Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Vibalist

Arcane
The thing is, making difficult and fun challenges is a waste of time when the mission can only be played once. I don't think we will ever see scenarios where lots of new stuff is going on and where the target is guarded by new NPC's with different patrol routes or where new assassination opportunities are present, because why waste time programming all of that for something that becomes unavailable the instance you finish it?
The entire model with the elusive targets suffers from the flaw that if they make them too good, they will have wasted resources and good game design on what is essentially a one off instead of making something that lasts, but if they make them too plain, rote and boring, then why even bother creating these contracts to begin with?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, I'm not saying they should sink dev time into making "Elusive Targets" super deep or complicated; they should just make them harder after people get used to the format. 50 bodyguards, locked room, whatever. Make it so most people lose, so they're exciting to do and - importantly - watch other people do. Nobody wants to watch a streamer do a hit their grandma could have done, but imagine the excitement if "Vibalist's Elusive Targets record is undefeated, but only 5% of players have beaten the Ice Cream Man mission!! He only has one shot, can Vibalist keep up his winning streak??" That's the kind of thing this system seems tailor made for.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
My fucking SA was ruined by the guard being killed by the stun bug.

Oh well, I guess I could've restarted.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What? So not only are they doing episodic content, but also time-limited content? (In before "everything in life is time-limited somehow" etc)

How do they justify this? I guess they really want those early adopters.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Something like a "true" ironman mode sounds like it might fit the series really well, although what Vibalist said about the quality of those missions is 100% true. Even if the missions themselves aren't necessarily always all that great, they might shift the focus from trial and error to having to do some actual planning, which might change the formula just enough to make even a very simple mission seem fresh and interesting. Blood Money especially becomes a pretty different game if you go ironman and stop looking for the perfect solution to each mission (in a "normal" playthrough it's an automatic reload if you blow your cover or get into a firefight), and this looks like it takes it a step or two further. Then again, if there's a time limit, I'll probably never get to play any of those missions.

There's no way I'm going to get this before it's finished, but how much is there to play in each episode, for a single playthrough ignoring all that extra stuff like the Contracts mode or Elusive Targets? How would you compare the amount of content to the first four Hitman games based on the episodes so far? I do appreciate replay value, but if it's just a handful of actual missions, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother, no matter how good or replayable said missions are.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Heyyyyy. Does anybody know how to get Silvio in the church? I swear there's gotta be a way to get him there in order to drop the bell on him, right? This is like the ONE thing I can't figure out!

p.s. the sniper/telescope was mad brilliant.

Astral Rag

Arcane
vSKtTav.jpg

:roll:

So guys, I'm not really digging this misogynistic concept of Hitman. Are there any news on when we'll get to Hitwoman?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha it's like that episode of the Simpsons with the protests against Michelangelo's David.

bonescraper

Except Hitman is just as good as the "classics" early hitmans and stealth games, while Doom is not.
He was talking about the painting, idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom