Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
It has that massive drool worthy talent tree and yet even after 20+ hours every 'battle' was still won by pressing 2 buttons over and over. I say battle, but what I really mean is mindless wave of trash after mindless wave of trash and then vacuuming up all the loot like a barely awake retard.
I have most fun planning characters in aRPGs and then seeing them through, and once I do I stop playing them because gameplay itself is very mindless as you say.
On the other hand when I come tired from work I only got enough brain power left to play a mindless aRPG. Better than playing mindless FPS or MOBAs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It has that massive drool worthy talent tree and yet even after 20+ hours every 'battle' was still won by pressing 2 buttons over and over. I say battle, but what I really mean is mindless wave of trash after mindless wave of trash and then vacuuming up all the loot like a barely awake retard.
I have most fun planning characters in aRPGs and then seeing them through, and once I do I stop playing them because gameplay itself is very mindless as you say.
On the other hand when I come tired from work I only got enough brain power left to play a mindless aRPG. Better than playing mindless FPS or MOBAs.
Yeah I like simple stuff when I'm tired too. But still, I wish they did more with it.

Ent

Savant
I tried making a gunner character using amarasta's blade burst as the LMB attack - its really neat but the cooldown on the skill feels so awful I would love for that thing to get the savage strike treatment.

deama

Prophet
It's too bad they never experimented with the skills more. Maybe like a skill that transforms you into some sort of soul reaver rip off and instead use your aether as health (hp is set to 1), but gain 2x the aether and maybe some movement speed buff, or a movement based ability like you turn etherial and are pushed forward like 5 meters (through units too).

Even the skills that sounded kinda cool like that laser beam was kinda crap (it would only target 1 target, no splash damage, and wouldn't go through them either, it felt like I was firing lots of small fireballs).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

What game if this sort doesn't boil down to that? For all the loot and build masterbation, it boils down to a few whacks from beginning to end. Still can be enjoyable if in the mood.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

What game if this sort doesn't boil down to that? For all the loot and build masterbation, it boils down to a few whacks from beginning to end. Still can be enjoyable if in the mood.
It could be enjoyable if the actual whacking of things was fun. But it never is. I keep waiting for a diablo clone to actually have decent combat, but apparently the gaming public have zero standards so it will probably never happen. Why would devs try when they don't have to?! <-- The reason most modern games are shit.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
New Grim Misadventures out with a peek to new armor in the expansion. Meh, would be nice to get something substantial about the expansion.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47531

Grim Misadventure #104: Commonly Armored
Welcome back to Grim Misadventures. Work on patch v1.0.0.7 and Grim Dawn’s expansion is moving along every day and the time has come to give you another peek under the hood at what’s coming up in the future!

ARPGs thrive on the loot hunt. With over 700 unique items, 55 item sets and over 100 Monster Infrequents, Grim Dawn is certainly not lacking in loot; and the expansion aims to be no exception. Bountiful loot (and dangers) awaits you in the next chapter of Grim Dawn’s story of survival and struggle against the conquerors of Cairn. And at the core of the loot hunt are the common items, which in turn form the base of the Magic and Rare (and the coveted double Rare) items in the game.

Hot off the assembly line, today we have the first of two common armor tiers that will drop in Grim Dawn’s expansion.

attachment.php

Common armor is an important first step as it provides us with a baseline to create other items around. From here will come the hundreds of new unique items and monster infrequents, all to deck out your existing characters (or perhaps some new class combinations…) in style.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 11/07/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Ivan

Arcane
think im too old for ARPGs now (25). it's the same shit over n over again. that being said, I have sunk like 100+hours into GD. I appreciated the build variety compared to the casual Torchlight 2.

duanth123

Arcane
but apparently the gaming public have zero standards so it will probably never happen.

anvi, you posture like an uninformed cunt.

Whatever can be said about GD, PoE is one of the most popular ARPGs today and has combat far superior in design, customization, and complexity to D2. And it is fun without requiring two button builds. That's just one example.

I'd even argue that modded TL2 would meet your vague definition of having 'decent' combat.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You posture like someone butthurt by the truth. PoE is a terrible game for drooling kleptomaniac retards with the worst combat ever. "Two button builds" is not just one example, it is how the class I chose to play worked for 20+ levels or however long it was I could force myself to play that mindless crap. I never played TL2 so maybe it does have decent combat, I couldn't get over the disney pixar graphics.

think im too old for ARPGs now (25). it's the same shit over n over again. that being said, I have sunk like 100+hours into GD. I appreciated the build variety compared to the casual Torchlight 2.
It should say "teen" on the system requirements.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PoE is not a two button aRPG, it is one button aRPG as far as skill use goes. But to spice things up, it forces player to also use 1 to 5 because potions are core of the game, more than any other game I seen.

Emmanuel2

Savant
PoE is not a two button aRPG, it is one button aRPG as far as skill use goes. But to spice things up, it forces player to also use 1 to 5 because potions are core of the game, more than any other game I seen.

Unless you're using WB or any other movement skill as your primary source of movement, then it becomes a two-button aRPG + 5 potions.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TBH, having to use more than two buttons in a (pseudo)isometric RT game with mouse-based targeting sucks anyway. Which is why people tend to simplify their builds even if it doesn't cause them to lose too much DPS. But in GD, since you cannot bind more than one devotion proc to any skill, endgame offensive builds tend to be more complex.

Third-person camera, WASD movement and keyboard-based targeting would make the combat feel much less awkward and hectic, especially for melee builds.

Sykar

Arcane
but apparently the gaming public have zero standards so it will probably never happen.

anvi, you posture like an uninformed cunt.

Whatever can be said about GD, PoE is one of the most popular ARPGs today and has combat far superior in design, customization, and complexity to D2. And it is fun without requiring two button builds. That's just one example.

I'd even argue that modded TL2 would meet your vague definition of having 'decent' combat.

No just no. Combat in PoE is nice but ultimately revolves around a single skill usually in a 5 or 6 link with optimal gems. The rest is usually used up for 1 dash skill and some defensive skills which can be set up to activate passively so the whole game literally becomes a 2 button mash fest. On top of that the animations for skills range from ok to outright terrible.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Unless you're using WB or any other movement skill as your primary source of movement, then it becomes a two-button aRPG + 5 potions.
I don't count that as a skill, it is way of movement like holding left mouse button. It could be considered a skill if it was part of the class and that class depended on it (like teleport in D2) but in PoE anyone can use it and it is a way for people to move faster around the maps.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What difference does the time make? In a MOBA I have 4 spells maybe more with items, and it an intense and fun 30 minutes. I'd much rather do that than 50 hours of pressing 2 buttons. People think of mobas as being dumb kids games yet they have a lot more depth than these diablo clones.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ok, i believe you (i agree that Diablo 2 clones are formulaic and repetitive and can be called boring, all the "fun" parts are in the build's making - and the addiction, overall a crappy genre for sure) but why post it in this particular diablo clone disscussion thread ? This isn't even the worst clone. Go annoy D3 fans... Ah i see.
Please continue, but as of this moment you failed to generate enough butthurt to make it even mildly amusing. Your trolling is WORSE than an average diablo clone gameplay. An accomplishment for sure.

Saduj

Arcane
I'm at the point where I need to choose a faction to ally with in Homestead. Based on what the game tells you, I should be going with the religious cult. But I had a character from the beta that had allied with them and from the vendors I have access to, their items do little to nothing for my build.

Thinking about going with the necromancers even though I don't use summons. Does it really matter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom