Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Crispy™ Have some dignity

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by lukaszek, Feb 7, 2018.

1. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Thread which is expanding my eye opening insight into dark souls:

Decided to expand on it a bit after looking at codex history of prizing 'rough diamonds'.

Let me start with real life analogy, that got nothing to do with the topic, for those trolls in here who actually dont play games:
    Would you:
    - buy a book
    - get home to realize that pages are randomly permuted
    - spend 2h rebinding the pages and sorting them in order
    - read all of it
    - assuming that you have enjoyed it and every book is sold this way: say its your 10/10 read in past 10 years?

Now to point few more rpg examples besides already mentioned souls:
    - ELEX: terrible combat controls in action game released last year which apparently is fine... since game is amazing and people who voted goty are faggots
    - "Mods will fix it": badly balanced/paced, boring, dumped down game that is supposed to be good after 10h of modding and praying that your machine wont burst to flames. Yes Im thinking in here mainly about Oblivion and Skyrim. I do acknowledge how guilty I am as I do enjoy slapping mods on top of requiem from time to time - i do play it as survival though, hardly rpg.
    - Low energy console UI port: Dragon Dogma. I'm not even talking about in game UI. Game start/loding/settings screens can give you cancer. Imagine if consoles never existed. You would look at that and wonder about developer sanity
    - Game really opens once you get to city x: you launch witcher1 and suffer mouse clicking to the rhythm of music. Once you get to city x you discover that you are still supposed to click... in... rhythm... to solve every problem. You are witcher after all, killing monsters is what you do
    Show Spoiler
    besides collecting cards

- You buy game on steam that is supposed to work on windows. Then you proceed to spend 2h to make it run on your rig. When you evaluate game pricing do add how much you value your free/paid time

Now let me be clear: Im not talking about getting questionable product, limiting your exposure to specific content(which special case might be larping) and getting amount of fun worth your $ spent. Im fine with it. Magic sucks but playing a rogue is cool? Go for it.
    I'm talking about cost cutting/laziness of developer and your suffering through that to find something enjoyable.
    Or because of someone on codex told you something.

Have some dignity

• Participation Award x 12
    • retadred x 6
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. EveryoneIsAWeebButMe Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

EveryoneIsAWeebButMe
    Parrots:
    More than you, apparently.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Jokzore Savant

Jokzore
    Parrots:
    DS1 gets a free pass because FromSoft didn't even want to port the damn thing to PC. They only did it after the PC crowd whined. We made endless petitions and videos telling FROM how much we want a Souls game on windows (and made it clear theres money to be made ofc).

Also, installing DSfix is not a 2h task.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I hate shoddy PC ports as much as the next masterrace elitist. However, after literally begging From to do something they had no plans of doing and then complaining about it just seems horribly entitled.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fork Savant

fork
    Parrots:
    wat

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    so you are saying its fine to do half-assed job to get more money as they were... not into it?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. mustawd. Self-Ejected

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    Prove it.

• retadred x 8
    • Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jokzore Savant

Jokzore
    Parrots:
    I'm saying its terribly entitled to demand something that was never meant to be, and then when you finally get it whine how its not up to your standards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Lahey Magister Patron

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I read the first part, but the poor formatting turned me off. OP seems to have a good point buried in there so maybe mods can fix it to be more legible.

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    Looking at price history it appears to be released at steam and slapped price tag... 30$.
    For game not working correctly on advertised platform.
    With k&m support which was not much playable.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Sure, why not

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    this isn't really that much different from gaemz 20 years ago that needed half an hour of fiddling with soundcard options to run

• Agree x 8
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Nor any game for that matter, even console ones.
    It's part of the fun. It's the new #Insert Disk 17 to continue installing then edit your config.sys kind of excitement. It makes you deserve your play. It's great.

If broken games that you are supposed to fix aren't awesome, why the success of Lego?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Urthor Learned Patron

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nobody ever sold you on DS1 being a good port and if you somehow believed DS1 was a good port you missed the boat. That's why I've only ever played 2 and 3.

^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Learned

rusty_shackleford
    Parrots:
    I've spent weeks trying to get games to work in wine on Linux incl. submitting patches. It's half the fun for me.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Have some dignity, play Severance instead.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    One thing is having a game that ran smoothly at some point in time and all you need is some work to... undo 20 years of progress.

Another story are titles that were glitching on day1.

When you buy 20y car you expect some repairs. When you buy new one and something is glitching you are not supposed to fix it yourself.

EDIT: when it comes to software user base varies a lot. I mean in here behavior when encountering bugs.
    Some would quit when their flow is stopped. If thats the case for given app then its critical to fix it asap.
    Some would be seeking ways to unblock themselves. For example add to cart doesnt work but 'buy now' is fine. Or codex multi quoting.
    Then there will be apps without telemetry so owners have no idea.
    Gamers tend to be more technical savy and usually seek ways to unblock themselves. As result devs are more and more exploiting this.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    ^ Top  
  17. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Parrots:
    Back in my days, we had no console ports. You wanted to play a console game, you had to buy a console. Mayyybe emulate a console for some titles... 3, best case 2 generations back. And that situation lasted for like 20 years.
    I was very happy about the PC release of Dark Souls. As I never lowered my standards enough to buy a console, I couldn't experience this great game otherwise. Taking 3 minutes to install DSFix is a small price to pay for that IMO.
    Nowadays we get most of the best console stuff on PC - running faster, smoother, with sharper graphics, sometimes even better textures. A bit later, sure, but who cares. I'm not in a race. At least they iron some of the worst bugs by then. Maybe even include console DLCs in the base game.

Eh, entitled kids these days...

^ Top  
  18. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Installing a game in dos times was akin to installing 5-10 mods today, you would need like 5 mins to install it and set everything in the options....... and then the game was not guaranteed to run and there was no internet so those 5 min could expand into days and weeks before you figured it out or contacted someone or read about it somewhere that knew wtf is going on.

Patches? Never heard about them in the 90's, every game was complete, and usualy the bugs were so insignificant that the normal user never seen them.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Parrots:
    Dark Souls looks way better on PC than on console. You can set the resolution higher and you can remove some of the shitty post processing effects that plagued the console version. I don't care how shoddy the port was, i'm glad it was made since i'd never be able to go back to the console version after trying it on superior master race hardware.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Parrots:
    Played Dark Souls before there was a DSfix. Everything was fine except for a few fpsdrops (which also existed on consoles). Its a lazy port but as already mentioned they were begged into it and it was fine.

Of course DSfix was a gamechanger with 60 fps mode, but i can see why they implemented the fpslock as 60 fps mode still has some bugs tied to it that are not so easily fixed.

Also Elex combat isnt terrible you fucking scrub.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    The transition from DOS to Windows was really rough, too. When my family got new hardware, suddenly all these games that were only a few years old needed tons of tweaking to run. I must have spent ages trying to emulate extended and expanded memory just for that damn LoTR RPG
    from Interplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Piotrovitz Educated

Piotrovitz
    Parrots:
    I can't recall this being that painful. When win 95 was released, you just ran older games straight from DOS and there weren't any problems.

The issue was with 98 or XP, when dos games started to run on ultra fast speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. mustawd. Self-Ejected

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    Same. I remember running LOTR shareware version with no issues.

^ Top  
  24. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Parrots:
    Running some games, like Master of Magic, was a bit of a pain even in DOS.

^ Top  
  25. Werdna's Revenge Savant

Werdna's Revenge
    Parrots:
    While you're right about installing, it's fakenews on the bugs front. Yeah there were fewer bugs I'd say, but when you hit a catastrophic bug you were well and truly fucked. As much as I hate day 1 patches and skimping on QA these days, at least patches (community and official) are so much easier to get. Sure beats the days of hitting a memory corruption bug in Darklands that makes it literally unwinnable.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)