Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V FIVE Thread

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Townley

Michael Vernon Townley (born December 5, 1942 in Waterloo, Iowa) is a United States citizen currently living in the U.S. under terms of the federal witness protection program. A Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) agent and operative of the Chileansecret police, DINA, Townley confessed, was convicted, and served 62 months in prison in the United States for the 1976 Washington, D.C., assassination of Orlando Letelier, former Chilean ambassador to the United States. As part of his plea bargain, Townley received immunity from further prosecution and was therefore not extradited to Argentina to stand trial for the assassination of Chilean generalCarlos Prats and his wife.[1] Townley has also been convicted (1993), in absentia, by an Italian court for carrying out the 1975 Rome murder attempt on Bernardo Leighton.[2] Townley worked in producing chemical weapons for Chilean dictator General Pinochet's use against political opponents along with Colonel Gerardo Huber[3] and the DINA biochemist Eugenio Berríos.[4]

[...]

References[edit]
  1. Jump up^ "Diplomat's Assassin to be Freed". Washington Post. 1983-07-26.
  2. Jump up^ "Agent of Chilean Secret Service Convicted of Murder Attempt". UPI. 1993-03-11.
  3. Jump up^ Manuel Salazar Salvo, Roto el pacto de silencio en la inteligencia militar, Punto Final, n°611, 24 March – 6 April 2006 (Spanish)
  4. ^ Jump up to:a b Michael Townley fue interrogado por muerte de Frei Montalva, Radio Cooperativa, 30 March 2005 (Spanish)
  5. Jump up^ Declassified documents, 2, 3 published by the National Security Archive
  6. ^ Jump up to:a b c Contreras dice que Pinochet dio orden "personal, exclusiva y directa" de asesinar a Prats y Letelier, La Tercera, May 13, 2005, mirrored on CC.TT. website (Spanish)
  7. Jump up^ Declassified documents 2, 4 and 2, 5 available on the National Security Archive website
  8. Jump up^ Arancibia, "clave" en la cooperación de las dictaduras, La Jornada, 22 May 2005 (Spanish)
  9. ^ Jump up to:a b Declassified documents, 2, 6 published by the National Security Archive
  10. Jump up^ Declassified documents, 2, 7 and 2,8, published by the National Security Archive
  11. Jump up^ Freudenheim, Milt and Roberts, Katherine "Chilean Admits Role in '76 Murder" The New York Times, February 8, 1987. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
  12. Jump up^ **Terrorism Then and Now, Saul Landau, in CounterPunch, August 20–21, 2005 **Posada and his accomplices, active collaborators of Pinochet’s fascist police, Granma, 26 March 2003
  13. Jump up^ Interview of Michael Townley by special agents of the FBI in Washington DC on 10/20/81, National Security Archive
  14. Jump up^ Declassified documents, 2, 2 published by the National Security Archive
  15. Jump up^ El coronel que le pena al ejército, La Nación, September 24, 2005 (Spanish)
  16. Jump up^ Albert Vallejo, Chile indemniza a la familia de Soria 26 años después de su asesinato, El Mundo, 24 December 2002 (Spanish)
  17. Jump up^ Jorge Molina Sanhueza, El último secreto del crimen de Soria abre la puerta para condenar a brigadier (R) Lepe, La Nación, 21 August 2006(Spanish)
  18. Jump up^ Senado aprobó indemnización para familia de Carmelo Soria, Radio Cooperativa, 18 July 2007 (Spanish)
  19. Jump up^ President Cossiga's letter
  20. Jump up^ Visit by Guillermo Novo Sampol to Chile in 1976, 1 and 2, on the National Security Archive website
There is also a Grand Theft Auto V character named micheal townley that was a bank robber. it is unknown if there is a connection between the 2.

:lol:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Does anyone think you die too easily in this game? It kinda saps the fun out when you don't get to watch ridiculous ragdoll effects from crashing, or when random gangsters can gun you down in like 4 shots.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anyone think you die too easily in this game? It kinda saps the fun out when you don't get to watch ridiculous ragdoll effects from crashing, or when random gangsters can gun you down in like 4 shots.

Upgrading STR and having some armor helps, mind that headshot are lethal on you too.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...online-micro-transaction-pack-prices-revealed

"UPDATE: Rockstar has officially confirmed the existence of paid-for cash packs in Grand Theft Auto Online via a just-published blog post, and moved to reassure fans that the game has been balanced so these are not necessary to progress.

That said, Rockstar acknowledges that paying for in-game cash will get you certain items quicker.

"You can either quickly accumulate cash through profitable activities like knocking over armoured cars, winning street races, doing stick-ups or a host of other cash-making endeavours," Rockstar wrote, "or if you're the completely instant gratification type, you can choose to buy denominations of GTA$.

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don't have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker."

And, as Eurogamer reported earlier today, money amounts in GTA Online do not correspond with that of Grand Theft Auto 5's single-player mode - where earning large sums takes time.

"The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other," Rockstar concludes. "Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode."

A number of upcoming content additions - what you'll effectively be paying for with those in-game cash purchases - have also been revealed. First up is the Content Creator - previously thought to be part of the mode's initial release. It will allow you to design your own deathmatches and races and also include, further down the line, a Capture the Flag mode.

Other upcoming content will include the Beach Bum Pack - containing four new beach vehicles, 300+ items of leisure wear and two new weapons, and Heists - full-on cooperative missions that will require planning and teamwork to succeed.

ORIGINAL STORY: You'll be able to spend between £1.99 and £13.49 in Grand Theft Auto Online for individual packs of in-game money, people with early access to the mode have told Eurogamer.

The four GTA Online currency cards spotted yesterday in the code of Rockstar's own site are still to be officially announced, but we understand they will have UK prices of the following amounts:

$100,000 Red Shark Cash Card - £1.99
$200,000 Tiger Shark Cash Card - £3.49
$500,000 Bull Shark Cash Card - £6.99
$1,250,000 Great White Shark Cash Card - £13.49
These details originate from a source with early access to Grand Theft Auto 5's multiplayer mode. While details may still be tweaked prior to its final release, this is how things currently stand less than a week before it goes live.

Simply put, the more expensive the cash pack, the better the exchange rate you'll get. But it's also worth noting that while GTA Online uses the same world as GTA5, prices for in-game items do vary between the two.

A car that costs $1 million in the game's single-player mode can be bought for much less in Online - more like $150,000. Properties are also cheaper - the most expensive you can own is $400,000.

And you can only own a single property. When you trade houses you get a rebate on the place you've moved from, so you can re-use your in-game credit to some extent.

But while some things are cheaper, others are more expensive. You'll pay more for weapon and car mods, and most are initially out of normal financial reach. Yet any potential access to these items can only be unlocked when your character ranks up.

This means that, even with extra money from cash packs, a low-level character will have few options to initially spend it on. Players start with the option to buy just pistols and a single set of tyres.

GTA Online's micro-transactions may provide less of a boosting mechanic than first expected, then, although limited-time consumables will also be available.

Full details of the mode will be revealed sometime before its public launch on 1st October.

Rockstar has yet to respond to Eurogamer's request for comment. "

:decline:

Jesus Christ, 1 Billion dollars isn't enough? It's hilarious to go to the IGN video about this, and see all of the accounts who are clearly managed by PR and damage control types who are obviously trying to trick people in to arguing with them, so while page after page of Youtube comments is nothing but "Fuck you corporate goon!", the real idea of legitimate hatred against the Pay 2 win model is left in the dust. Fuck them all.

It's definitely very easy to die. However, since there's no harsh punishment for it it's not a big bother. It makes shootouts more interesting.

I'm not bothered by these cash packs. Retards who buy stuff like that usually are shittier players anyway. If there are no exclusive items that you can only get with real money then it's a non-issue for me. Some dumbass might get some items faster with real cash, but the dude who earns them properly will be a more experienced player by the time he gets them. Pay-for-in game cash idiots will only be ruining game progression for themselves and are more likely to drop it faster.

Last edited:

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
So, combat really is somewhat like Max Payne 3?
I played Max Payne 3 after GTA 5, and GTA 5's combat is a downgrade:

a) Character control feels very sluggish in comparison.
b) Encounters are designed around staying in cover, letting health regenerate and making use of the lock on aiming system (it's the default aiming scheme, and you are intentionally handicapping yourself when you attempt rampages without it). Encounter design also focuses a lot more on wave after wave of enemies.

It is much better than GTA 4, which might be a more fair comparison. I did prefer RDR's combat to GTA 5's though because the lack of fully automatic weapons went well with the deliberate character movement and control scheme.

bussinrounds

Augur
So, combat really is somewhat like Max Payne 3?
making use of the lock on aiming system (it's the default aiming scheme, and you are intentionally handicapping yourself when you attempt rampages without it).
Fuck that. I'll never use that faggot ass lock on horseshit. Just beat the redneck rampage with free aim. It took a few tries though, but I'd rather do that than breeze thru everything it on the first try anyway.

bussinrounds

Augur
I never played a GTA game online. Do you get ppls dough/weapons.. when you kill them ?

GTA 4 online modes were either deathmatch or dicking around in free roam, not MMO style.
So can I robb ppl for their in game money, items, weapons now ? That would be glorious, robbing them for shit the dumbfucks actually paid for with real $$ :incline:

I'm sure they won't make it like that though, would cause too much butthurt.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I never played a GTA game online. Do you get ppls dough/weapons.. when you kill them ?

GTA 4 online modes were either deathmatch or dicking around in free roam, not MMO style.
So can I robb ppl for their in game money, items, weapons now ? That would be glorious, robbing them for shit the dumbfucks actually paid for with real $$ :incline:

You have a bank account in GTA online, from which you can withdraw cash. If you get killed, that cash is dropped

bussinrounds

Augur

You have a bank account in GTA online, from which you can withdraw cash. If you get killed, that cash is dropped
Better be careful around those ATMs. I could see motherfuckers just waiting for ppl to withdraw cash.

Anyone know how the radar is gonna be handled online ? When I tried Red Dead online, your dot only appeared on the radar when you fired off a shot or ran, I believe. I think I was playing on the hardcore servers or whatever the equivalent of that was. Not really a fan of everyone's positions being visible at all times (or at all for that matter), because then it just turns into a radar watching contest.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
I hope it'd be like RDRs radar, as you said they can only see you if you make some loud noises. considering GTA V having kinda a noise meter and some stealth moves it'll be a like I hope.

toroid

Arcane
Huh, something just occurred to me. I wonder if they intentionally made control over the characters' movement sluggish so that online animations could be smoother and more latency-friendly.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think I am pretty far in, savegame saves 50% but I just robbed a band and a train, don't know how much more stuff they can throw at me. I suppose 100% is not just the story but every goddamn race and stuff too?

Anyway, this game is a BLAST.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So, this time around I am actually listening to the classic rock and reggeae/dub or pop stations, even though I hate such music normally. The stations slowly start to grow on me. Only the country station is a total fail in this game. Where are the slow, melancholic songs like "Two Cigarettes in the ashtray" ?

Slowly reaching the "100%" of the game game, doing the monster stunts, collecting nuclear waste and such. Cant wait for the actual online game.

Notorious

Augur
That was not my point. My point was, that the media was prasing it for it's graphics. Why are you people so defensive of GTA V? Seriously come on.

I don't own it and know nothing about it. Don't assume people who disagree with you are being "defensive."

I'm telling you it looks amazing for the hardware, and in general really, outside of poor textures, which a lot of people don't care about. This isn't fucking rocket science. You care a lot about textures and think it looks like shit... good for you.

Sorry I have not been able to write a reply to this point. Just wanted to write this:

"It's looks amazing within it's limitations" is stupid. Your stupid.

I'm telling you it looks amazing for the hardware, and in general really, outside of poor textures, which a lot of people don't care about. This isn't fucking rocket science. You care a lot about textures and think it looks like shit... good for you.

and this is stupid.

End of post.

That was not my point. My point was, that the media was prasing it for it's graphics. Why are you people so defensive of GTA V? Seriously come on.

I don't own it and know nothing about it. Don't assume people who disagree with you are being "defensive."

Sorry I have not been able to write a reply to this point. Just wanted to write this:

"It's looks amazing within it's limitations" is stupid. Your stupid.

and this is stupid.

End of post.

Calling someone stupid while using the wrong wording, delicious. And some of us still appreciate the visuals of games that use less graphical power than a random rendered hair on Trevor's ass...we'll survive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom