Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

V_K

Arcane
So is the FRUA version the only complete version of the campaign? It seems like there are only demos of the other two on the net.

Dorateen

Arcane
So is the FRUA version the only complete version of the campaign? It seems like there are only demos of the other two on the net.

This FRUA version matches the most recent IceBlink version, with a few additions or modifications to conform to the Gold Box engine. As far as the story itself, Hearkenwold would represent the first episode of a larger campaign. There is a lot of content to explore, but there are also adventure hooks and quest lines introduced that will not be resolved until the next chapter.

Dorateen

Arcane
The latest IceBlink version is this one:

http://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/hearkenwold-demo-v-101

I call it a demo, because with the IB engine I can keep adding new content and have the adventure grow. So it is not in a finished state, but will continue to expand. In contrast, the FRUA design will be self contained in the sense that when I do work on the next part, it will be a second stand alone module. On a side note, we are in beta testing with IceBlink 2 that introduces more features, and I will be bringing the campaign over to start working from there. I've got the next phase of the story sketched out.

DungeonCraft has a lot of features I liked that made building easier than in FRUA. But systems wise, there are still issues in the engine to be fixed. I kind of stalled in doing the conversion because of that. With FRUA, at least the AD&D system is complete and works as well as a Gold Box game.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm back to working in IceBlink for the continuation of the unfolding chapters of Hearkenwold. While I was busy doing conversions of the campaign in other engines, IceBlink has gotten a bit of an overhaul. We are right now in the middle of beta testing the IceBlink 2 engine and toolset, which introduces new features and interface. One of the goals was to merge the functionality of the Android port with the PC version. There are lots of little details, but an example that I had been looking forward to is the requirement of ammunition for ranged weapons.

Heark2IB2.jpg

Another cosmetic change is that the party can now be represented on the map as a cluster of icons. The party leader is imposed larger than the group, and can be swapped out at any time. This screenshot is from a new area, a map just south of the gates of Khyn, ready to continue the adventure.

Heark3IB2.jpg

And here's a friendly looking fellow the characters might run into. Back to using the Party Chat system, notice it is the intelligent mage who when selected makes the comment about the value of gathering information.

Heark4IB2.jpg

Finally, this is the image that I wanted to use on the first step of narration in the Unlimited Adventures Hearkenwold. The default art in FRUA shows the wall, but never animated the exploding fireball. Interestingly, the inclusion of this introductory prompt was one of the things I added to FRUA, and now will appear in the IceBlink version.

Heark1IB2.jpg

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Finally, this is the image that I wanted to use on the first step of narration in the Unlimited Adventures Hearkenwold. The default art in FRUA shows the wall, but never animated the exploding fireball. Interestingly, the inclusion of this introductory prompt was one of the things I added to FRUA, and now will appear in the IceBlink version.

There are ways to make the animation work in FRUA, including using the unofficial 1.3 patch in your game. Feel free to write me over on those forums and I can help you fix this issue.

Dorateen

Arcane
Yes, thanks, ProphetSword

I had a feeling the animation not firing was a known issue. I guess that's one of the things the 1.3 patch fixes. I am planning to set up the UA Shell in the near future so I can start playing (and theoretically building) hacked modules. I'll post over at the DC FRUA forums when I give it a go.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Just so you know, you can do it without hacks. There are workarounds. After all these years, we know all the tricks, so don't hesitate to ask us.

Dorateen

Arcane
Work on Hearkenwold continues, as does the development of IceBlink 2. The engine and toolset is up to version 12 of the beta. Recently, slowdive included the option for custom (or default) frames around the UI elements on the screen. Here's a couple of screenshots from some of the content I've added to the adventure. The second is a sneak peek of a new area, which is meant to be unsettling for the party.

HearkIB22.jpg

HearkIB21.jpg

Also, I thought I would share at this time an image that is the representation of the "World Map" for the current playable builds of Hearkenwold. These are just the outdoor areas from IceBlink stitched together. Because exploration in the Unlimited Adventures game is done in 3D view, it could have been difficult to picture how the wilderness all fits together. The map dimensions between the two versions were replicated faithfully, so this gives an overhead visualization of how the surrounding areas are connected.

The idea is that all the white space will be eventually filled with maps. This is going to be an expansive campaign one day.

WorldMap.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
The next chapter of Hearkenwold will include two branches of adventure for the player to follow. One is a continuation of the main castle quest line. The other, however, will take the party to a new location. A foreign land, it is a harsh desert realm. For this area, I have drawn some influence from Dark Sun, introducing a sense of survival and the characters fighting their way out. I had started on this content over the summer using the previous IceBlink engine. Now I am in the process of converting it to IceBlink 2. Here are some screenshots:

hearkib24.jpg

hearkib23_1.jpg

hearkib25.jpg

These critters are tougher down here in Asherim. Our 1st level characters will not win this encounter.

hearkib26.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been doing more work in the desert canyon, which is a two map affair including several sub-maps. The people of Hearkenwold have been brought into captivity here, including the party. However, not all slaves want to be rescued.

hearkib28.jpg

This encounter below requires some tweaking in the toolset. The 1st level characters won, but only because the little warlocks rushed into melee combat. At the end, one remaining bastard finally unleashed its spell that took out the cleric. This should be a much tougher battle.

HearkIB27.jpg

Every desert must have its oasis.

hearkib29.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
Thanks! There are still graphical issues and ongoing design changes in the engine. But I post these periodic screenshots to share the progress that is being made.

Mustawd

HearkIB27.jpg

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Fuck any of the kickstarter shit. I'll just play these modules till the cows come home!

Deleted Member 16721

Hey guys! Iceblink Engine fan here. I tried The Raventhal and thought it was great, and I look forward to giving Hearkenworld a spin next. I will likely make some YouTube videos for it, too, if that's cool with you.

I really appreciate you all putting the work into creating modules and fine tuning the engine itself. This engine has a lot of potential that I hope future module creators will tap into. I feel you are doing some very good work here and will continue to recommend your guys' work going forward.

Keep up the great work, chaps! :salute:

Dorateen

Arcane
A short update as I am getting back into the groove of building. I have recently been working on two encounters and a couple of more conversations. Specific to combat, I also was spending time thinking about encounter design. One of the things I like about IceBlink is that the battle map can be hand crafted, including placement of PCs and enemies. (Contrast this with FRUA where the designer has the option to set the foe right in front, near or far away from the party, and what direction they are approached from.) In the IceBlink engine there is a greater degree of customization.

As an example in the screen below, I have intentionally split the six members of the party by a rock formation to start the battle. Making things more problematic, a Slave Rogue has won initiative and snuck up to hit the party's magic-user from behind. Bastard.

HearkIB210.jpg

I am working in the toolset regularly now, resuming the plan to release a playable build with new content by the end of the Spring. This will be the first version of Hearkenwold available to download for the PC using the updated IceBlink 2 engine. Unless players emulated the Andriod port. Even then, the current form of the campaign is undergoing changes.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thank you! The topic of encounter design and how the two engines handle it, is always a worthy discussion.

Speaking of FRUA, the plan I have right now is to finish up this arc of the campaign in IceBlink 2, and then recreate the new content in Unlimited Adventures as effectively a "Hearkenwold Part II".

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been working on a new map location. Here the party will run across some new monsters, sentient construct-like beings. This involved setting up the creature blueprints in the toolset and designing multiple combat encounters. The area also feature NPCs, and I am presently going through one of the conversations.

hearkib211.jpg

hearkib212.jpg

Some interesting comments in the FRUA Abondonware thread about graphic assets. Of course, I aim to rip as much GoldBox style art from the Archive site as needed. But I've always stressed that this is a hobby project with no commercial aspirations. Other IceBlink authors have made custom art, background and detailed effects, which are very good. Each module has its own distinct look. As for me, I enjoy building with those familiar tiles and icons.

hearkib213.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
I have upgraded to version 20 of the IceBlink 2 beta. We are in the process of discussing a formal release date. I'd like to have a good deal of Hearkenwold content available for that launch. In future updates, I'll show off some of the more recent features introduced, such as spell effects.

In the meantime, I wanted to talk a little about character generation after reading this interesting discussion about Rolling vs. Point Buy for stats. The first iteration of IceBlink used a point distribution system. But with the new engine being developed, this changed to rolling for attributes at character creation. A d12 is used, plus 6, which gives a range of 7 to 18 for each ability score. The numbers are not able to be moved around or manipulated, although racial bonuses are applied. The player is not locked into pre-selections, so after rolling a dwarf fighter, if a set of stats looks better for an elf wizard, those fields can be changed and the character sheet will be updated accordingly. In addition, players are allowed to reroll.

Hearkenwold is a party-based campaign, so the player is expected to create multiple characters. In fact. IceBlink allows the creation of a roster of characters, that can then be picked to fill out the party. The standard races available include dwarf, elf, human, gnome and halfling. With demihumans providing modifiers to the rolled stats, both positive and negative. The classes for this adventure are cleric, fighter, paladin, ranger, thief, and wizard. Not all races can be all classes.

When choosing to create a character, the player can select race, gender and class up front, and browse a selection of portraits and combat icons.

On the topic of rolling, I decided to experiment with a freshly made Dorateen, to see how the numbers would fall. Here is the first roll. A dwarf gets +2 for strength, which makes that natural roll of a 16 into 18. But I also get a -2 for dexterity, bringing an already mediocre 10 down to 8, and incurring an AC penalty. Dwarves get a constitution bonus, increasing the 13 to 15, and the obligatory -2 charisma hit. Overall, the natural rolls might not be bad for a human cleric with the 16 that came up for Wisdom. (And I could make that change to race and class if I wished to keep these numbers.)

chargen1.jpg

However I'm not happy with it, so I select Roll Stats. This time, I get a 16 in strength again, but dexterity is only 7. Even lower when you subtract 2. Ugh. Not to mention the constitution is too low, while charisma is far too high. Terrible rolls, forget it.

chargen2.jpg

So here is the third set of stats I came up with. This time, I roll a natural 17 for strength, and a 15 for constitution. The charisma score is still higher than I want. And if I was sitting down to actually play the game, I'd probably roll again. But I could live with this.

chargen3.jpg

Now of course what I'm demonstrating is that I was rolling for a particular character concept in mind, not that I'm trying to get the highest stats. Re-rolling in IceBlink is simple and fast so it would not be very time consuming to eventually hit something closer to an old pen-and-paper character sheet. This is the reason why early D&D-like computer role playing games allowed the player to simply adjust the numbers even after rolling. The designers recognized there would be players coming into the hobby from a tabletop experience and looking to recreate their favorite characters.

I would also underscore that all these elements of character generation are fully customizable in IceBlink. A module builder can make any race or allow only humans, can think up new classes and develop their own skills, traits, spells, etc. While Hearkenwold represents traditional fantasy, it is certainly feasible to make a sci-fi adventures, and other authors have done so.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Also, builders can choose between using 2d6+6 or 3d6 for rolls in their module for character creation (boolean in module properties). At this point, if players want to re-create a specific character, they can always modify the character file which is just a text file (.json) (not sure if we should implement a goldbox style, modify attributes after initial creation type thing?).

Couple of screenies showing how builders can customize the UI layout and look (hit "x" to hide the UI, can also show/hide the touch movement buttons for none touch devices):
untitled38.png

untitled29.png

file.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom