Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, for Star Citizen it seems to work. Not sure how he is going to pull this off (unless it is a full MMO).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: http://ultimacodex.com/2013/03/is-richard-garriotts-new-game-a-pc-title-will-it-be-revealed-at-sxsw/

It’s the calling out of Linux — playing off the Mac/PC reference — that catches my attention the most. Could that be a subtle hint concerning the game engine that the Ultimate RPG will make use of? Will the Ultimate RPG eschew the social and mobile frontier and be revealed as a decidedly “first era” game: a standalone, single-player RPG, albeit one that might support some sort of optional multiplayer component?

And furthermore, will the game be revealed at SXSW next Friday, in the special announcement Richard Garriott will be making in conjunction with a Descendants of Erdrick performance?

Meh, I have never really liked cared for Ultima games. Lord British and his world seems gay :roll:.

yeah it has a really 80s campy scifi/fantasy vibe to it, the whole john doe from our world becoming a hero in theirs trope. i'm pretty sure it comes from piers anthony or stephen donaldson, maybe tvtropes has the story

I don't believe he's ever been asked about this, but I could be wrong.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meh, I have never really liked cared for Ultima games. Lord British and his world seems gay :roll:.
i'm pretty sure it comes from piers anthony or stephen donaldson, maybe tvtropes has the story
Well, Piers Anthony has used or made fun of probably every single fantasy trope ever, so I'd say it's pretty safe to say that there's some overlap.

I have no interest in MMOs or free to play games, so this probably won't be getting anything from me, but if it ends up being something surprising -- like a successor to the actual good Ultima games -- then... nah, I probably still won't give anything with Torment going on at the same time and my funds limited.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Spoony is wrong too. As far as I know, rebooting the game in a new 3D perspective was 100% Origin's decision. EA didn't force them to do shit.

Remember, this is the same EA of the late 90s that funded System Shock 2. They were still pretty nasty, but they were capable of funding good games back then.

It was not apparently the whole of Origin's decision ; a lot of developers are putting the blame on Ed Del Castillo, who went completely nuts about GRAPHIX!1§§1§!! when someone randomly added 3DFX acceleration to the engine. Lots of developers left the ship because he made incredibly poor design decisions and treated everyone like shit. He created this horrible mess of an engine, built for topside view and tweaked it for a third person view it was never meant to be for. This broke pathfinding and generated lots of bugs. Add EA wanting the game out at all cost and they couldn't implement the originally very good main quest they wanted to have in;

It was always my impression that Garriott took the reins back at the last minute to finish the game and put it out, hence the story rewrite, and the horrible mess. But I do remember that the outrage at Ultima IX in the UDIC community started with Ed Del Castillo's bullshit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spoony is wrong too. As far as I know, rebooting the game in a new 3D perspective was 100% Origin's decision. EA didn't force them to do shit.

Remember, this is the same EA of the late 90s that funded System Shock 2. They were still pretty nasty, but they were capable of funding good games back then.

It was not apparently the whole of Origin's decision ; a lot of developers are putting the blame on Ed Del Castillo, who went completely nuts about GRAPHIX!1§§1§!! when someone randomly added 3DFX acceleration to the engine. Lots of developers left the ship because he made incredibly poor design decisions and treated everyone like shit. He created this horrible mess of an engine, built for topside view and tweaked it for a third person view it was never meant to be for. This broke pathfinding and generated lots of bugs. Add EA wanting the game out at all cost and they couldn't implement the originally very good main quest they wanted to have in;

It was always my impression that Garriott took the reins back at the last minute to finish the game and put it out, hence the story rewrite, and the horrible mess. But I do remember that the outrage at Ultima IX in the UDIC community started with Ed Del Castillo's bullshit.

The move to a third person perspective wasn't Del Castillo's decision. It wasn't one single person's decison, I think. It's something that the entire team (or at least a large part of it) went crazy about when they started experimenting with the 3D engine.

In short, graphics whores gonna graphics whore.

Data4

Arcane
See, now, if SOE had hired Garriott to help work on EQ3, which is supposed to be sandboxy, that'd be a coup. Established EQ fanbase, plus Ultima nostalgia? Hell, I'd sign up (and not just to make Metro make butthurt comments on my MMO playing, either).

As it is, this thing's going to be some tablet app that not only will fail, but should fail with all the gusto a failure can manifest.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess I'm obliged to comment since you seem obsessed with me.

Stabwound

Arcane
Why are the speculations of a rampant brown-nosing fanboy considered news?

:rpgcodex:

And fuck you to people that think the Ultima world is gay. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the shit we get these days.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Why are the speculations of a rampant brown-nosing fanboy considered news?

:rpgcodex:

And fuck you to people that think the Ultima world is gay. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the shit we get these days.

He's not speculating. Kenneth has connections.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Lord British comments: http://ultimacodex.com/2013/03/is-richard-garriotts-new-game-a-pc-title-will-it-be-revealed-at-sxsw/

Greetings Adventurers!

Fear not! Any “Ultimate RPG” I would be attempting would be first and foremost a PC game (neither console, nor social media). It would be highly story driven as my original trilogy of trilogies. I would hope to also make it such that it can be played multiplayer as well as solo and offline.

– Richard “Lord British” Garriott

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I know Garriott took a lot of Origin guys with him when he formed the US branch of NCSoft, but does he still have any them with him now?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If he brings out "Ultima VII in another world", I would be extremely interested.

Still wouldn't back because he's rich as fuck and stole one of our parisian woman.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
If he brings out "Ultima VII in another world", I would be extremely interested.

Still wouldn't back because he's rich as fuck and stole one of our parisian woman.

Wait, didn't you playtest the Ultima Forever piece of shit? And you can't pony up 20 bucks or whatever even if this game sounded good?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Wait, didn't you playtest the Ultima Forever piece of shit? And you can't pony up 20 bucks or whatever even if this game sounded good?

ABHAHAHahahaHAHAhAHAha

It might be great, or shitty. Just donate. It's free! And it even sounded good!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom