Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTA craving.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
gta-vice-city-stories-liberty-city-stories.jpg

You might have to use an emulator if you don't have an old console lying around.

Keep in mind these games are getting more dated every year, so quickly give them a go before they become unplayable.

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-14_22-40-41.jpeg
    upload_2014-7-14_22-40-41.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 141

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

SoupNazi

Keep in mind these games are getting more dated every year, so quickly give them a go before they become unplayable.

:shunthenonbeliever:
Bit rot, dude. Haven't you heard?

Simple aesthetics really.

Rockstar sacrificed visuals for size, and while it didn't matter when the game came out, it's really starting to show after recently playing GTA 5.

maxresdefault.jpg

wpid-gta-vice-city-stories-cheats-psp-flying-cars-i15.jpg
ure a fucking retard and the graphics of ur face are outdated

baturinsky

Arcane
I like all of GTA3 family, though in different ways. Replayed all several times.
GTA1/2 - could not get used to painfully small FOV.
GTA4 - meh. Meh everything.
SR2-4 all worth playing at least once. Did not play SR1. SR4 is superhero sim way more than vehicle sim.
Watch Dogs - meh plot, clunky controls, but a lot of original mechanics.
Sleeping Dogs - a bit smallish, but lovingly recreated Hong Kong. Mostly usual GTA fare, but with beat-em-up elements. Liked the plot a lot.
Just Cause 2 - playing now. World is huge indeed, but something is missing. Maybe it will play better when I'll get used to controls.
Total Overdose - really liked it, played it three times. Mostly it's open city combo-making firefight. Like Bulletstorm, but without the crazy guns (and glove and boots). Cool Mexican B-movean style.
Far Cry 3 - played it one and a half time. Mostly good sandbox. Plot is meh. Only sympathetic character is appearing very late in the game and killed shortly after.
Bully - worth playing once. I got bored after about 2/3 and finished it way later. GTA mix with Scool Daze. I was not very good with classes - Crafts are designed for gamepad controls, make-words-from letters are not easy for non-native speakers and I don't know where the hell that states of USA are.
GUN - PS3-less man's Red Dead Redemption. Pretty cool plot. And everything else. But small.

And of cause, if you just want an open world, thare are Assassin Creeds. All the same, but with different scenery. One with Rome is the coolest. Mix of medieval and classic architecture is breathtaking.

garfield666

Novice
The Saboteur is very good and the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Plus, you fight nazis and the only better thing to shoot at in games are nazi zombies;)

Regarding old GTA's getting too old, there is some truth in it. i bought the whole collection on steam and fired up vice city which is my fav GTA and SA for the first time in like 5 years and to be honest both looked like ugly shit (i consider both GTA1 and 2 better looking games). still very playable though.

i second red dead redemption and sleeping dogs, fantastic games. saints row and just cause 2 also tons of fun.

Vice City and San Andreas still look fine to me, apply 16x AF with bunch of AA from card panel and ready to go. I wasn't able to play VC due to its problems Win7 when I tried replaying couple months ago, however, fixes didn't help. It's GTA3 that's truly dated as fuck, and I don't really mean visuals, it's just horribly clunky. But I never was a big fan of it anyway, I started loving series with Vice City.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Vice City and San Andreas still look fine to me, apply 16x AF with bunch of AA from card panel and ready to go. I wasn't able to play VC due to its problems Win7 when I tried replaying couple months ago, however, fixes didn't help. It's GTA3 that's truly dated as fuck, and I don't really mean visuals, it's just horribly clunky. But I never was a big fan of it anyway, I started loving series with Vice City.

Yeah, GTA:SA looks pretty good with the graphics ramped up. Nothing like the PS2 images above.
The thing is, no game actually ever had much "replay" value to me, not as much as GTASA does. Truly, no game ever had that "I'll fire it up for some 20 minutes just to drive around a bit and blow some shit up" effect on me as much as SA had. It could be that I've grown really attached to the franchise and especially to the SA settings.

I still fire up GTA:SA and rampage through town without hitting the first mission/going to Grove Street. You can buy houses, do the vehicle missions, and quite a bit without ever "starting" the game. Also, you can get an NRG-500 which spawns in SF and jump the river safely. Explore the rest of the map (with 4 stars). Highly entertaining.

Unfortunately, I played so much GTA:SA that GTA:IV and other games driving controls feel awkward by comparison. Kinda ruined the genre.

I like GTA IV driving controls best of all games of this type. Although I still wouldn't have spent so much time in it if not for multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom