Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hex: Kickstarter MtG

J1M

Arcane
http://www.hextcg.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/description

This game sells itself as a "MMO TCG". Most of you probably remember the very successful kickstarter campaign that you avoided because most of the reward tiers translated into in-game power.

The rules are essentially the same as Magic: The Gathering. The differences comes into play with things like "equipment" for your "champion" or cards that are altered during play.

eg. "Give creature +3/+3. Put this card back in your deck with cost reduced by 1."

The beta is free to try right now. My first impression is that the AI is not very smart and that tournament play outside of drafting would be a nightmare. It takes longer to play than Hearthstone, primarily because Hearthstone made the decision that you cannot play cards on your opponent's turn.

I went with the bunnies starter deck (aka squirrels). In my experience, top-decking situations and mana-screwed are deciding games too frequently. Due to the large numbers of ways a player can purchase power increases (upgraded cards, socketed cards, champion equipment, better cards, etc.) I don't suspect this will be a fun pvp deck building game. That said, it could be interesting if they can deliver on their promises for solo-adventures where the challenges are tailored to a choice and consequence model and involve building a situational deck.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i tried this and it's basically a mtg rip-off, and i don't even have time to play the actual mtg these days, so i'll just stick to hearthstone. i found it a bit boring to be honest.

J1M

Arcane
Having now completed the tutorial, it seems quite obvious that this game is 100% pay to play and pay to win. After doing the tutorials I was given 3000 gold. For doing an adventure I received a couple of hundred gold.

Most items in the store must be purchased with platinum, which is obtained with real money. There are 6 individual cards available on the store as well... for 25,000 gold each. :lol:

It appears that in order to play the real game, you must grind for hundreds of hours with whatever starting deck you picked blindly. It would be a lot more fun to just pay a $60 fee and have everything unlocked.

da_rays

Augur
Tried this a few months ago....solid gameplay....but yeah iits totally a MtG ripoff , and with the only option to get decent cards ( in decents numbers ) is to fork over some platinium and ...well yeah...its $$$ to Win sadly...I was liking the gameplay , but dont have the cash to get myself in yet another CCG. aint seen nothing yet that gave me a good feeling like MtG , heartstone and infinity Wars

Gerrard

Arcane
One thing I really like about the game's design is how the colors go "Diamond", "Ruby", "Sapphire", and then "Blood" and "Wild". Because apparently there are no green or purple gemstones.
Not to mention the whole "why is blood purple and not red".

J1M

Arcane
One thing I really like about the game's design is how the colors go "Diamond", "Ruby", "Sapphire", and then "Blood" and "Wild". Because apparently there are no green or purple gemstones.
Actually, I think they designed it in the other direction. "Blood magic" and "wild magic" sound cool. Then they got to the other colors and ran out of ideas.

Gerrard

Arcane
Actually, I think they designed it in the other direction. "Blood magic" and "wild magic" sound cool. Then they got to the other colors and ran out of ideas.
Wow, that's even worse.

I played the campaign for a bit and it's just full of bullshit battle conditions and enemy champion powers. You never feel like you did anything well after winning, just "Well, I sure got lucky that time", or the AI did something stupid like not block fatal damage when it can (which happened multiple times). Editing your deck is a pain in the ass thanks to the UI so doing that in order to match a specific enemy is annoying, and it's not like you actually have any good cards starting out anyway. Also you can't do that in dungeons where if you lose 3 times you have to start all over. Fun!

I think I'll reinstall the old Magic game from Microprose instead.

J1M

Arcane
Wow, that's even worse.

I played the campaign for a bit and it's just full of bullshit battle conditions and enemy champion powers. You never feel like you did anything well after winning, just "Well, I sure got lucky that time", or the AI did something stupid like not block fatal damage when it can (which happened multiple times). Editing your deck is a pain in the ass thanks to the UI so doing that in order to match a specific enemy is annoying, and it's not like you actually have any good cards starting out anyway. Also you can't do that in dungeons where if you lose 3 times you have to start all over. Fun!

If you'd like something of about similar quality with slightly different rules, give Spectromancer a try.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22500/

da_rays

Augur
Wow, that's even worse.

Aren't they the one that had that lawsuit from WoTc? Anywhooooo , just to make it clear for other peoples: Hex is pay2win, or grind to win , whatever you prefer. Pretty much all card have a value. Its more a MTGO than a heartstone or any Collectible Card Game. Hex is a Tradable Card Game , so unless you plan on doing some PvP you can pretty much do the campaign a few time to unlock a bunch of card to help with your decks , but most are ''Meh'' or PvE cards , which can only be used in the campaign or the frost arena. If you dont wanna fork some Cash , best way to ''grind your cards'' is playing the campaign - make a hero matching the deck you have get all the card you can from the campaign, steamroll with another hero , but with different class. Get all cards from the campaign , build yourself a solid Frost Arena deck, then its grinding time. Ok so what now? I need to roll in the frost arena? Yup. quickest way to get some golds . Gold can be sold to peoples for platinium ( the $$$ currency of the game ) 1 platinium is about worth 115-125golds. packs are 200 platinium each. Each cards can then be sold individually. Each arena run can give you 10-15k of golds ( all 4 tier) . But if dont plan on cashing out a bit to buy platinium , get to 500 platinium. You can then go do a evolviong sealed tournament . 2 boosters are open and you make a deck with it. 1st win is another pack. 3rd win is another pack and 5 wins is another packs. So if we just aim for 1 win ( which is pretty doable if you know the cards a bit ) you get 3 boosters for 500 plat. Sell the good cards for more plat. Wash , rinse , repeat. And its the primal dawn ( set 4 ) release so you can do the primal dawn evolving and everyone is crazy for the new cards. Price are kinda high at the moment. So selling the rare and epic you dont need can give you more plat to keep getting in the sealed evo tournament . almost an infinite loop there if youre lucky on your boosters

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom