Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you're so mad with current cRPGs then why...

Why don't you make your own cRPG full of incline using already existing toolkits?

• I just want to play them.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I'm useless (can't code, or write, or do artwork).

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I'm too lazy (I'm useless option for the cowards).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My idealist cRPG is so good that it would take 1000 years to make, so I rather don't do anything. (t

• I'm a coward and don't want to face the anger of the codex when I show them my game.

• I'd rather use my free time to fap and spam/whine the codex (sometimes simultaneously).

• I'm happy with current cRPGs.

• OP is a fa- a fantastic scholar of the internets (option for those who don't like cRPGs).

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

kaizoku

Arcane
... don't you butthurt the whole internets?

... don't you take advantage of the great modding capabilities that The Last of the Mohicans offer?

:love: games that offer modding:

Fallout 1, 2 (lots of tools and several mods already done and ongoing)
Baldur's Gate 1, 2 (same as above)
Arcanum (allows creation of modules)
The Temple of Elemental Evil (amazing work by Co8 and lots of tools and documentation)

There are possibly other games or toolkits that I can't recall.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Because Codexers have lives and jobs and thus don't have the time to learn how to mod their favorite games or dedicate effort into making a whole new game from existing resources.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Lack of time, skill and willpower. I might just put something together but not in the foreseeable future.

MMXI

Arcane
Because it's fucking difficult. Seriously. Especially on your own.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I'm taking a class this semester where we have to mod Neverwinter Nights. We'll see how that goes!!

The very first games I ever made were in Unlimited Adventures and they were pretty awful. I made some really stupid stuff in that Playstation RPG Maker game and another stupid thing using the computer version of it. I'd like to make at least one substantial mod eventually because it would look good on a resume, but there aren't any games I'm interested in modding that have the tools (except for maybe Knights of the Chalice 2, which isn't out yet). More importantly, none of the games that are out are capable of what I want to do.

Just build your own tools and make your own game.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
if you don't like these radio stations why don't you set up your own radio station

if you want to play new space sims so much why don't you make your own space sim

if you want to live longer so much why don't you do your own life extension research

if you hate politics so much why don't you make your own government

if you want humanity to colonise the stars so much why don't you become john carmack

Cassidy

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
if you don't like these radio stations why don't you set up your own radio station

if you want to play new space sims so much why don't you make your own space sim

if you want to live longer so much why don't you do your own life extension research

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
saying you have this feature is well and good but how are you going to distinguish your product from Rance and similar properties

will there be procedurally generated targets and a reactive world for example

Erebus

Arcane
I once created a NWN1 module using the Planescape setting. Very short adventure, yet it required a rather exhausting amount of time. The fact that I had absolutely no clue how to code anything that wasn't extremely basic really limited what I could do. I was satisfied with the writing and the characters, but the story ended up almost plagiarizing several works I liked (such as the very good Elegia Eternum). In the end, I barely got a few comments and I can't say it really deserved more.

I started working on a more ambitious module, but my Compaq laptop self-destructed before I could think of saving any of it on a CD. It may have been for the best. :)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
cboyardee said:
I'm taking a class this semester where we have to mod Neverwinter Nights. We'll see how that goes!!

The very first games I ever made were in Unlimited Adventures and they were pretty awful. I made some really stupid stuff in that Playstation RPG Maker game and another stupid thing using the computer version of it. I'd like to make at least one substantial mod eventually because it would look good on a resume, but there aren't any games I'm interested in modding that have the tools (except for maybe Knights of the Chalice 2, which isn't out yet). More importantly, none of the games that are out are capable of what I want to do.

Just build your own tools and make your own game.

:oops: Would you like a beta tester?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When a group of programmers or some brave Developer (Hi Obsidian!) do the following, the motherfucking incline of cRPG gaming will incline so fucking much, the codex will explode:

1. TOEE like turn based combat
2. A 3D and Tile Based "Area" design system like NWN2.
3. A powerful and flexible scripting system, similar to NWN2's scripting system.
4. A huge selection of art assets, equivalent to what is available in NWN2.
5. Any type of user created rule system.
6. Facegen tech, similar to what Oblivion uses.
7. Fully customizable camera.
8. SpeedTree

If this ever happens, I'll never be playing or fucking care about any of the fucking shit "Action" games that are labeled "RPG's" that are shit out by BioWare, Bethesda etc...

EDIT: The Engine would be Open-Sourced. Added SpeedTree.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
When a group of programmers or some brave Developer (Hi Obsidian!) do the following, the motherfucking incline of cRPG gaming will incline so fucking much, the codex will explode:

1.TOEE like turn based combat
3. A powerful and flexible scripting system, similar to NWN2's scripting system.

If this ever happens, I'll never be playing or fucking care about any of the fucking shit "Action" games that are labeled "RPG's" that are shit out by BioWare, Bethesda etc...
That would be awesome.

We would only need that game and another one with rules/assets for modern settings and we'd be set with enough incline for a lifetime.

bhlaab

Erudite
Yeah if it was a situation where I was telling a bunch of other people to do the things I don't know how to do like program everything and create all of the art assets to meet my unique snowflake vision and not want to be compensated for their work with money that'd be fantastic.

bhlaab

Erudite
Drog Black Tooth said:
Ask yourself this: if you wrote your own book, would you find it an interesting read?

Word processors, typewriters, and pencils are cheap and easy to use enough to at least try it and find out.

J1M

Arcane
Jaesun said:

1. TOEE like turn based combat
8. SpeedTree

EDIT: The Engine would be Open-Sourced. Added SpeedTree.
Why does it have to be 3D? Why do you need 3D faces? Why do the trees need to look different?

A user created rule system is about half of the work for an entire RPG if you want something as complex as D&D.

#1, 3, and 4 should be all people need.

Multi-headed Cow

I'd rather use my free time to fap to Bethesda game mods.

Did a shitty module for NWN1 and mostly completed a second part for it (I WAS AHEAD OF THE CURVE BROS the module would spit out a ticket at the end which the second module would take for inter-module C&C before they added the ability to do that naturally in NWN) and then got lazy trying to make a cutscene and quit. Then I helped a few bros with scripting in a couple other modules and that was the end of that.

Thought about fucking with Fallout 3 and later New Vegas' tools, but since so few quest mods get made for Bethesda games I always assumed there was some horrendous reason for that. Maybe I should give it a go at some point, I dunno.

mondblut

Arcane
I am not touching anything gamedevelopment unless I am getting paid for that. I'd sooner watch anime or have a male on male chew chew hound intercourse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom