Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Incline to the Dark Ages: Let's Play Crusader Kings 2: The Old Gods

Fens

Ford of the Llies
great LP, would like to see more shots of what's going on in the rest of the world

also: bump

Tigranes

Arcane
Intermission: The World, 923 A.D.

As requested, a brief overview of Yurop on the ascension of Jarl JarlFrank, 923 A.D. (Actually, 924, but ignore that.)

uzHxWmZ.jpg

King Saebert of Wessex, (I think) the very one that kicked us out of the isle, has formed the Kingdom of England. It is still precariously balanced against the equally large, Norse Kingdom of Scotland and the Danish territories.

xpYnNi9.jpg

The hated Bitch Queen reigns in France still, into her 70s, confirming the longevity of the Karlings.

mWGGCLz.jpg

Linutika the Fat, the son of Arpad the Great, has kept the first great Pagan kingdom together in relatively good shape.

h9MWIq8.jpg

Spain is entirely overrun by the Muslims, a strange people with whom Codexia has yet to trade words, blows or wenches.

2TnnE6P.jpg

Looking East, we find that a recent $0.49 purchase has rendered the entire population of the Byzantine Empire fucking ugly as fuck. Seriously, these look like the Sims, or something.

Wb2kWZl.jpg

Georgia enjoys Divine Protection, as usual.

oZeSDGL.jpg

Rurik's legacy, too, remains intact.

mXaeR4M.jpg

And last but not least, our own Kingdom of Norway, bulging, is beginning to squeeze out Hrodgar of Sweden. We shall be Best Scandinavia!

Tigranes

Arcane
5. The Jarldom of JarlFrank, 923-943.

OKIcbEf.jpg

We now return to the story of Jarl JarlFrank I. He stands to inherit the Kingdom when her old mother cops it, and he shall dedicate himself to securing a healthy personal demesne. Queen Rikissa, and Heir JarlFrank, are seen as lucky interlopers on Haraldr's legacy, and the Queen herself is limited to the new capital of Hordaland. We shall need to ensure direct control over a sizable portion of the realm before our ascension. JarlFrank may be a zealous, arbitrary, content, shy and honest fool, but he can do it!

GXHWq6A.jpg

JarlFrank is an expert on flat terrain, having traversed his wife's flat terrain many times.

mpLhLwc.png

The result is a second daughter. Look, can someone just take these away from me? What's the point of wenches if they're not for me?

u9XXUl0.png

The Norse are such a powerful force of incline that we discovered an entirely new continent...

aa0SCd4.png

...and we precede the Domesday Book by a century by collecting a comprehensive list of all the wenches and loot in the Kingdom. This will make our subjects' quest for satisfaction efficient and systematic.

yNUYKpr.png

Told you.

0SFByJq.jpg

Finally, we turn our eyes to the first targets for some JarlFrankian Wrath. Neighbouring Agder and Rogaland, long ago conquered by ironyuri, is now held by Ironyuri II's daughter Freyja. She may be Codexian, but she is just a Pre-Release Wench, and Codexian legacy deserves a better custodian.

Csk2AcT.jpg

To the East is our aunt through Haraldr's side, Ulfhildr of Norway - the daughter of Haraldr, in fact, and the younger sister to Queen Rikissa. She inherited three counties as a result of Gavelkind distribution, and is a potential threat we should pay attention to.

qst8qB9.png

For fuck's sake. Register her in the census.

5X6KhZD.jpg

An opportunity is quick to arise; the discontent Princess begins a war for the Norwegian throne, and young Freyja has foolishly cast her lot in with the usurper. This avails both of them for conquest, at least until their rebellion meets its inevitable failure.

arXutFg.png

The Old Wench shall fall before the Young Wench.

1zflOP4.jpg

The power of timely-deployed mercenaries cannot be underestimated. They make up 85% of the Codexian War Strategy.

phhypuK.png

Of course, one-province JarlFrank doesn't have much to pay them with, and must turn to the Jews. Oh, 50% interest, I'm sure that's not a problem...

:takemymoney:

sQLO0JM.png

You freaking wenches are half the reason we're so broke. As it stands, Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind will ensure that JarlFrank's panties will be split in four upon his death.

gMEa5xJ.jpg

In debt but the war going well, we decide also to turn on Freyja and get the job done faster.

H9wjfmL.png

Agder is ours;

XDmsAEC.jpg

As is the Princess' realm. The blue-purple areas you see there (Agder, Telemark, Vestfold, Heidmark) are now under JarlFrank's rule, though the Old Wench retains the chieftesship of Vestfold and Heidmark. We are well on our way to securing Norway's most prosperous heartland.

483G4ff.png

And even better, a son! JarlFrank is over the moon. Surely, this son was born at the perfect time; he will mature as the King of Norway, and the sky shall be his limit. We will call him 'Skyway', then... what could go wrong with such a name?

UOG3S5S.png

JarlFrank is a dedicated King-in-Waiting, and commissions a legion of wooden soldiers for practice. He calls it "War and Hammers'. Perhaps it could become a popular pastime, one day.

0M3mvkh.png

Some other Wench is slurping at our demesne. We'll go soon and show her what she should be slurping at.

q7bi1RR.png

Guys, are you saying I owe you 300 now, but if I fail to pay, I'll have to pay you a total sum of 300? Are you sure you're Jewish?

HFn87kf.jpg

Raiding, clearly, is the answer. The Jarls of Jarl JarlFrank, unite!

PvWBaDi.png

Given a little reprieve by the moneylenders, JarlFrank turns to more innovative forms of incline. Surely nailing hats is an economical and stylish way to ensure the continued possession of one's coiffure?

CVceTnF.png

Every invention requires a long period of experimentation.

iorWrNq.png

And of course, every inventor is beset by those who are too mired in the decline of today, unable to see the new light I am bringing forth.

NWsuCcv.jpg

You see? There are other experts who understand!

NM1FrWR.png

Hold on, hold on. Those nails weren't free, you know.

zRf7w2G.jpg

While raiding, we discover that dear old Wench-land has changed colours a fair bit. The Bitch Queen has finally expired, and her son - who married into the Kingdom of Asturias - has now joined the two.

Sr40Hj7.jpg

Meanwhile, King Louis III, yet another Karling, has united Italy and Aquitaine in his old age, though the realm may not survive his death.

wYUz3rK.jpg

Well, Paris may be orange now, but it's still dear old lootable, rapeable Paris.

qUs1kCZ.png

Here you go. Nice doing business with you, I'll be sure to recommend Frozen-Interest Jews with others.

cExfOFs.png

Paris yields a Magic Item! We just have to go home and cast Identify at some point. (Has anyone ever got this? Does it lead to anything?)

Y1pWVzy.png

Time flies. JarlFrank, consolidating his coffers and his barracks, now takes on personal guardianship of the young Skyway JarlFranksson Codexia.

yKoU8P3.png

JarlFrank has a funny feeling that young Skyway is best described as a Zealot.

1r2Hors.png

Remember Skuld, the wench who plotted to make a claim on our demesne? Well, here's a counter-claim and invasion, bitch.

edJ4Nvl.png

Skyway's just big-boned, is all.

OuceGJH.png

Jaesun Codexia, sixteen years after the shameful end of his statecraft, dies content and useless in the capital.

mPIr0eL.jpg

Yet Queen Rikissa is still going strong, and beating down any opposition to her rule with an iron fist. When will JarlFrank get to have a go?

WDcdC9q.png

JarlFrank birthes a second son. This isn't great news for the demesne, but the father only has eyes for glorious Skyway. This one, name him whatever. We don't care. He will grow up unloved and forgotten.

Rtui3J8.png

Skuld is schooled in the art of politics. He who penetrates first, wins.

i0ORyGs.jpg

JarlFrank is now Jarl of Vestlandet and Ostlandet. Gotta Catch 'Em All.

ay80JGx.png

JarlFrank reaches the magic age of 50, when all your body hair turns white. Meanwhile, Skyway continues to grow, displaying an admirably Codexian capacity for violence.

9G4oLyb.png

Oh, and Rogaland is ours, too. Freyja now fades into obscurity, and the Codexian heritage is united under JarlFrank.

av138ov.jpg

It all seems perfect. A large demesne, money in the bank, two sons - we have done what we set out to do, and Jarl JarlFrank is ready to become the first Codexian on the throne of Norway. Surely the old Queen Mother has not long to live?

vV69Um4.jpg

Look at Skyway, growing up so well-

8K6XuIQ.png

-oh, hell no.

ariPdmN.jpg

The young Skyway is killed, a heinous and insidious crime that confounded all the detectives for the complete absence of manure. But we eventually trace the orders to Ulfhildr of Vestfold - yes, the aunt we conquered a decade ago, the younger sister to Queen Rikissa, the one who we graciously left in control of two counties. This will not stand.

ctA9dVY.jpg

Skyway shall be avenged. Ulfhildr, have you heard of my ongoing research in nail-hat-head trifecta?

LBQYyrz.png

Come, come, you are only delaying the inevitable. The racks are ready for you.

G3S5SS7.png

Yes, yes, I don't really care right now what- wait, the Jarldom of Finland?

tA9dVYc.jpg

The Queen's been busy. We have a hell of an inheritance, when it happens...

IKqWnRV.png

...but suddenly, it is all for naught. Jarl JarlFrank lays to sleep one night, plans for Skyway's revenge on his mind, and simply does not wake again. Fifty-two, he had spent twenty years of his Jarldom meticulously preparing for a Kingship that would never reach him. Now, it all passes to the forgotten son, Hiver JarlFrankson Codexia.

ujGhJAW.jpg

Young Hiver is just three years old, and the regency is taken by his mother and JarlFrank's wife, Princess Gyla of Scotland. Can the young Hiver complete JarlFrank's dream?

RylAK3O.jpg

For the Queen is seventy, and by Agnatic Gavelkind, Hiver remains heir to the Kingdom. All is not yet lost...

Next time: the regency of Hiver.

Tigranes

Arcane
6. The Humps of Hiver: Part A, 943-962

6TnZ8Sy.jpg

This is Jarl Hiver JarlFranksson Codexia, prematurely thrust into Heirship through the death of Jarl JarlFrank I. We are happy to report that, through a remarkable case of preservation, some of the text from Hiver's own autobiography have survived. While the authenticity of some passages is suspect, primarily because it begins in present tense when he is three years old, we shall now rely on Hiver's own voice for his part of Codexian history.

My name is Hiver. I'm three years old, and I'm a Jarl. You fucking moron.

TKBO9Sk.jpg

Hiver's first task was to complete JarlFrank's last war, seeking vengeance upon the bitch that dared to murder a Codexian. The Norse march all the way up to her heartland in Finnmark to bring justice upon the wench.

My troops were commanded to chant the name of Skyway with every step up the Swedish wastes. It is said that an entire generation of Swedish children were traumatised, hearing the clang of axes and masculine roars of 'Sky-way, He's Our Way' long after the fact.

lC95oDo.png

The bitch never had a chance.

16p3ZfW.jpg

Inexplicably, Hiver did not give the command to execute Ulfhildr, choosing to keep her in jail for the time being.

You see, the manure was ripe and ready, but apparently three year olds are just a tad too young for wanton execution. This is when I realised that there is a lot of fucking stupid shit in our tradition. When I am King...

BauFP2d.jpg

Of course, condemning a seventy-year old to the Oubliette was probably just a slower version of the same thing.

mYuapQw.png

She didn't last long.

And we had to throw out the manure. What a waste.

nS3qYmo.jpg

Meanwhile, Regent Gyla, Hiver's mother, continued JarlFrank's policy of gobblign up the realm's heartland in preparation for accession. Yet another fat scion of Haraldr is next.

xMuCMQ6.png

It doesn't take long, and Akershus, formerly Haraldr's capital, is ours.

sve66pL.jpg

Queen Rikissa, of course, took an age to die; and for the first time, was showing signs of weakness. Fed up with constant revolts from the far-flung Finnish holdings, she conceded a sizable chunk to the freedom fighters of Kandalax. All frozen wastes, to be sure, but Hiver would have to hope his inheritance was not being wittled away.

UQlHtRB.jpg

She lives for so long, she is venerated as 'the Old'. (Did the Old Gods mess with mortality rates, or something?)

ncVm7nc.jpg

Hiver is already six, and her mother and regent begins his formal education for Kingship.

As far as wenches go, Gyla was a decent one. She taught me how to use my polearm, how to scream like a man, how to take care of other wenches. All critical skills for a Codexian life.

Indeed, Hiver enjoyed a particularly 'close' 'relationship' to Gyla. Historians speculate that it may have set the stage for Hiver's women troubles that would overshadow his entire reign... but we are getting ahead of ourselves.

5UdWgAG.png

Hiver is told he should be proud of himself.

Gyla said I'm already as big as any boy out there.

vFwB6nM.png

And that he should stuff himself.

Not just with biscuits, either...

ZGCW5MF.jpg

But Hiver's happy youth comes to a premature end one summer. Elisabet, the oldest daughter of JarlFrank and thus out of succession, is caught shoveling a great deal of manure into her carriage; Hiver's spymaster soon reports with the news that the manure was intended for him.

Rads Elisabet, you stupid cheap moron... - I dont have any fucking reason to spare you, you may be my sister, but your brain is obviously consumed by your burning desire to cause some butthurt, and butthurt is what you'll get!

pSb0g1s.png

Hiver swiftly imprisons Elisabet, and although execution is still not an option, he seems particularly smug about it all.

Oh, yes. She better not die early, Elisabet. I have a plan for her, a grand plan. Just you see.

ezHNYoC.png

Hiver, Shy? Wait, that's not right.

aAXuNd7.png

Oh, whip me, mother! Whip me some more! Oh, I'm so shy, mother! I'm afraid to talk to people! Oh, yes!

Ah... right.

0p090r5.png

Hiver continues the century-long Codexian tradition of calling fat people fat.

Sb2voa3.png

He considers branching out from Gyla to other wenches. Surely she would approve?

QmsnTk6.png

Gyla, now aged but as feisty as ever, makes it clear that Hiver is to do his... exercises with her and only her.

I didn't mind. That burning desire to control, to repress, it... excited me.

g8okqzb.jpg

At the age of 15, on the cusp of adulthood, hiver was struck down with pneumonia - a terrible and life-threatening condition.

Apparently there is such a thing as 'too tight' when someone ties you to the bed.

bmSv3Hu.jpg

The pneumonic Hiver is then handed another devastating news. A large warehouse full of manure was discovered on the outskirts of Telemark, ownership eventually traced to Asa JarlFranksdottir, the second daughter of JarlFrank.

AUZpGRp.png

You will join Elisabet in her fate, then. I can do with two what I can do with one.

6U93mT0.png

Mercifully, hiver soon recovers; his death would have caused havoc in the region, his realm split amongst four (five?) daughters and the Norwegian succession in even greater disarray.

G79wtFE.jpg

Finally, Hiver came of age as Jarl Hiver I, demonstrating particular skill at diplomacy. This primarily involves cursing and rambling at your opponents until they succumb to your suggestion. Hiver's Norse courtiers are shocked by this new and innovative technique, but can hardly deny its accuracy.

dTv4kGj.png

And now I can finally put my plans into motion. Come, my vassals. Join your newly minted Jarl for a Blot.

oXGWN1a.png

Eat, eat! This is but a pittance compared to the true feast that is to come.

iK0SSkO.png

Ah, Asa, Asa. My stupid, stupid sister. Yes, beg! Beg and plead, even as the noose tightens! Oh, how it excites me, your screams.

RsF0QHZ.png

And you, Elisabet. Ten years I waited for this. Oh, how sweet is revenge.

DWGgs5R.jpg

You see? Everybody is happy. This was a grand idea.

yfAK1Nj.jpg

Having established his credentials with the double-teamkill, Jarl Hiver moved to the next item on his agenda; marriage. As was usual, the court provided a long list of eligible candidates, mostly consisting of young daughters of regional rulers.

You see, that was the problem. Seventeen, ten, nine - what's the fun in these half-grown wenches? I have experiences already far beyond what they know. What would I do with these playthings? No, I needed a wife that would really speak to my tastes..

3C99rY7.jpg

This one's not bad. How about this one? Looks like she'd enjoy a bit of rope.

She's... married to the King of Sweden. Very happy marriage. Two children.

aOkH4wc.jpg

This one's nice too. Even older, in fact. Could easily do some vamp cosplay.

The daughter of the King of Sweden, to his first wife.

h7LfXxc.jpg

Fine, this one?

Another daughter to the King of Sweden. Also, she's dead.

You see? This was the problem. What was the point of being a King, if I couldn't even get a decent wench for marriage?

gWs0AWk.jpg

Clearly, there was a simple solution. First, I tried to do it the civilised way.

CWfsh3r.jpg

It looked like it would work - plenty had a stake in the aging King's death, probably a portion of the realm.

hpXeYT1.png

Tuure, you rough turd of a shit.

wa1JRh4.png

Upon receiving the news that Jarl Hiver, with whom he had never had any contact in his life, had plotted to assassinate him, the King of Sweden issued a public proclamation that Jarl Hiver is a Bastard. This only served to make the young Codexian even more determined.

s5GLDt4.jpg

As fate would have it, Hiver would receive a great temptation from fate only a year later. Norrland would rebel for independence, bringing over a third of the Swedish realm with him.

lEVoqq9.jpg

How could I resist? For your wife, and your daughter, I will rape your entire realm.

m34Hg8c.jpg

Jarl Hiver's first war began smoothly. With Norrland besieging the Swedish capital, Codexian forces were free to take up positions.

NQkgW1U.png

In fact, things became even better; at an incredible age of 84, Queen Rikissa I finally expired, having ruled Norway for something like four decades. At last, nearly a century from ironyuri I, a Codexian takes the Norwegian throne.

Sm4y6W5.jpg

All his vassals hate him, of course...

shSJ11U.png

...but hiver is able to unleash the entire treasury of Norway and Vestlandet, saved during his relatively inactive years in regency. Hiver proceeds methodically, using survey research to determine how much someone hates his guts then paying them in accordance.

khTWxUR.jpg

An apparently, we also conquered Iceland. Had no idea.

lcrMims.jpg

(I actually wanted to grant it independence because rebellions there would be a huge pain in the arse, but apparently... you need to be a de jure ruler to do that? What the hell? Wouldn't it make even more sense to grant independence if you're not?)

RVQB3Fr.jpg

At any rate, Kingship hardly interrupts Hiver's quest for wenches.

dsL3Vq8.jpg

The Swedish forces finally get organised, and defeating Norrland's rebels, challenge Hiver on the field of battle. He is nowhere as talented militarily as his predecessors were, but hiver takes personal command nevertheless...

Amgdti1.png

...and is soon known as a most patient general.

Indeed, I would stay and verbally abuse my opponent all day, long after they had ceased to pay attention. Patience is a great virtue in war.

oU7B6QQ.jpg

The Kingdom of Sweden is a formidable opponent, and slowly but surely, it mobilizes a great host against Codexia.

S4x7k8D.jpg

Yet now the King of Norway, Hiver is able to command an even greater one. Sweden's armies eventually melt away into the Northern Lights, and Hiver wipes himself in anticipation.

9S99rYd.jpg

He also orders a second dungeon to solve the capacity problem.

5p2ziMU.png

Disaster! Wrapping up the war, King Hiver is maimed, and just barely survives the crushing blow.

7PoXai6.png

In tears and warbling something about sharp household appliances, Hiver retreats to the safety of the Capital.

pD1x5db.jpg

Nevertheless, it all comes too late for Sweden. The Kingdom is made Hiver's, creating the greatest Norse realm in history. The first King in Codexian lineage, Hiver is now Two Kings In One.

yn9Buer.jpg

Everyone thought I had achieved it all, at the tender age of twenty. But that was not true. That bloody bastard had not died, and retained a few holdings. He fled to Holstein, taking all his wenches. He should have known that I wouldn't stop until I had my girls.

jdThYxi.jpg

Hiver briefly considers returning to assassination, but finds there is less support for it now in Hrodgar's diminished court. Just what will it take for him to die, and for Hiver's wenches to come home to roost?

DrIPygp.png

Meanwhile, that is not Hiver's only problem; his gold is not infinite, and his numerous Jarls are growing ever more restless. There is open talk in the court that two Kingdoms is two too many for Hiver...

Next time, Hiver continues his search for wenches.

Tigranes

Arcane
7. The Humps of Hiver, Part B: 962-980

QukwjoY.jpg

We return to the life and deeds of Hiver JarlFranksson Codexia, the first Codexian King of Norway, now also King of Sweden, aged twenty-two, kinslayer and maimed in the right hemisphere of the brain. King Hiver had a crown specially designed to conceal the gigantic humps that developed in the side and back of his skull as a result of his war injury, with the result that his crown remains the largest in European history.

They told me that it was a fatal wound, and could not believe that I had survived. The Seers said I must have been blessed by Odin. They were right, in a way. You see, ever since that day, I've been hearing... voices. Voices of others. Some, of my ancestors, like grandfather Jaesun. Some, of those I have never met in this life. A man who would not shut up about 'Arcanum', whatever it is. A strange fellow obsessed with ponies. I can even see them, sometimes. Skin as red as plums, wielding tridents and scythes, some even sporting devillish tails. They give me advice. They guide me, and through me, they guide Norway...

Centuries later, one American psychologist would discover, quite by chance, Hiver's diaries in the dusty, forgotten rooms of Carolina Redvivia, in the Uppsala University Library. Reading of a man whose devastating head wound resulted not in quick death, but decades of healthy, if voices-touched life, he would develop a controversial theory of Mankind that promised to explain religion and humanity in one fell swoop. In awe, and more often, in derision, his work, and the Half-Headed Hiver of Norway, would be forgotten once again...

tumblr_lquw03lkXi1qerxuqo1_500.jpg

...but what has been written once, cannot be erased. So it is, too, with the tale of Hiver, to which we return.

40x6CWj.jpg

Hiver had succeeded in war, and carved out the greatest Norse kingdom Europe had ever seen. But Hrodgar the Great, ousted from his Swedish throne, still retained the Kingdom of Estonia and other holdings. In his capital in Holstein remained still his wife.

I had covered Sweden in blood, and still I had not my wench. The frustration of the continental cockblock was intolerable.

BhgFhqt.png

Even worse, my own vassals began to get in the way. All this talk about how I had too much authority. It's like they didn't understand the idea of 'King'.

GT2z46m.jpg

The Jarl of Iceland, weeks of travel by ship away from Hiver, was the first to rise in rebellion. It would be only the start of a decade of civil war.

U5uxcfM.png

Jarl Emund of Bergslagen, who of course was Jarl under Hrodgar I, raises arms in support of the recently deposed King.

5tPwxuz.jpg

Less than six months after conquering Sweden, we are forced to fight for it again.

uNUJydT.png

The voices knew what to do. Focus on the war, they said; delegate the wench retrieval to the professionals. Hrodgar would die, and his wife would come to my plentiful bosom.

KLiI55Y.png

I conquered the entirety of Sweden to kill this guy, do you think this was meant to be a secret?

wtjj2ji.png

Hiver loses his formerly charitable nature, despairing at the utter stupidity of mankind.

Vji23st.png

More Jarls join the party.

hTT4A5N.jpg

JarlFrank and Hiver's early work in carving out a large and contiguous demesne was all that protected Hiver's kingdom from immediate disintegration; Norway's heartland remained steadfastly loyal. Nevertheless, the rebels could collectively raise armies much larger than Hiver's.

DlRoL02.png

Hiver encounters an assassination attempt of his own. A classic trap: a narrow road, barricades on the road, a dead King.

PJSkaW5.png

I would have perished that day were it not for the voices. Suddenly, I saw an image of a great mare, leaping over the obstacles and high into the air...

1445.jpg

...and I followed it, arrows whistling behind my humps, to safety.

rJdHJYr.png

Hiver lived to see another day, and another day brought another rebellion.

V9aDroZ.jpg

With most of the realm in uprising, there was no question of meeting them openly. Hiver opted to deal with the smallest rebellion - the first Icelandic - first, avoiding decisive battles and biding his time. Meanwhile, he finally gathers enough conspirators to set the death of Hrodgar in motion...

akJCOC9.jpg

There are so many rebels around, they start fighting each other.

sVK8LHi.jpg

Slowly but surely, the rule of Hiver shall be reestablished. The Jarl of Iceland perishes from natural causes, and his young son accepts status quo.

OsbiExX.png

Just when Hiver thought there was enough on his plate, however, he finds Rikissa, his sister, implicated in an international manure smuggling operation!

Elisabet, and Asa, and now Rikissa. Four sisters have I, three had betrayed me. It was good that I had my voices, for outside them, I had no friend, no family to turn to.

fwpDCni.png

There was no question of leniency, of course.

yZ3vxyH.jpg

Goodbye, Rikissa.

qmI4clp.jpg

Hiver now had a single sister left - and himself still without a son, she became the primary heir. Ingibjorg JarlFranksdottir, Hiver suspected, would prove loyal till the end.

I knew I could trust her. You see, she was the same as I was... she knew what it was like, to have the blood of kin on your hands. Oh, yes. Her, I could trust.

o4AIEYe.png

And finally, the moment Hiver's been waiting for.

E1BCkAh.png

It's not quite as satisfying as manure, but it will do.

ZmRPc9c.jpg

The death of Hrodgar the Great takes the wind out of his supporter's sails; their war now invalidated, they return to Hiver's fold nonchalantly.

SkC1ihr.jpg

Some rebellious counties remain, but none of that matters to Hiver. Finally, over a decade later, he shall have his wench. She will be experienced, she will be canny, she's lustful, she will be all that Hiver dreamed of.

3dC0LBr.jpg

Or, you know, she will refuse to marry. (It seems this depends on the opinion of Hrodgar's son, since she remains in her court. Alas, no amount of gifts would overturn that Political concerns disadvantage, and with her being a Catholic, she wouldn't come to my court, either.)

PptUeGg.png

Not now, wench. I'm so disheartened.

C6olwjC.png

Another wench. So many wenches. But the wench I want, she ain't ever gonna be here...

7kvryzE.jpg

It appears Hiver had somehow inherited the lone county of Hereford, in England, and of course, as the King of Sweden, his vassal, the Jarl of Bergslagen, owns the Danish county of Jylland.

T1x5OuS.png

Look, here you go. I don't even want them.

z2wA1bf.jpg

I don't want you either, Bjarmia. You can have your frozen shit and bearded wenches.

ETk6xkc.jpg

On his thirtieth birthday, Hiver finally gives up. He allows himself a permanent wench for the first time, a strong and lustful wife that will speed the coming of a male heir.

The desire of my loins shall never be fulfilled, but I am a King, and I must leave a scion. Codexia shall not end with me.

q2KWec2.jpg

Quality eluding Hiver, he adopts for quantity, at least.

AHnOZbN.jpg

More.

UktDfFF.jpg

More! Bring all the wenches in the realm to me!

Ka9Kjls.png

After years of frustration, Hiver bursts forth like a dam.

JNQq9vE.jpg

Meanwhile, he also completes the affairs of state by agreeing for Jarl Freyr to become an Independent King of Sweden. In the same family as Hrodgar the Great, he will take Sweden's de jure territories.

7uKQuE5.jpg

And so, the affairs of Hiver finally settle. The Swedish and Finnish territories are entirely given up, but de jure Norway remains whole. It is from this loyal, prosperous land that Hiver shall build a Norse Empire to last the ages. After all, it remains the most powerful of the Norse kingdoms; Sweden, as you can see, immediately devolved into civil war.

Oh, and yes, the great Potato's been there a while. World Update coming next time.

yseyNC4.jpg

Before that war ended, though, apparently our Queen went and got herself imprisoned. The Danish wench is in no mood to release.

yvktzOT.png

A wench that we can't bone is no wench worth keeping. We divorce, two months after marriage celebrations.

04zp2ub.jpg

Hiver quickly finds a pretty young thing for remarriage.

With a face like that, she can caress my humps anytime.

47WynnQ.png

Just one loose end remains: Svanhildr, Hiver's great lust, what Lacan would call his objet petit-a.

If I can't have her, then she must not be real. That's the only way it can make sense.

OKsMnum.png

Yes. Anything. Just do it, quickly. I don't want to know.

7i5Jarq.png

At least she died a true Codexian.

fwORD5S.jpg

The tumultous affairs of the loins now in order, Hiver turns to developing Norway's wealth and power. Recent wars have suggested that it simply does not have enough firepower. Hiver institutes a novel system of retinues, a standing army of professionals who do nothing but train all day to fight for Hiver and Hiver alone.

MKOtPKB.png

The concubine Ylva yields a wench.

The wrong kind, woman. Try again.

bAghFAF.jpg

Meanwhile, neighbouring Sweden remains a boiling pot, with King Thorbjorn taking over. Everyone agrees that such a brilliant beard deserves a kingdom to go with it. Hiver sends his regards.

yOup6ne.jpg

Why, hello, Paris. We haven't done any tax collection in a while, have we?

VWTJpvt.png

More ships mean more loot to carry.

o8QddvE.png

And at last, the succession is ensured. The Kingdom of Norway shall remain in Codexian hands. Hiver opts to call the child Cleve Blakemore Hiversson Codexia, a name that most of the courtiers find impossible to pronounce.

The voices told me. Cleve must be his name, they said. He is like us. He too can hear the voices. He will hear them better than I ever could, for he is born with it. His skull is shaped in the right way...

LpVnukG.jpg

Prince Cleve shows early signs of stuttering, and is a son of a concubine, but none of that shall stop his path to glory.

wURMWu6.png

The Norse: bringing incline to every corner of Europe.

SaWuD0E.png

Cleve will grow up surrounded by wenches.

I88GQtZ.jpg

But what next for Hiver? Now entering his fourties, Half-Headed Hiver remains alive and well. In neighbouring Sweden, Thorbjorn has died, allegedly tripping on his own beard, and a succession crisis has erupted with a nine-year old at the centre. Should we retake that crown? Or will we again be stretching ourselves?
Next time: Hiver invades... something.

Tigranes

Arcane
Nerd Reference: Julian Jaynes, an American psychologist, was notorious for his 1976 book in which he argued that man was once 'bicameral'. He asked: how is it that much of what we do is not 'conscious' (e.g. you can even talk without being 'conscious' of it, if we define 'conscious' as a presently aware and deliberate control of one's action), that we leave so much of our daily life to the nonconscious? What if man once behaved - indeed, built civilisation - without being 'conscious' int he same way we are? Latching onto emerging findings in neuroscience, he asked: why are the 3 areas of the brain which govern speech, including Wernicke's Area, all in the left hemisphere (for right-handed people)? Why, in writings as late as The Iliad, do we find no mention of 'consciousness' or any 'mental activity', even though we hear talk of gods and many other things besides? Essentially, Jaynes made an argument that man was once bicameral, and our right hemisphere also had corresponding speech functions, through which man literally 'heard voices'. Thus, for ancient man, the Gods were real insofar as you could hear them speak to you; you were not 'conscious' and did not have 'memory' or an ego in the same sense.

The thesis is almost impossible to confirm, of course, and has been much maligned, but I must say reading this book greatly heightened my enjoyment of the Codex. (Also, I have no idea how Hiver isn't dying, he's been maimed for 20 years and I never reloaded...)

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
The thesis is almost impossible to confirm, of course, and has been much maligned, but I must say reading this book greatly heightened my enjoyment of the Codex.
I suggest you make a thread in Science about it and invite nomask7 for discussion :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
8. The Humps of Hiver: Finale, 980-982

This will be very, very short.
Srwd2sc.jpg

King Hiver is now in his forties, having finally settled the affairs of his loins and of the throne.

qAM9ZeL.jpg

What now for Hiver the Half-Headed, Hiver the Kinslayer, Hiver the Wenchmuncher, Hiver the Odd? He gazes out from his throne in Telemark, the fog obscuring an even murkier continent of turmoil and war.

cMGXQSw.jpg

The Great Potato has died an invalid, his kingdom losing healthy chunks in the process, but the young Potato seems to be holding on to an impressive amount of territory for now.

2zpvJm9.jpg

The Byzantines are having another of their periodic existential crises, but possibly worse than it had ever been. Its two traditional nemeses - the Turks and the Bulgars - have squeezed them thin, the Abbasid Caliphate even claiming Thessalonika. Of course, Byzantines being Byzantines, they choose this moment to also have a civil war with the Nikaean cause for independence in full flight.

Nd1rkk4.jpg

But most interesting for Hiver is England. Once a hodgepodge of ambitious Norse conquerors, the Norse kingdom of Scotland has turned fully Catholic, while the Wessex dynasty is slowly but surely gobbling up the rest under its Anglo-Saxon banner. Jaesun had claimed some of these lands in Codexia's name, decades ago...

w8rtJQY.png

Meanwhile, Cleve Blakemore grows into an angry and spiteful young man, making everyone in the court very proud of him.

0Wr90er.png

Young Cleve has a very powerful sense of justice. He is convinced that he is right and everyone else is either incompetent, disloyal, or both. Hiver tells him this is a critical trait in good governance.

jtXymOz.png

Hiver has little to do in peacetime but break beds, and soon another son is born. We can safely assume that the naming process was again delegated to the voices.

Actually, that time, it was a hallucination. A most wondrous sight, a field full of multi-headed cows...

brahmin.gif

Yes, exactly!

kgw127K.jpg

A few days later, King Hiver invites the court for Multi-Headed Cow's baby shower. Everyone is merry, and little cow seems a healthy young boy. Suddenly, Hiver grasps the humps on his head, screaming incoherently...

BRAINTURD! BRAINTURD! BRAINTURD!

...and collapses. He's dead before he hits the floor.

qloSchB.jpg

And thus, in 982 A.D., Norway welcomes its second Codexian King, Cleve I Blakemore Hiversson Codexia, at the tender age of seven. He is already equipped with the temper and judgment of a ruler, but will he be able to keep the realm together? And what ambitions does he hold for the middling kingdom? Will he head Eastwards, to reclaim his father's claim on Sweden? Over the sea to England? Or even further afield?

meE2cby.jpg

And how shall he negotiate his three-day-old brother, Jarl Cow of Ostlandet, who has taken fully half of Hiver's personal demesne with him?

Next time: Cleve shows you what he can do in 17 years.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Long live the Kool King Kleve!!!

(But "Hiversson" sounds like a genetic disease.)

Edit: King Kleve sees the future. He has already predicted the fall of Byzantium.
You should ride the african machete rape gangs to delay the fabled ITZ day.

thesoup

Arcane
Can King Kleve bring the much needed incline to Europe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom