Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Drakron

Arcane
Exmit said:
I wonder what is her 'role' in the development team (mastermind Oleg is the older one)

:D
"her"
:lol:

Ilya Shevchenko, better known as 'Luthier', is an accomplished pilot and an aviation history expert. His involvement with flight sim development started in late 1999, when he began working with Oleg Maddox on the then recently announced Il-2 Sturmovik.

Exmit

Scholar
Drakron said:
Exmit said:
I wonder what is her 'role' in the development team (mastermind Oleg is the older one)

:D
"her"
:lol:

Ilya Shevchenko, better known as 'Luthier', is an accomplished pilot and an aviation history expert. His involvement with flight sim development started in late 1999, when he began working with Oleg Maddox on the then recently announced Il-2 Sturmovik.

There was a picture under my post,,, it got deleted i think.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
overtenemy said:
Bros, question: if this game is being published by Ubisoft, doesn't that mean it'll have fucktard Ubisoft DRM? This only recently occurred to me and my rage is approaching critical mass. Anybody got any news as to whether or not Ubisoft is on the verge of ditching their ridiculous MUST HAVE INTERNET TO PLAY SINGLE scheme?

I read somewhere that Oleg doesn't want such shitty DRM in his game, but who knows? I think Oleg doesn't have to go through UBI anyway, 1C had become a big enough player since 2001 to be able to negotiate from a strong position with any western distributor or even do it themselves.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Storm of War is now IL2 Cliffs of Dover??

It was announced Battle of Britain. Guess what, I like it more.

When will it be released, by the way? Not many of the folks from the 2003 announcement are still waiting that's for sure.

On the other hand (and hilarity aside). Perhaps this is really the last real flight sim EVER. When it comes out this will be either a huge flop or the Falcon of WWII Sims. Worth getting.

P.S. when it has shitty UBI DRM they can forget about my money.

Exmit

Scholar
^ Release is stated for march

as for DRM, Ubi dropped the ' you need to be online 24/7 to play games' scheme.
There is only internet activation, which i can swallow as already i had a taste of that with blood bowl.

Burning Bridges

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/15/ubiso ... -still-in/

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/16/ubiso ... -a-decade/

trollface.png

Exmit

Scholar
fucking ubi

i guess i'll have to wait 5 years for Cliffs of Dover 1946 edition that has all 5 expansions

Exmit

Scholar
Romance in Il-2 lol , i thought only bioware can do that......

The romance is based on an event that happened to another veteran. He had been secretly admiring a girl that worked in the mess hall for months. She wasn’t like the other girls at the airfield. Usually she wouldn’t give men the time of day, but did seem to like him more than the others. She had never been in a plane in her entire life, and one day she suddenly agreed to let the gentleman take her for a ride. They met in a hangar after dark and climbed into the cockpit of a fighter that was normally a tight fit even for one. Disregarding common sense, our friend took off into the night, stealing a kiss as he did so.

Tearing herself away, the girl spotted something blue glowing in the distance. It turned out to be an enemy plane approaching their airfield. Our friend’s instincts took over, he wheeled around, got on the German’s tail and shot him down in flames. The girl’s shrieks were even louder than the sound of his machine guns.

He landed. She ran off into the woods to hide. He got a medal. They got married.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/08/il-2- ... hevchenko/

123tbd.jpg

Oleg what have you done lol

Exmit

Scholar
CoD will remain a niche game thanks to Ubishit being shit as always, and apperantly Oleg does not care enough as he did for first il-2 which he worked on single handledly.

Things are not looking very good right now, many features have been cut, no dynamic campaign, no dynamic weather, no new clouds - they are the same as in old il2. Seems many features have been taken from old il-2 and enhanced slightly - i don't believe it is a totaly new engine.

I'm afraid this will not be so good as everyone wanted it to be on the 1st day of release. I'm certainly not buying it 1st day, i need to first see multiplayer options, now i know i won't buy it for static campaigns because they were always shit from Oleg, the only redeeming quality to buy it would a great dynamic campaign but that is a no go, last thing is the multiplayer, if it will be good i will buy it.

Burning Bridges

Exmit said:
Things are not looking very good right now, many features have been cut, no dynamic campaign, no dynamic weather, no new clouds - they are the same as in old il2. Seems many features have been taken from old il-2 and enhanced slightly - i don't believe it is a totaly new engine.

I don't care too much for dynamic weather but from the screenshots I begin to wonder if there are weather effects at all :) As to dynamic campaign if they kept the structure from previous games there will be a DCG in short time. Perhaps it's ok to leave certain parts to the community. For they have much more time to invest in polishing certain areas. Of course only if the structures are still the same or at least open to external modification. But I agree the static campaigns in IL2 were a big letdown.

Von Paulus

Educated
Burning Bridges said:
I am now more and more leaning towards Rise of Flight. Soon it will have a new campaign mode, and the online DRM was removed some time ago.
That's not entirely true. And specially with the new campaign mode.
The new Career will be require online connectivity just as it does now. It is part and parcel to how our system works. No online, career broken and does not work.

We suggest Pat's Career if you want a totally offline experience. He's done a great job. In the future as we grow our content and engine features even more the advantages of having an online requirement for some features will become more apparent. It's not all about DRM like some like to pretent and try and make us look bad.

COD adopting Steam shows just how important an internet connection is these days to help manage users, content, patches and add-ons. We can't satisfy everyone all the time. We've come to live with this fact.

Someday we too will use Steam (although not in the same way), but right now the cost and time involved in that is too much to justify the effort. We have other more immediate features that you guys want we'd rather spend our time on.

Jason
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost3228452

Besides if you want a really WWI sim with a historical and semi dynamic campaign you should try instead Over Flanders Field. It hasn't RoF's FM's, DM's or even the eye candy, but in terms of immersion, true historical accuracy and campaign mode is miles away from RoF.
http://www.overflandersfields.com/

Burning Bridges

Hm looks like you are right. Apparently they lifted the online requirement and now they want to impose it again with the campaign mode. One of the more complicated variants of bait and switch.

Good that we waited!

By the way I know OFF P2, and I like it very much. But it is just a mod, and you see it. The installation also became corrupt and unstable after some days of intense playing and it was extremely tricky to re-install.

Good if really no company wants my money, there is still BoB 2 with the 2.11 patch http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21865 its campaign beats the pants off the new sims anyway .. without facebook, steam or any other crap.

Von Paulus

Educated
Burning Bridges said:
By the way I know OFF P2, and I like it very much. But it is just a mod, and you see it. The installation also became corrupt and unstable after some days of intense playing and it was extremely tricky to re-install.
Never played much P2. With P3 never had that kind of problems.
It's a mod, but they overhauled and tweaked a lot the engine. Sure CFS3's legacy it's there, but what the devs accomplished there it's an admirable work. I wonder how much they will be able to surprise us with P4

Burning Bridges said:
Good if really no company wants my money, there is still BoB 2 with the 2.11 patch http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21865 its campaign beats the pants off the new sims anyway .. without facebook, steam or any other crap.
QFT. With a great campaign and a great AI, BoB 2 it's probably the best WWII combat sim.

Exmit

Scholar
Russian version is out, and the first videos are popping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O0s_tVPJcc

The game requires a very strong pc to run okish. Oleg said himself that they made the game with it to be 2 years ahead of its time and thus the requirements are big.

What you see in the video are the lowest settings, and it looks like most of todays games highest settings.

PC of dude from video

C2D E8400, 2Gb RAM, Ati HD4850, W7 x86 SP1

Setting in game - low...

Burning Bridges

nothing but water in the video .. and yet a bit jerky. Extrapolating from this it will run like shit over cities.

piydek

Cipher
The game looks amazing. I wonder what it looks like on high settings. I believe this game is a real CPU-eater. Not so much complicated stuff for GPU to render, but lots of shit happening for CPU.

Von Paulus

Educated
People are complaining with low framerates and no SLI support. The culprit seems to be the imposition of an epilepsy filter by ubisoft.

I want to confirm that everything said here is true, we have implemented some drastic features for anti-epilepsy protection which are affecting FPS and killing SLI support.

We CANNOT make these optional. That will allow an opportunistic or an unfortunate person suffering from epilepsy to sue Ubisoft for damages and literally close down the studio for good.

This was a stop-gap measure to make sure the game gets released. As I explained in the clumsily-translated Russian article, everything in our game causes seizures - gunfire, explosions, fire, sun passing behind canopy framework, etc. Basically flight sims are an epileptic's nightmare.

We'll work to improve the framerate and perhaps address individual issues individually as opposed to applying a single rough post-effect filter, but it is basically a very sad situation. Something completely unrelated and unexpected came to our sim with a giant axe and whacked at it at the last moment. We just didn't have time to properly address it.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.p ... stcount=55

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost3244491

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom