Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want your opinions on video games. For science!

Gav391

Barely Literate
Hey all,

I've made a survey that tells you what type of gamer personality you are. Are you an Immersion Engineer, or an Escape Artist? Do you battle with real people or seclude to the shadows in a world of your own making?

The reason why I made it is to gather research on people's gaming behaviours. This study for my masters thesis at The University of Sydney. Now as a gamer myself (WoW Heroic Tomb of Sargaras Raider), I feel like I have a good grasp of the gaming community, but as with all things, you need to do the research to confirm/disconfirm these assumptions.

The survey itself is looking to explore information about:

• Different aspects of your personality

• What video games you play

• How much you play by yourself and with other people

• The impacts of your video game use on your daily life

You can find a link to the survey and more information here (you might need to disable adblocker):

https://sydneypsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9WtE0LKWzw4yvBz

So let me know what you think. Do you think I guessed right? What did I miss?

One more thing. A survey like this is limited, and doesn't give people a voice to add what they want to say. I really encourage open opinions about the video game community and maybe how the news and public have a negative view of video games. Whenever I present, I add the personal messages people have sent me to encourage other researchers to remember that we are people too, not just numbers. Tell me what you think and let me know if I can share your comments in my presentations.

Thank you,

Gavin

Prime Junta

'k

S10IvfN.png

Severian Silk

9ucBwFR.jpg

I don't really fit the gamerholic category you're looking for. I usually spend more time modding games than playing them, and I can stop and put my mods aside when I need to. (There's not much pressure on me to complete them, and I do them more for relaxation and intellectual stimulation.) The problem I have is more related to social media and a lack of socializing in public, rather than to any obsessive gaming habits. I'm surprised you didn't ask more about that.

On the other hand, I'm a mental patient who lives with his mother, so maybe that will skew your results too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayyālu

Arcane
It's lovely to realize my Medieval History degree seems to be almost dignified compared to such drivel. At least I can admit what I study without causing bursts of laughter (usually). But who I am not to help a fellow? A fellow that's very very worried about our gaming addiction?

Graphic.php

Graphic.php

I'm rather curious how Dominions 4 is evaluated in your papers, young one.

Kitchen Utensil

It's funny what kind of shit you can study at universities nowadays. Masters thesis? This? Hahaha. Sorry.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this what they accept as a master's thesis nowadays? Well, I really shouldn't be surprised, as my academy allowed a dissertation explaining the numerous sub-genres of metal music. But, really, of all things you could be scientifically studying in gaming, you chose a pop-up Facebook-like quiz?

Dayyālu

Arcane

:lol::lol::lol:

I feel the need to explain, and to also blow a nice hole into the OP facebook-style quiz. See, most of my gaming time is wasted on Dominions: a game needs months to be finished, and diplomacy (mostly through Private Messages or in-game messages) is essential to victory, with alliances and trades.

By replying honestly to the test (that the game required social interaction to be played well) I was placed into a category that isn't mine: the mere fact that there are games that require different kinds of social interactions than "gaming social experiences" isn't allowed by the structure of the test itself. But of course, I doubt OP even considers "gamers" boring people that play War in the East and the like.

Jazz_

Arcane
That shit wasn't a survey on videogames, it looked more like a survey made by dr Phil or some other oldfart who doesn't understand videogames to make you feel bad about playing them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
got the same.

Anyway this doesnt feel like a masters thesis. Bachelor? I can understand. My thesis is crap and half assed too but nowadays you need a degree to land a decent job. Anyway i hope the personality thing is just a survey feedback/reward thing and not an actual part of the research because if so.

:lol:

Anywya good luck and welcome to rpg codex where everything is shit

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Guess I'm an average Codexer, got reclusive tactician/immersion engineer. Hardest part of this quiz was figuring out what genre to but Sid Meier's Pirates! under.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom