Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Has anybody ever tried Melirinda's Icewind Dale II mod?

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
Azarkon said:
Well, this thread has certainly derailed.

Pity, I kind of wanted to see a LP of Melirinda's IWD 2 mod.

Me too, but Codex always manages to blow all threads into grand off-topic fest.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, have you tried Merlinda's mod? If you have, tell us about it. If you haven't, share your expertise in comic books. If you don't have any expertise, fuck off. Simple, really.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to find Moore's Miracleman and it seems it's out of print, it's fucking sad. Is it because of legal disputes between Moore and the publishing company? Oh well, scanlations are never out of print.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ghostdog said:
I'm trying to find Moore's Miracleman and it seems it's out of print, it's fucking sad. Is it because of legal disputes between Moore and the publishing company? Oh well, scanlations are never out of print.
It is out of print. And has been for eighteen years. The price for issue #15 alone starts at approximately 75 pounds at auctions. The full series net auctions start at 500 dollars.

But it's actually not Moore and publisher who are in legal disputes. Eclipse never owned any rights (and has been bankcrupt for over a decade ago) and Moore gave his share of the rights to Gaiman. However, McFarlane bought Eclipse's IPs when Eclipse folded. This marks the beginning of the gigantic legal clusterfuck surrounding Miracleman. Originally Todd pissed off Gaiman by refusing him the credit for Medieval Spawn, Cogliostro and Angela. This ended with the agreement of Todd to give all his alleged Miracleman rights to Gaiman. Years later, McFarlane TRIED TO MAKE MIRACLEMAN A SPAWN CHARACTER AND SELL THE MOVIE RIGHTS, which royally pissed Gaiman off. Gaiman won the lawsuit utterly. Gaiman also formed Marvels and Miracles LLC to represent the interests of Miracleman with the money he made with Marvel 1602 (all profits were directed to this).

Then, the original creator of Miracleman, the founder of Warrior magazine and a bunch of dudes with the assets of the old publishing house that made Miracleman in the 50's and 60's stepped into the ring as well. And Todd deliberately tries to piss Gaiman off again by AGAIN trying to make Miracleman a Spawn character (as Man of Miracles, designed to replace Cogliostro).

But the dark cloud has a silver lining. Gaiman has progressively pwned everyone of the greedy bastards in court, and said earlier this year that once it's all finally through, he and the artist will reprint the old books and finish their run (one and a half big albums) to end the story started in the early 80's by Alan Moore.

EDIT: And I will personally write mr. Gaiman a letter and offer myself as his personal sex slave the day I get my own copy of Miracleman.

EDIT2: Oh, and the newest issue of Final Crisis is setting it up for being one of the best comics ever.

FC5p24.jpg

FC5p25.jpg

FC5p26.jpg

And...

FC5p30.jpg

FC5p31.jpg

FC5p32-33.jpg

FC5p34.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Naked Ninja > Can't talk for others but personally it isn't the fact that Melirinda creates stuff that bothers me, it's the fact that she is very arrogant about her work while all I've seen of her is simply bad. I do not have a special respect for people who create stuff, whatever the quality, but I have no disdain for them either. Creating is very easy if you give yourself time for it but creating something good requires a lot more effort and time and should be praised accordingly.

Naked Ninja said:
Simple economics, really. Rare things are more valuable. Whiners are a dime a dozen, hell, a dime a thousand, people who actually work to create something, not so.

Yet there are many people who create in different domains and are simply mediocre. Being valuable simply by virtue of being rare does not say anything at all about the intrinsinc quality.

Naked Ninja said:
Her work may be cheap garbage but I respect the author who writes and finishes the cheesy bodice ripper romance trash a hundred times more than the snobbish literature student who is perpetually halfway through writing their "great novel".

The point is that Melirinda is snobbish and stolid. I, and probably other people, wouldn't have such a negative opinion of her if she was more self-conscious about her work; instead she has delusions of grandeur and spits her feminist venom.

Naked Ninja said:
And she may be a militant feminist, but then again, I'm not forced to experience avatars with my gender running around in steel thongs in 50% of the games I want to play, I think that would drive me to extremism too.

There is no excuse for being an extremist, it's a choice one decides to make. Other girls, even in this hive of scum and villainy that is the Codex, seem to have a more mature approach to that kind of issues.

Besides, from what I gathered, her problem lies mostly in the fact games, especially some RPG's like Planescape: Torment or The Witcher, forced her to play as a male with no possibility to be a female, and in The Witcher she had a lot of bad things to say about the way women were represented.

In the case of NWN2 OC she felt that she should have been able to romance Bishop instead of Casavir, I'll recall that males were stuck with the equally bland Elanee. She decided to answer mediocrity with more mediocrity by cutting Bishop's balls and making him a romance character.

Vaarna_Aarne

You should also remember that she has some absurd hatred for PS:T. Because she couldn't play as a Mary Sue and romance a Gary Sue male NPC.

She also has an equally absurd loathing for Deionarra and her dialogue.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Vaarna_Aarne said:
She also has an equally absurd loathing for Deionarra and her dialogue.

Is that so ? Then she deserves all the bile you guys are spilling on her.

Balance is preserved. I can happily return to death's halls, someone's waiting for me.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
Hmmm, got bored reading this after page one but I have to say, about Merlinda, I agree with the Rambling Sage. I respect people who create far more than those who whine, even if the creator creates something I dislike.

Simple economics, really. Rare things are more valuable. Whiners are a dime a dozen, hell, a dime a thousand, people who actually work to create something, not so.

Her work may be cheap garbage but I respect the author who writes and finishes the cheesy bodice ripper romance trash a hundred times more than the snobbish literature student who is perpetually halfway through writing their "great novel".

I'm of the opinion that it is better to produce nothing than to churn out nothing but shit. Come on, which would you rather smell, empty air or a pile of steaming turd? I'd understand respecting an author who has published something that is good, but why do people who litter bookshelves with maggot-ridden feces deserve respect exactly?

Moreover, she isn't rare. She is no more rare than fourteen-year-old teenagers writing stories featuring their Mary Sues or Gary Stus defeating great ancient evil while wielding impossibly large swords and spending the rest of their time angsting about their tragic pasts. You want NWN modders? Those are a dime a dozen. Most of them produce better things than Bishop Romance Mod, and before you cite the fact that the Bishop mod is popular, I'll remind you that "Sex and the Single Adventuress" has a place in the NWVault hall of fame in both its NWN1 incarnation and the NWN2 remake.

And she may be a militant feminist, but then again, I'm not forced to experience avatars with my gender running around in steel thongs in 50% of the games I want to play, I think that would drive me to extremism too.

I say this in the most good-natured way possible: fuck off, you're trying too hard to come off as a sensitive liberal-minded male. She's not a feminist--she is a moron. Real feminists would find her embarrassing. Many female gamers find her embarrassing. Saying that she is a representative of feminism in any form whatsoever is rather like saying Volourn represents the Codex.

There are problems with gender as portrayed in video games, that's obvious, but there are ways to express your dissatisfaction with this status quo that goes beyond "FORCING ME TO PLAY A MALE IS A SPIT IN FEMALE GAMERS' FACE." And that's part of my problem with her: she acts as if she somehow speaks for an entire demographic, when in fact a good portion of that demographic thinks she is fucking dumb.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Now, here's a dillemma. Which of these cornier?

"My love! You have come to me/I shall for you in death's halls, my love!"

OR

"Don't worry, we have more on our side than one sword. We have reason, goodness, and the insatiable desire to live freely!"

Chris "Sicillian" Avellone vs. Dominique "Melirinda" Sotto

ULTIMATE BATTLE

Imbecile

Arbiter
Worm King said:
"insatiable desire to live freely!" doesn't make any sense.

If I hadn't know otherwise I would have assumed that the second example was being teh humourous. Kinda like the adam West batman

Robin: "Boy! That was our closest call ever! I have to admit that I was pretty scared!"
Batman: "I wasn't scared in the least."
Robin: "Not at all?"
Batman: "Haven't you noticed how we always escape the vicious ensnarements of our enemies?"
Robin: "Yeah, because we're smarter than they are!"
Batman: "I like to think it's because our hearts are pure."

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:

I learned from years of writing that the quality of any phrase depends of its context; it can be great in one context and awful in another.

Disconnected

Scholar
Worm King said:
Sure it does, it's just a clumsy sentence. Like the "You have come to me" shit.

The "I shall for you [...]" syntax error is worse though.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Disconnected said:
Worm King said:
Sure it does, it's just a clumsy sentence. Like the "You have come to me" shit.

The "I shall for you [...]" syntax error is worse though.

No, that's the poster's typo. In the game, it's "I shall wait for you in death's halls, my love."

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does Codex have a page limit?

I would try and find out myself, but modern RPGs have made me stupid.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Annie Carlson said:
Good responses, Annie likey.

ALSO even though it has circa 1930s political incorrectness in it, I grew up with the Tintin graphic novels and they are fucking BOSS. They've also been translated into just about every language imaginable so that's a plus.

ALSO fuck me for not mentioning Jeff Smith's Bone, goddamn my human brain. It's very, VERY good. Try to get the single graphic novel editions and NOT the giant collected one for the SOLE REASON that while the big one is in color and that's cool and all, but Smith's work with black and white is nothing short of astounding.

Many times, yes!The Tintin stuff was my bread and butter as a kid. And while I've still not read the middle portion of Bone (I spent several years in a very small town that had never heard of of comic-shops) the beginning portions are fantastic and the end is quite good.

Actually, I've been meaning to pick up the big omnibus version (which is available in the original black & white) so I can finish it off. Maybe after Christmas.

Vaarna_Aarne

I love the part in the first album with Haddock where the beduins shoot his bottle. REVENGE! REVENGE! REVENGE!

Cogar

Novice
Vaarna_Aarne said:
....She also has an equally absurd loathing for Deionarra and her dialogue.
So what did Melirinda say was wrong with her dialogue? I rather liked it.

Wyrmlord said:

"My love! You have come to me/I shall wait for you in death's halls, my love!"

OR

"Don't worry, we have more on our side than one sword. We have reason, goodness, and the insatiable desire to live freely!"

ULTIMATE BATTLE
Out of context, neither seems that great. Still, in context Deionarra's dialogue seemed fine so they both may be OK.

Actually, to anyone here who has ever had a significant relationship, for some reason the corny lines actually work if you are sincere (not if they are recited as a "con"). The point is that for a lot of people they do represent real dialogue. After all, in RL most of us do not speak with the verbal power of someone reading a script they have practiced, which writers argued over for months previously.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Wyrmlord said:

"My love! You have come to me/I shall for you in death's halls, my love!"

OR

ULTIMATE BATTLE
Not really. Melrinda is way too tl;dr for my tastes.

scient

Augur
And yep, I re-wrote Morte's lines. Morte was hitting on the Namless Lady along with the zombies and her replies were different as well. It was funny, while male version of Morte was just 'ewww, why can't I kill it?' for me.

Grace was to become a burned incubus ('casue I swaped the avatars with him, so he was the happy owner of the TNO's hot looks) which with the minor tweaks to his lines worked just great, and was prefectly interesting, and Annah had a lesbian crash on the Nameless Lady, for anyone willing to interpret her lines that way.

wat?

source.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom