Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "How Kickstarter Saved Obsidian" - Kotaku interview reveals cancelled Obsidian RPG Stormlands

Harold

Arcane
Feargus prefers to bend over to publishers and russian mobsters, even though he keeps getting fucked over by them, chokes at having to fire people, but has to be yelled at by his most autistic subordinate to even consider undertaking something which he perceives as a risk. In the process he also loses MCA, his company's most valuable asset, most likely by making him write pitch after soul-draining pitch for said publishers/mobsters, instead of putting his creative talents to good use.

Feargus is no CEO, he's a CCO. Chief CUCK Officer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm mostly just talking out of my ass anyway.

No shit. :P It's their only IP at the moment, I think they have to gamble on it. The alternative is that they created an Obsidian-owned universe and ruleset, the company's first, just to milk it to death, which seems short-sighted. I mean, we know that Interplay was in heavy debt in the late 90s (tens of millions of dollars), but they still gave BioWare what they needed to create BG2.

But anyway, it's not clear to me that "following the Baldur's Gate trajectory" would really be all that expensive in the first place.

No shit. :P It's their only IP at the moment, I think they have to gamble on it. The alternative is that they created an Obsidian-owned universe and ruleset, the company's first, just to milk it to death, which seems short-sighted. I mean, we know that Interplay was in heavy debt in the late 90s (tens of millions of dollars), but they still gave BioWare what they needed to create BG2.

While it's technically an original IP, it seems a bit of stretch to say that the selling point of PoE is its originality, rather than its similarity to decades older IP's. That's why I'm not seeing your comparison with Baldur's Gate: gambling on a sequel to an original game (BG1) being a higher selling success is one thing, gambling on the sequel to a nostalgia project being more successful seems silly, especially when we're assuming that the kickstarter has already shown a decrease of enthusiasm.

But anyway, it's not clear to me that "following the Baldur's Gate trajectory" would really be all that expensive in the first place.

How much more did BG2 cost than 1? 50% at the least, right? So let's suppose it follows the Shadowrun setup, you're talking at least 1 mil less for the KS, then Feargus would have to dish out 3 mil to follow the trajectory.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While it's technically an original IP, it seems a bit of stretch to say that the selling point of PoE is its originality, rather than its similarity to decades older IP's.

It's their sole intellectual property nonetheless, they have to nurture it.

How much more did BG2 cost than 1? 50% at the least, right? So let's suppose it follows the Shadowrun setup, you're talking at least 1 mil less for the KS, then Feargus would have to dish out 3 mil to follow the trajectory.

Eh, it wouldn't surprise me if BG2 was cheaper, even a lot cheaper, than the first game. It certainly took far less time to develop.

While it's technically an original IP, it seems a bit of stretch to say that the selling point of PoE is its originality, rather than its similarity to decades older IP's. That's why I'm not seeing your comparison with Baldur's Gate: gambling on a sequel to an original game (BG1) being a higher selling success is one thing, gambling on the sequel to a nostalgia project being more successful seems silly, especially when we're assuming that the kickstarter has already shown a decrease of enthusiasm.

Eh it wouldn't surprise me if BG2 was cheaper, even a lot cheaper, than the first game. It certainly took far less time to develop.

Seriously? Pretty impressive if that's the case. Ok, I'm operating on the wrong assumptions then as usual ;).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Eh it wouldn't surprise me if BG2 was cheaper, even a lot cheaper, than the first game. It certainly took far less time to develop.

Seriously? Pretty impressive if that's the case. Ok, I'm operating on the wrong assumptions then as usual ;).

It wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. I imagine that a lot of early Kickstarter teams spent a lot of time developing and getting used to new tools, processes and design sensibilities. We may look at Obsidian and see a bunch of former Black Isle/Interplay people, but to their average programmer, artist or designer, this is a completely new world. So it wouldn't be at all surprising if they could now develop higher quality content faster. Look at Dragonfall vs SRR as an example of this principle in action, especially given that we know for a fact that HBS' decision to go with the hand-drawn iso graphical style caused no end of development problems.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
article-lg-baratheon.png

Copper

Savant
I think the 'saving' here is more of the spiritual kind than the purely financial, even if it came as too little, too late for Chris. It sounds like they were looking down the same barrel as Troika - business opportunities, but not ones to be passionate about.

Seerix

Arbiter
Obsidian was calling the game Stormlands, according to a source, and they’d designed it to be one of the Xbox One’s premiere RPGs, but Microsoft axed it during a final greenlight meeting.

Obsidian and their amazing deals with big corps, always at it's best when teaching as all 101 in "How To Get Fucked In Business" class. :)

I would think that a reasonable thing to do for them would be trying to make smaller games and make profit that way, but small games needs to be "fun" and that seems to be a problem at Obsidian. :roll:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It took getting close to bankruptcy and Sawyer threatening to quit for them to consider doing something as safe as a BG2 clone? No wonder MCA left.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think it was designed with anything in mind considering it's more or less just KOTOR with new content
They did actually make the UI better for PCs. Bioware's was shamelessly phoned in.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fergus is a doodling idiot who I wouldnt put in charge of cleaning the toilets in my company, he sounds and acts exactly as what he is, a creative manager who can put a team togther but has no business knowhow or the personality to make mayor deals. In that sense Kickstater really saved the company since it was a pretty good showing that the company had the trust and money of almost 80k suckers (like me) to give them money up front for one of their projects. Hopefully this will translate into better deals with future publishers but we will see... If they get to do a Fallout expansion I will be more than pleased too

roshan

Arcane
It took getting close to bankruptcy and Sawyer threatening to quit for them to consider doing something as safe as a BG2 clone? No wonder MCA left.

I'm guessing the next kickstarter was meant to be his baby, but after seeing the reviews and sales for Sawyer's Golden Turd, Feargus decided to just kickstart and keep pumping out Shitternity sequels.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, when are we gonna interview Sawyer and/or Obsidian? We got PoE, PoE's expansion, Kickstarter, MCA and Stormlands to talk about, and they clearly are on a PR tour, trying to raise awareness...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Re: Obsidian management not believing in Kickstarter

It's tempting to pin it all on Feargus (and he is the boss, so the responsibility is ultimately his in any case), but do note that there's evidence that another co-founder of Obsidian, Chris Avellone, was also pretty skeptical of Kickstarter at one point. He was skeptical of it even after Wasteland 2 was funded - he's said a bunch of times in interviews that only when Torment was funded and Star Citizen started racking up really big bucks was he convinced of Kickstarter's long-term viability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom