dollars per hour, which isn't bad, it's nearly half of what I would have to pay to a plumber or an electrician in Finland. So for every two or three hours I spend working on my own games, I can get someone to work an hour on renovating our house! :D

When you're reading stats like these, and thinking about starting your own company, do keep in mind that failed projects rarely reveal their sales figures. In fact, finishing and releasing the game at all is the hard part. It took us seven years to make Driftmoon, and it wasn't all fun and games - developing a game can at times be incredibly stressful, and we were close to a burnout several times. I would not recommend a project that spans nearly a decade to anyone, except someone who is very passionate about games.

And that brings us to my closing remarks. When originally researching whether I could support my family by making games I realized something important. There's no way to guarantee any kind of minimum income from this business, making a game is always a financial risk. If you make a mainstream game, you might get lost in the crowd of similar games. If you make a niche game (e.g. flight simulator), reviewers might overlook it because their readers only like mainstream games. If your niche is small enough, it might be up to just one site to make it possible for you to reach your audience. If you started making a zombie game a few years back, you might suddenly find out that zombies are no longer fashionable. How I see it, is that you should not make indie games for the money alone. If you're just looking to get rich, go make insurance software. Making games is a high risk business, you might get more money out than you put in, but that's far from being certain.

But if you have a game floating around in your head that must come out, if there are whole worlds just waiting to unfold, and to be shared with others - that's when you should make indie games! That way, whether your game makes a profit or not, you will still have made the game you wanted to make. And chances are, your game will have completely transformed the lives of billions of players all around the world! :D

eQ7aCRZ.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

(Three necros in one page!)

Driftmoon developer's old game Notrium has released on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/349100/

This version is the Notrium Steam Special Surprise Edition. It includes many improvements including achievements, cloud saves, autosaves, combination hints for easier levels, and to top it all, a surprise!

Apparently they're working on a new game.

Buy Notrium, and support the development of our new game!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.instantkingdom.com/2020/04/testerswanted/

Wanted: Beta testers

Would you like to beta test the new updated version of Driftmoon? Do you have a device with Windows, OSX, iOS or Android? Mail me at ville@instantkingdom.com, and tell me which platform you'd like to test on, and if it's a mobile, your user account on that platform.

Ps. Our safely distant love to anybody reading this, and suffering from the virus or stuck at home social distancing! We're hoping this new build of Driftmoon will bring at least a tiny spark of joy to people during this strange time. We'll let you know more about the new version soon!

Anne and Ville

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And Enchanted as free update:

It's ported to Unity. Since they're hoping to make a new game, this could be a new base I guess: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/263380/view/2219655754218210481

Announcing: Driftmoon Enchanted Edition!
Windows, Mac, iOS, Android support. Tweaks, additions, surprises, Mystery Boxes, and more!

Hi! This is Ville and Anne, the developers of Driftmoon. The time for releasing Driftmoon - the Enchanted edition - on multiple platforms is finally here, yay!

We've had a ton of requests about getting Driftmoon on more platforms. Initially we started work on the Enchanted version right back in 2013 when the first version of Driftmoon was released, until life put a temporary stop to our plans (kids, illnesses, money issues, etc). But we never gave up on our dream of finishing the Enchanted version of Driftmoon. Finally, a year ago we had a chance to resume work on Driftmoon again, and we've worked nonstop ever since. For seven years you've been sending us countless encouraging messages, and also tips on how to improve Driftmoon, so happily we haven't run out of encouragement, or of ideas on what to do. Thanks everyone!

What's new compared to the old Driftmoon?
  • Driftmoon now runs on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
  • We've added the Mystery Box, full of surprises for both you and your friends! :)
  • Major graphics update: better textures to look better on modern screens, lightmapped shadows, the lot!
  • User interface scales better: from your smallest screen to your living room TV. (still including the possibility to adjust text size)
  • Updated user interface, easier to use and looks better.
  • New characters, items and skills (through the Mystery Box and elsewhere too)
  • Tons of bugfixes, dialogue fixes, quest fixes and improvements.
  • Improved music, with an extra melody. All music by Gareth Meek - Thank you again, Gareth!
  • Gameplay enhancements: quest reminders, Silver feather counter (very useful!), and more.
  • The possibility to recover from a broken save (not that likely, but if your disk was full or something).
  • And more surprises! Because we most probably forgot to mention everything. :)
If you'd like to see how the old version plays, or are just feeling nostalgic, we made sure you can still access the vanilla Driftmoon. Open the Steam game properties window (right click on Driftmoon name in Steam client), go to the betas tab, and select vanilladriftmoon. Both versions have separate save games, so you don't need to worry about getting them mixed up. For the techinally minded among us, we've ported the old C++ Driftmoon to C# on the Unity platform. We think it was a good choice, although it was a huge amount of work.

What's next for Ville and Anne? Now that Driftmoon is finished, we're hoping to make enough money from it to finally get the chance to focus full-time on making our own games. We already have a list of game ideas some 500 ideas long, but we've narrowed our next pick to two top candidates that sound the most tempting.

We really hope you have fun playing! If you find any problems, please tell us. The easiest way to give us feedback is through the feedback button in the game menu. And most of all, we want to wish all of you good physical and mental health amidst this strange korona struggle that the world is currently going through. Stay safe!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom