Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'll follow this. Always been meaning to get into DF but never got around to it.

TripJack

Hedonist
muddy water can be magically cleaned by running through a pump iirc, think it works for desalination too

of course the only thing you need fresh water for is keeping sick dwarves alive

Cassidy

Arcane
Cassidy, if you need any help on the modding side I'm pretty handy at that.

Thanks, but I got everything properly set already. The only features I would like to add but couldn't are those the current DF can't support anyway.

First update coming right up. Bear with me, it won't be very impressive nor long as my primary focuses were to rush stone-fall traps in enough time and locate a water source that will spare me the burden of turning ice into usable water for irrigation. Of course I bought lots of food and drinks, far more than the standard load on embark. I'll probably end it in two updates and pass on to Krash. Hopefully I'll get water and irrigation on before doing it.

Also, there is a button that allows you to control FPS cap in-game, I'm not sure if it's CTRL+SHIFT+PLUS or MINUS or if it is ALT+SHIFT+ or just SHIFT+

Capping FPS is safer, but I love playing the game at high speed at the early years when there is not much happening. All you need is some good traps and a well designed entrance to prevent FUN.

Also, how can I use magma to melt ice into usable water? I never did it before in DF and if I don't find the underground caves I'll need either it or the "ice becomes water after a large enough cave-in" trick.

And finally:

RNG got the Fortress Name as "Virgintraded" and the group name as "Wet Avalanche"

:lol:

Not as awesome as anusblaze sure, but I think it is sufficient.

And I'll write some fun backstory first, I like it. But I won't write too much(I hope) so don't worry.

In any case I'll post the update proper separatedly so if you wish to skip this, do it.

=================

Countless eons in the future after the events that transpired in Virgintraded

sws189.jpg

"...This expedition will place our University in the forefront of Antarctic exploration,..." the speech echoed through the university halls, as several geologists and researchers both anxiously and enthusiastically awaited to discover who among them would be invited to this prestigious scientific project over the harsh winters of the frozen continent. That is how everything began, I remember clearly my joy when my name was announced, and now I wish I was never chosen to lead this long journey into a corner of this world human civilization never touched. Not to dismiss the great importance of our discoveries there, like the fossils of an ancient hominid and ancestor of our race that was shorter but of sturdier bones than ours, and the ruins of an incredible underground construction they left behind long after their end, indicating they had a degree of mastery of geometry and mechanics equal if not superior to that of the ancient Romans, and definitively superior than that of medieval times upon which most of their artifacts equate. I had no problems in letting the fossil and some of our photographs of those ruins be exposed in a museum, and if those were the only discoveries, it would have been a successful expedition free from incidents.

I wish not to write detailedly about the other discoveries we made there. From all the team I asked utmost confidentiality as soon as we began to find evidences upon that scorched wasteland of ice, lied more than just the ruins of a civilization older than human history itself and akin to early Renaissance in its developments except for no evidences of gunpowder. All I am willing to write on the matter, even though I am the only one likely to read this, is that I don't know I if will ever feel peace and safety again upon unveiling what lies beyond the prying eyes of our race, buried and hidden for eons: the primal, ancient forms of intelligence that thrived and still thrive in advanced civilizations since we were still learning to walk upright, and the feeling.

I don't know how to describe it, but it was like I was gazing upon something that shouldn't belong to this world, I won't give the details for the sake of the sanity of whoever is unfortunate enough to mistakenly read this. Something must have, somehow, transported countless millions of tons of rocks from another world to ours eons ago, I am sure of it, because I have found some structures buried over the ice from materials that are completely unknown by our chemistry and found nowhere else in Earth. Among them a bluish ore that could have many applications as it is lighter and with better tensile strength than steel from what I analyzed of it, but I seriously advise anyone to never explore that place, because no business opportunity from trading such a valuable item justifies the unleashing of sleeping horrors that lie there.

A few moments after the geologist finished writing in his diary, he heard a writhing noise.

One week later, the landlord decided to check the geologist apartment as he went missing. He found no sign of him, or of whoever might have kidnapped him. All left was the geologist diary, which he promptly took in curiousity. It didn't take long for him to set such diary on fire, but it was too late as he so painfully learned from his now permanent living in an insane asylum.

Nevertheless, he thanked God no mining company got their hands in that diary, for no profit of the world would pay off the consequences of exploring the unique resources in those frozen ruins. But he couldn't recover: the nightmares that began after he finished reading the diary tore a small piece of his mind apart every day, until there was nothing left of him but a drooling, catatonic blank.

Cassidy

Arcane
Optional soundtrack: Nordland

From the diary of William Urvad, Head Researcher of the Wet Avalanches.

u6yvN.jpg

We did it! Avoiding all the Yetis and Polar Bears was complicated, but finally we found what is the only volcano in this land! The potential of this place is buried under the ice to the eyes of the simpletons. Most would consider it madness to attempt settling a mining outpost in such a desolate location, but the volcano shall provide much of our needs.

WVXuc.jpg

Without the need of coal to power our furnaces and smiths, Virgintraded has a bright future ahead as one of the leading producers of all kinds of metal items. That a new age just began can be only a sign that our settlement will have a prophetic role in the times to come as well.

eazSG.jpg

Of course, that is not the only reason I was drawn to the challenge of taming one of the harshest regions for our civilization, The Green Standard. It all began one year ago, while I was still in the healers guild finishing my novice training. During my sleep, I had constant dreams of land of fire and ice, I felt drawn to such place, I just knew I need to be here, because that is my call, and I have now answered it.

Now, we evaded all polar bears along our way, I believe.

11sEH.jpg

Or at least almost all of them. We cannot afford to let our food supplies be stolen by the wild, yet now it is too late. Those plump helmets are gone forever. I can only hope we won't be on such a straw that they will be missed.

evbaG.jpg

Bastards! Not only they stole our food but they also killed two of our four dogs. I must ensure we will have some basic defenses once we have dug in a path to our underground settlement.

EUNqB.jpg

xiugu.jpg

I have ordered maximum priority over the construction of basic traps to protect our just established fort. Meanwhile I hope they will finished unloading all the supplies inside soon. That blizzard is unforgiving. The miners are working hard to build rooms for all of us and one of the smiths, still waiting for the time to start the magma forges, volunteered to work as a carpenter even though he knows nothing of carpentry. I suppose that given enough nails driven in the flesh he'll learn something while he builds our beds. Good thing we brought wood with us, enough for 12 beds. That should do it for the entire existence of Virgintraded. Who would want to migrate to a place like this besides my closest friends?

Ej4JL.jpg

I received very good reports on rich gold veins. Oh dear, I bet some fools will think this is a golden city of dwarves the way rumors grow, and will try to migrate. Considering the distance from the capital, they will hear lots of lies about this place and do it.

2wTnT.jpg

And a few months after we arrived, the first trouble started trying to get inside our fortress. Yetis. I am thankful we built our traps just in time to stop that one. One lost day, even one hour of delay in their construction and setting up could have led to disastrous consequences. Luckily the beast fled after the grievous wounds inflicted by falling stones. We have no weapons here, at least not until we get the magma forges up and running, but I must not distract myself from the most important goal right now: get water somehow from somewhere to begin farming before our booze runs out. At least we won't die of starvation, if those Yetis keep trying to get in and we build an extensive enough deathtrap of successive falling stones. I wonder if they taste like chicken. Sooner or later I'll find out, I suppose

TCMgS.jpg

Why am I calling this mid-summer? There is no season here, only eternal frost. Of course I am sure the blizzards become even harsher than they already are during the winter, but really, the word summer makes little sense in this place. Not that we couldn't build some fancy magma-heated water pool after we've taken care of our essential survival and security needs to pretend that we are enjoying the "summer" of the hotter southern lands once we get our breaks.

In any case, four people joined our project. I believe there were more but these four were the only who managed to survive all the way through here.

HEa43.jpg

First, another miner. I can't be more grateful. I heard an anedocte on how in most recently established fortresses only the most useless migrants like potash makers join. Too bad we have only three picks and will need to set up the magma furnaces and forges first to get another one for him. I guess we need haulers too, considering we got a stone crafting permanently so we will have something to trade once the first caravan crazy enough to come here arrives, there is never too much space for stockpiling trinkets like stone earrings, and all that rock needs to be dumped first from the stockpile rooms as they get expanded

BdrZP.jpg

Then, another farmer. We'll need his professional skills soon, but right now he will be even more important because of his combat experience. Now I see why this small group survived all the way here. Too bad he didn't bring his own warhammer so we will have to forge one for him as soon as our forges are operational.

oNHaU.jpg

Two hammerdwarves are better than one. So far no useless immigrant, great!

nP0JT.jpg

A cook will be useful to make us more delicious meals after we find water and start up our farming, and he knows how to use a crossbow well. I can't believe all of the first immigrants to arrive here had useful skills. I suppose the harsh environment is too unforgiving for potash makers and soap makers to make it through. We better not have many more until we get our farming working, and so far we dug relatively deep but no signs of an underground river or cave yet.

RsOTu.jpg

To accomodate our new arrivals I already ordered for new rooms to be dug. There is a surplus of beds ready to be placed over them once they are done. At least we had the foresight to not end like most fortresses settled in environments with little to no wood and can sleep somewhere else than in the dirt. I heard some complaints though on how my office was too large. They don't really understand. And I even built my bedroom on the same size of all others as a sign I consider all here equal.

K45Fj.jpg

I don't know how I could explain the reason for the weird-shaped wall in the middle of my office. I just told them in all due honesty that I had a foresight I should design such a place like this, and that it is some kind of sign, I don't know, perhaps a protective sign. Too bad it seems to be ineffective at warding Yetis but we have stone-fall traps for that too.

tYyfP.jpg

Along more Yetis being pounded by rocks and disrupting our workers in their agony, I receive great news! Our miners found an iron ore while they were digging down in search for underground water. Actually I'd prefer to find water right now but we still have a reasonable stockpile of booze, and food won't be a problem unless we get a dwarf that refuses to eat meat. But what kind of dwarf would act like that? Even those pansy elves have no reservations about eating meat!

cDck6.jpg

It's getting colder. Good thing we have all we need underground. I'd hate to face the weather outside right now: imagine once winter comes.

D07yy.jpg

First the good news:

We definitively have good stuff: gold and iron, and maybe even more different ores elsewhere. And with that volcano, and the room for the forges and furnaces already built, all we need is to dig a channel below the furnace and forges room, build a floodgate of something that won't melt in magma, and channel a path for the magma below to flow and power it.

Damn immigrants though. I sent a letter to the kingdom informing we don't have a self-sufficient settlement yet so that they could stop them from coming. I suppose the courier died on the way through.

7FVJq.jpg

And finally, we got one of those pesky yets down for good. Our militia, if a bunch of unarmed dwarves with only two of them having any military experience could be called one, shoved that thing in the right place and in the right time and a stone crushed its head.

gaQSX.jpg

Now I'll see how Yeti meat tastes like. The smartest always beats the strongest, and the way we took down it with no casualties just proves it.

PS3uj.jpg

We'll definitively have no problems with food. Drinks aren't a problem yet too as we still have a large stockpile.

mdQ7O.jpg

The bad news, other than more mouths to feed, is that our miners made a very deep excavation and found no signs of an underground cave or of water. I think we'll have to find a way of melting that ice, and it is salty ice, so we'll have to both melt it and remove the salt. Although I don't need water, if any of us ever gets hurts, and I'm sure sooner or later that ought to happen, and we have no water good for drinking, he will be as good as dead.

At least we can still farm with salty water... we just need to find a way to melt it first.

Dorfs available:

• Kib Utharkadol, Miner
  • Cerol Sigunalil, Ranger
  • Datan Fikodagesh, Fishery Worker
  • Feb Kabastesh, Miner
  • Nil Kilrudidash, Farmer
  • Cerol Aleknomal, Carpenter
  • Alath, Asteshletmos, Farmer
  • Morul Umstizmafol, Miner
  • Mafol Kogantomem, Hammerdwarf and militia commander
  • Zaneg Kezatreg, Miner
  • Kogan Sazirtekkud, Hammerdwarf
  • Logem Endokbetam, Mason
  • Kogan Bistokdastot, Stonecrafter
  • ezum Eralsolon, Mechanic
  • Datan Asmeldural, Child
  • Lorbam Bakustmeng, Child

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well at least the Wet Avalanches found some iron and gold FUN bait. Who needs underground fresh water when you have that.

Hopefully we'll find fungiwood for those booze barrels and bins eventually. At least Yetis and Polar Bears will provide the dorfs with all the vitamins and minerals they need to happily get wasted on swamp whiskey work their lives away until the inevitable ITZ.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Ah, A new DF LP, and in a badass location no less. I'll definitely sign up and some point. Also I'd like to pick Mafol Kogantomem the Hammerdwarf.

Cassidy

Arcane
From the diary of William Urvad, Head Researcher of the Wet Avalanches.

wpcwv.jpg

U8tM4.jpg

I wish Yetis had booze instead of blood running in their veins, because if that was true I could just stop bothering with the issue of the lack of water. Nevertheless I decided what will be done: I'll order for the miners to dig a large tunnel beneath the ice, then once it is done, seal it and channel from above to open a path for magma to get in, hopefully thawing the ice above it, and get not so far from that a large area with a single connection to this ice that will be melted where a floodgate will be placed to control the flow of what I expect to be a large amount of water once the process is concluded.

0VVLh.jpg

TbhI8.jpg

Can't believe it, but not only some traders dared to travel here but also the liaison did. I will have a long day trading for booze and plants that can be distilled into booze in our own still, and maybe some steel and steel items for melting as I'm not sure if there will be flux in this place. I supposed that the rumors have spread far and wide now. The miners found some really large deposite of gold and hematite down there.

9dpvE.jpg

On not so good news, it looks like the caravan drew parasites, and having no real military I have taken the decision to ignore it for now. Hopefully this creature won't avoid all traps.

As for the irrigation, it was partlly successful, and that is perhaps an optimistic statement considering how it went.

JnQa2.jpg

For due to obsidian formation only a fraction of the water got through, and at the wrong place. Now it was not the time to bother fixing the irrigation project. Instead the little soil that was generated was immediately tapped for plump helmets. As for the trade, we gathered most of our rock and bone trinkets and sold them for a good price. The liaison asked about what we need the most so they will focus exports to our fortress on it.

Q0i0Y.jpg

I think I made it obvious enough.

zwdJA.jpg

On the other hand, crowns seem to be very valuable

With the magma flowing below after the unsuccessful irrigation, I decided it was about time to get the metalcrafting industry up and running. I'll do so before my retirement comes. I just noticed something funny though, the gold we found has, how should I say: a slightly different color from the gold of all other locations, something more whitish. But its structure properties are perfectly the same.

5L83a.jpg

My time running this fort is almost over. I'll have a little rest soon. With the purchases of plants and drinks we won't have any issues with alcohol shortage for the next year. And I was right was along, the more the miners dig the more they believe they found the mythical land of gold.

UyXG9.jpg

Two furnaces and a forge are operational and ready. I ordered for the gold to be used on barrels because the wood we bought from the traders is scarce and we'll need it for beds, while all this gold isn't. Finally, gold bins will also help a lot in inventory management.

aZ98R.jpg

With at least some plants and a small amount of water requiring only a channel to be reachable were found, although ideally more water should be located instead, the miners can focuse their efforts in finding the depths and whatever of value could exist further down.

8Oguo.jpg

And something is definitively found: a network of underground caverns which I promptly ordered the masons to wall-off.

E2ViC.jpg

It was a nice year, considering where this place is and how uninhospitable it is. But I failed to really build a proper water reservoir or irrigation system. It'll be to the discretion of the next Overseer whether both are really needed or not. Now I'll return to medical duty, and bookkeeping, and I hope there won't be tough times ahead. Our stockpiles of both food and drinks are quite elevated and I see no immediate threat to our survival.

Here is the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6126

Also remember there is a space connecting the fortress with the underground cavern that needs to walled off, just as a precaution.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Virgintraded - the dwarven Eldorado :salute:

Hopefully the nascent industry will be enough for Krash to arm our dorfs with some proper weapons.

Yeah better those masons wall off the cavern of FUN. Last thing our dorfs need is "Garok'gnush, the eleven-eyed obsidian-scale arachnid with 8 tentacles that breaths fire, beware its mighty spittle!" showing up.

Krash

Arcane
Man that was fast, nice work Cassidy. Guess it's my turn to assume control. Hoping the yetis will keep on delivering food to Virgintraded's doorstep.

@ Hellraiser: we don't need weapons when we have dwarf honor. :obviously:

@ Tripjack: Do not question my grammer for it is impeccable. :obviously:

ED: Claim some dwarfs dammit, or I will do it for you.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No fortress is complete without an Ulminati. I also have a very stylish beard and a foul temper, so I'm basically like a very tall dwarf.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I want to keep my pick a surprise for maximum lulz, I have plans. Although they may get ruined by the sufficient conditions not being meant. Do not worry bros, while hilarious these plans will not doom our mighty Virgintraded. I think :troll:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If possible, I'd like to pick Kogan Sazirtekkud, Hammerdwarf and soon-to-be crippled bait and / or deranged cannibal.

If not, Morul the miner. Let his pick strike adamantium and not beyond.

Krash

Arcane
The following are extracts from the diaries of Krash Sigunàlil, from the early days of Virgintraded.

2po9rv4.jpg

A portrait of Krash Sigunàlil
3dcno.jpg

Who is Krash Sigunàlil – from the archives of the Green Standards

Krash’s diary, 2nd of Granite

Well fuck me sideways, we’re finally here. I swear if I see the sky one more time I’m gonna puke. I never thought I’d be thankful for all the blizzards, but at least with them I didn’t have to feel that open, yawning void looming over me. And let’s not even talk about the climbing. Holding onto icy ledges, avoiding avalanches, it was a real adventure, I tell ya!

The supply depots in this place are full of gold barrels and bins. And I don’t mean that they’re full of gold, I mean they’re actually made out of it! Seems the rumors were true. Maybe my luck’s finally about to change for the better, Òrdir* be damned.

*Òrdir the Crazed Slaughters is the Green Standard’s female dwarf god of chaos.

2vwv6s8.jpg

The dwarfs here seem friendly enough. Some are a bit withdrawn sure, but I’ve already made a few nice acquaintances. I keep forgetting their names, but that’s what the wife is for!

There’s Ulminati the miner. He doesn’t look like much, save for a very impressive beard, but people tell me he’s good at what he does. He’s one of the original seven, as they like to call themselves.

344r24g.jpg

Then there’s SerratedBiz the engraver. He tells me he’s actually a former adventurer and a hammerdwarf and that this smoothing walls business is just a temporary job assignment. In fact, he even claims to be the one who killed the starved troll bride who harassed The Green Standards back in 218. Sorry buddy, but I’m not that credulous. It’s not like he’s the only SerratedBiz of the Green Standards, right? Still, he seems like a swell guy.

335eekn.jpg

zxo3fd.jpg

Another good one is Sanjor, who’s teaching himself the art of smelting stuff. Really, how hard could that be? Just chuck the ore into the smelter, then pour it to bars. We dwarfs don’t even need tools like those blasted humans. But anyhow, Sanjor’s a rather nervous dwarf, always worried about blood gnats or so his wife tells me. He seems to me like a bend rather than break type.

14uvqbo.jpg

Sanjor gets smelting help from JagreenLern, who’s also the militia commander here. She seems calm but isn’t the most patient she-dwarf, let me tell you. She seems really ambitious too, and often takes initiatives, which I guess is good when you’re in a position of responsibility like hers.

33mld3o.jpg

I guess I should mention William as well, though I don’t really know much about him. Bit of an odd fellow, if brilliant. We had a short chat and he told me that he’s leaving the daily running of the fort to me. Apparently I’ve made a bit of a name for myself from my mountainhome days!

n6uo9x.jpg

Krash

Arcane
Funfact - I haven't even unpaused the game yet. That'll be next update.

A few FUN observations:
  • Every fucking dwarf seems to have a wife/husband + eleventeen kids. When casualties mount it'll be glorious.
  • Most dwarfs worship a Goddess of Chaos for some reason. Prophetic?

Phelot

Arcane
I somehow missed this thread. Could it be that the spirit of Anusblaze lives on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom