Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix I am Setsuna - Out now

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
http://www.iamsetsuna.com/us/

Wikipedia said:
Gameplay
I Am Setsuna is a role-playing video game in which players take control of a party of characters, navigating environments from an angled top-down perspective. Locations such as towns and dungeons are reached by navigating the game's overworld. In towns, the party can talk with villagers to reveal plot elements, and find treasure chests containing useful items. Various items such as healing potions or "Mistone" items for escaping from battle are sold in shops in towns and across the world.

Enemies are represented by icons: contact with the icons initiates a battle. Battles take place in the environments where the enemy is encountered rather than shifting to a specific battle arena. Characters' health and magic meter are respectively represented by HP and MP. Characters fight using a version of the Active Time Battle System featured in games such as entries in the Final Fantasy series: after each action is taken by a character in battle, an ATB gauge must fill again before another action is taken. Actions by the party include attacking, using magic, or using an item. When all ATB gauges are full, the order of characters' actions can be selected. Each time an action is taken, or the ATB gauge is allowed to fill a separate "Setsuna" gauge is filled: when full, actions are granted power boosts if using specifically timed actions when activating an ability. These boosts can be dealing multiple versions of the attack, recovering health, or dealing critical damage to an enemy.

Premise
The game begins on a snow-bound island, which is regularly beset by angry demons. According to an ancient custom, a maiden is sacrificed to appease the demons. The demons grow restless once again, and the girl Setsuna is chosen as the sacrifice. Together with a nameless mercenary, a former traveler named Kuon, and a carefree veteran soldier named Yomi, Setsuna begins her journey to the ritual site on the edges of the known world where the sacrifice will take place.
iamsetsuna.jpg

iamsetsunatoo.jpg

Some gameplay :

I will connect my PC to Steam for once.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like the graphics but the gameplay seems to be very shallow and grindy.

Great for the mobile games-loving young gamers to play at home after maxing their credit card at Clash of Clans and mobages to while the days until they received their allowance.

Meaning, the developer probably going to find great success in Steam for both Japan and America market since he cater to the biggest gamer target group of all.

Love the soundtrack. The intimacy of solo piano may be effective in this throw back. Reminds me of the almost exclusive instrumentation of Arcanum.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It looks very cool to me. Square Enix releasing a turn-based JRPG with good art on PC (and not only on an handeld console) was not really predictable with the amount of moe and action garbage with AI-controlled companions we recently got and considering that Square Enix only releases action garbage and puzzle games.
Probably :d1p:, unless it's very expensive.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is the same character illustrator as Granblue Fantasy, right?
UGAnFYe.png

And googling the title "I Am Setsuna" gives me some Gundam 00 results. :M

KfNDGbk.jpg

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And googling the title "I Am Setsuna" gives me some Gundam 00 results.

This was actually the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. "I am Gundam."

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this. What's even more interesting than the game itself is that this seems to be an experiment to see if people are interested in budget JRPGs styled after '90s classics. Hopefully it does well enough that they create more games in the same vein.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks cool as fuck. If it was RPG Maker it would look exactly like Chrono Trigger.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks better than Bravely Default at least. I'd play it.

Funny how such a winter-centered game is coming out in the summer, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chrono Trigger was shallow and grindy. :M
:hmmm:

D-d-d-d--d...

DEAL WITH IT!!!!!1111

Speaking as someone who has enjoyed JRPGs since the SNES days and who has 10 of them for his 3DS, most JRPGs are shallow and grindy.
:hmmm:

Most if not all JRPGs are designed in such a way that you are never ever required to grind. Almost every single Final Fantasy can be won while running from every fight and minimizing XP. This is true for Chrono Trigger as well. That is the opposite of grindy. And 'shallow'? They're entertainment. Name some games that are not 'shallow'?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom