Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Heroes of Might and Magic III HD - It's out

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/a-special-announcement

:negative:

Heroes of Might & Magic III – HD Edition will be available on 2015/01/29 on Android tablets, Ipad and PC!
As Heroes fans ourselves, we know that nothing we could have done on this title would have surpassed the original game and this never has been our intention since the beginning of this project. Our objective with HOMM3 – HD Edition is to offer a new way to experience Heroes III on iOS and Android, alone or with friends thanks to the acclaimed hotseat mode (no more boring long train journeys!). To also please our PC fans we have worked on a Steamworks version of Heroes 3 RoE! If you want to try the game after all those years, play it again in HD and benefit from Steam multiplayer features, this version is made for you!
Community team note: But why only RoE? To understand the origin of the project and its development we need to go back to 2003. At that time we asked New World Computing to retrieve their archives for all the Might & Magic titles. We found tons of documentation and data but regarding Heroes III we had nothing but the usable source code of Heroes III Restoration of Erathia.

Please take note that this article is an exception due to a special announcement and this website will continue to focus on M&M Heroes VII. For more information about Heroes III – HD edition, please visit official page on
http://bit.ly/homm3-hd and M&MFacebook/Twitter accounts.

lolololol it doesn't even feature the expansions :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

63409379ef.jpg

Rpgsaurus Rex

They're gonna strike gold with this one. Minimal investment on their part while shearing the money off all the now-casualized retrogeezers.

It's a shame M&MX didn't sell and is now stuck in a Wiz8-like limbo of almost-but-not-quite-finished games.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The only thing they had to revamp was the UI and they didn't. What's the point of playing it over the moddable GOG version?

Rpgsaurus Rex

The only thing they had to revamp was the UI and they didn't. What's the point of playing it over the moddable GOG version?

Our objective with HOMM3 – HD Edition is to offer a new way to experience Heroes III on iOS and Android, alone or with friends thanks to the acclaimed hotseat mode (no more boring long train journeys!).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
272.gif

There are a few perfect games in gaming history. Thief is one of them. Heroes 3 is another. It doesn't need an HD remake, especially since it has an HD mod. And that's all we need.

Remember when "HD" actually meant entirely remade assets? Who the fuck started this shit where HD = 16:9 aspect ratio with no other changes? Is this thanks to the consoles again?

I'm speechless.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
the art assets in the ubisoft remaster actually look really fucking good

but, no expansions = no buy

himmy

Arcane
Remember when "HD" actually meant entirely remade assets? Who the fuck started this shit where HD = 16:9 aspect ratio with no other changes? Is this thanks to the consoles again?

They are doing exactly that, though.

Which, yeah, looks pretty cool, but probably not worth the price they're gonna ask and the fact that they didn't do this for the Complete Edition is either idiocy or long-term business plan. This being Ubisoft, it's probably both.

Edit:

Community team note: But why only RoE? To understand the origin of the project and its development we need to go back to 2003. At that time we asked New World Computing to retrieve their archives for all the Might & Magic titles. We found tons of documentation and data but regarding Heroes III we had nothing but the usable source code of Heroes III Restoration of Erathia.

Well, it's even sadder than that.

Last edited:

They are doing exactly that, though.

That looks nicer. I guess it doesn't show up in Pakoito's screenshots.

Wow, here I was assuming that they were holding back DLC or something. If this updated version never ever gets the expansions then that's pretty horrible.

AMG

Arbiter
Unlike Baldur's Gate: Blurry Edition they actually put work into gfx and probably a lot of it. If I didn't think that every remake is awful by definition, I'd even say that the new assets look very good.
Still, even though it's not a complete cashgrab, there is still no reason to buy this, considering originals work without a hitch and this doesn't even feature expansions. I guess tablet gaming enthusiasts are happy.
At least this let me discover that ghost dragon actually had arms!

Martius

Liturgist
447969210.jpg

Hm... Some sites are posting this comparison but I have no idea from where it came. I thought it should be of course from Ubisoft but I cant find it on official site.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am fairly sure my homm3 was not that fucking pixelated. What the hell?

Also, there's something weird about that archdevil. And the bonerdagon for that matter.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The only worthwhile things from the expansions would be some balance improvements and obviously the maps, both of which would be pretty easy to implement in this, but of course they won't do it. I guess many people care about the additional campaigns and the Conflux, but meh.

I am fairly sure my homm3 was not that fucking pixelated. What the hell?
It's called marketing, but "hell" is a pretty good synonym, as that's where all the marketing hacks are going.

Orzie

Arbiter
I have already told this on some sites, and I'll repeat it here.

Calling this
h_1418151152_8903476_8f7ab8d43d.jpg

and this
h_1418167103_9758871_6b617915ac.jpg

and this
916ce7eeae1e.png
vizeris.jpg

and this
res.png
res2.png

and even this
ppH-pt6Qae4.jpg

"an official Heroes of Might and Magic III HD Remake" should be law penalized.

This is the first time I see a company neglecting the fans so much. This remake was anticipated, and we all couldn't sleep fine because of it, but all we've got is these soap graphics made in a big hurry and inheriting all graphic bugs of the original game. This is no more than a trash aimed to cut easy money from naive fans.

And I am 100% sure that the words about "we have only the working RoE source code" is a total bullshit. Of course if the project will be sold good enough, spontaneously we will know that Ubi finds the code for AB and SoD... and will sell them as DLCs for no more than $30.

Commercialization has killed the game development industry. I realize this more and more with the pass of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom