Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hey guys. forum newb here looking for advice..

cudadown

Novice
Hello, New to this forum. You guys seem to know a few things about gaming so I wanted to ask a question....

I have become extremly bored with games lately and I cant quite pin down whats bugging me most. Most games I try and get into seem to be lacking something and I dont exactly know what that something is. My Favorite games are rpg type with rts a close second. I currently am sitting on;

Eve
bf1942
DAoC
Panzers
Mohaa
Medieval total war
Shadowbane (sucked)
NWN (Didnt care for it much)

Anyone remember that old dos game called balance of power? Where is something along those lines. Is there a game where your in a postition of power like president, mafia chief, ceasar, king...etc. Where diplomacy is detailed and setting up a goverment and making policies is highly involved but not stupid tedious. Say I'm a king of something and I have advisors who report situations in different area and I can send armies out of make treaties. How about a sort of situation where you can send assasins to kill others and maybe even have guards bring someone before you and you decide guilt or inocense and lay down punishment. Trade would be important in this game but not where i have to pick every last friggin piece of grain and where it goes. Cant I hire or appoint a person (NPC) to run it and I just over see the whole thing and make changes when needed. Turn based, Real time... I dont care either way.

In the conflict area, how about I decide to attack or not and using Generals that I develope and appoint, I decide when and why to attack and my armies go to it and I dont have to mouse laso around little stick figures trying to keep them all in a nice neat box. The generals can send reports back stating situation and requests (reinforcements..etc) and I have desisions to make from there. And if a campiagn somewhere isnt going well I can replace leaders.. hell, behead them if I want. Religion, Politics..etc should be involved in some form.

These ideas can work on any scale I guess. It could be President, Ceasar, King, or even a Mafia family in some big city. Different scale but same premise.

What the hell game am I looking for. Every time I play a new game I find a few things I like but really some up wanted in the end. And something very important, I do not want to play a linear Campaign. I don't want some one elses goals. Just set the thing up and I'll take it from there. Any thing out there like this?

Spazmo

Erudite
Republic: The Revolution. It's not out yet, but it's a game where you play as the dictator of a communist nation and have to keep the population good and repressed.

Tropico might do it for you, too.

Sabotai

Liturgist
I'd say: Rise of Nations. Quite a lot of fun.

(on a sidenote, Astromarine, were we seperated at birth or something? We joined 21 and 22 January 2003 and both have 124 posts this last 10 minutes). Tell me, how old are you?

Sabotai

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Close enough. So, which one of you guys is the evil twin? :lol:
That's easy, Astromarine lives in Switzerland. On this planet, Switzerland is the country with the closest resemblance to Les Champs Elysees, I'd say that's a damn good cover. So it must be him.

Jed

Cipher
Sabotai said:
Astromarine said:
1975. August
1974 April. I could have sworn.... unless my parents have lied to me about my birthday.
May 1975. Nice to know there's others of my own age on here. Gaming forums have a way of making one feel like a very grumpy old man...

Araanor

Liturgist
Strategy?

Not quite what you're looking for, but get Europa Universalis II (with patch). Grand strategy going from 1419 to 1819, play any country in the world and use any strategy you feel like and watch an alternate history unfold. The game focuses on the big picture, diplomacy a very important part. Steep learning curve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom