Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

Wasteland 2
Story is more boring and graphics are almost on the same level as Vice City, gameplay is the same in all three. How it can be clunky as fuck and two other not ?

Story is more boring and graphics are almost on the same level as Vice City, gameplay is the same in all three. How it can be clunky as fuck and two other not ?

Bullshit, driving and shooting, the things you're doing most in these games, is considerably worse in 3 compared to VC. Not that VC is good at those two, just easier to tolerate. Plus the mission design in VC is more fun imo, I really can't find any reason to play 3 nowadays.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked these TV videos in GTA IV.

Kinda wonder if they would make another similar ones. Also they should add bit more musics into GTA V, GTA IV musics went old fast. A lot of stations, but not enough variety in tracks.

toroid

Arcane
Where GTA5 cannot be beat is in the incredible amount of detail that's present in the game world. No two places look the same. Every alley, rooftop, building, and corner is crammed full of unique believable detail. As a game environment and a sandbox it's freaking stunning. The driving physics/mechanics is another aspect it does very very well. Combine the two together and you already have the infrastructure for a lot of seriously fun times.

What's really disappointing and nonsensical, though, is how few risks they take with the gameplay content and story elements. Overall the game has a sterilized corporate-approved-criminal-simulator kind of vibe going on. There could have been some really fantastic missions and gameplay, but the game seemed to be too busy pushing a crime-doesn't-pay agenda. The influence of political correctness is readily apparent. There are plenty of obvious anti-drug messages and artificial moral boundaries and shitty political commentaries that are pushed into your face. The most ballsy thing you can expect is a bit of satirical social commentary. It's pretty disgusting that GTA is relegated to this.

Where GTA5 cannot be beat is in the incredible amount of detail that's present in the game world. No two places look the same. Every alley, rooftop, building, and corner is crammed full of unique believable detail. As a game environment and a sandbox it's freaking stunning. The driving physics/mechanics is another aspect it does very very well. Combine the two together and you already have the infrastructure for a lot of seriously fun times.

I'm looking forward to seeing that once the real version is out. I already found level of detail in GTAIV extremely impressive, and I had fuckload of fun time with driving physics. If those are actually improved in 5 then good times ahead.

Perkel

Arcane
Can't wait for first PC gamers to bitch about performance and how their i79999x doesn't even menage to run game at 20FPS.
Butt-hurt will be glorious

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

What's really disappointing and nonsensical, though, is how few risks they take with the gameplay content and story elements. Overall the game has a sterilized corporate-approved-criminal-simulator kind of vibe going on. There could have been some really fantastic missions and gameplay, but the game seemed to be too busy pushing a crime-doesn't-pay agenda. The influence of political correctness is readily apparent. There are plenty of obvious anti-drug messages and artificial moral boundaries and shitty political commentaries that are pushed into your face. The most ballsy thing you can expect is a bit of satirical social commentary. It's pretty disgusting that GTA is relegated to this.
How much worse is it in comparison to GTA SA? I didn't feel too much anti drug feelings, and they smoked pot only every other mission. SA had some seriously crazy stuff, like trying to win that race against blind, or infiltrating a military base, or that harvester.

toroid

Arcane

I'm looking forward to seeing that once the real version is out. I already found level of detail in GTAIV extremely impressive, and I had fuckload of fun time with driving physics. If those are actually improved in 5 then good times ahead.
There's one big change to the car physics from GTA4 that I have mixed feelings about. In GTA4 the cars were much softer and could be bent into an undriveable wreck with one decent impact. The cars in GTA5 are significantly harder to damage. I actually really liked how the GTA4 cars could be bent and crushed easily, it was a really satisfying effect. You could take a large heavy vehicle and use it to ram a passenger car against a wall, and deform the shit out of it until it didn't look like a car anymore. That shit is just fun. In GTA5 the cars can withstand a lot more abuse and do not deform very much. In a way this is better because you don't have to worry about breaking your current means of transportation just because you hit a bump in the road too hard. I appreciate the change but I do miss the more easily deformable physics of the cars in GTA4.

Otherwise the driving is improved in every way. Handling characteristics are more sporty and responsive, and less heavy and drifty.

How much worse is it in comparison to GTA SA? I didn't feel too much anti drug feelings, and they smoked pot only every other mission. SA had some seriously crazy stuff, like trying to win that race against blind, or infiltrating a military base, or that harvester.
I didn't play enough of SA to be able to make a good comparison. In GTA5 they make drug use as ugly and unappealing as possible, it's done in such a silly way that it actually draws your attention to it. When you choose to smoke weed or drink alcohol your character goes into a self loathing rant. (Also, LOL.)

throwaway

Cipher
Wait so how is this different to playing the vanilla @720? I don't remember it limiting the possible resolutions.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you want to try a 3D GTA, start with Vice City. GTA 3 was a big leap when it was first released, but it kinda aged badly, Vice City really polished a lot of the areas where GTA 3 was lacking.

It still cockblocks you behind absolutely actrocious helicopter mission though, something that is done so teeth grindingly bad that it oftentimes causes instant uninstalls of the game.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I never understood why some people have problems with the helicopter controls, that shits easy.

It's designed for people with six thumbs on each hand. I guess you're sort of special like that then.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Left hand goes to arrow keys, right hand to numeric keypad. If i remember correctly, left and right (with left hand) to control turning, 8 and 2 to control forward/backward, 4 and 6 to control leaning (with right hand). Easy.

Not 100% sure, I would need to check, but too lazy for that. You get the idea.

Edit: Oh yeah I think there was also up/down with the left hand to go, well, up and down.

bert

Arcane
If you want to try a 3D GTA, start with Vice City. GTA 3 was a big leap when it was first released, but it kinda aged badly, Vice City really polished a lot of the areas where GTA 3 was lacking.

It still cockblocks you behind absolutely actrocious helicopter mission though, something that is done so teeth grindingly bad that it oftentimes causes instant uninstalls of the game.

San Andreas had the worst helicopter mission of all time though.

The RC plane mission. I never bothered to get past that part.

:negative:

WASD for flying up down and banking left or right, numpad arrow keys for forward/backwards and turning. Helicopters control fine. So do planes. A lot of people just suck and prefer a simpler flying model of some other games. Personally I had a lot more fun flying in GTA games than, say, Saints Row.

San Andreas had the worst helicopter mission of all time though.

The RC plane mission. I never bothered to get past that part.

:negative:

:lol: That's an optional mission and it's not even that hard, I always did it on first try on repeat playthroughs. Same with helicopter mission in VC.
My least favorite missions in older GTA games are the ones with lots of shooting, because shooting is where they truly suck. Not saying GTAIV has great combat, but shooting controls are huge improvement over 3/VC/SA. So is driving (again, if you don't suck).

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I think that mission where you needed to jump from a plane into another plane was worse.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I haven't played Vice City for over seven years and I still get fucking mad when I see that goddamn toy helicopter mission. Pretty sure San Andreas topped it with its toy helicopter missions and mandatory flight school one, though.

baturinsky

Arcane
Aircraft controls are clunky in GTAs, but manageable once you figure how to distribute your fingers.
If any mission makes me mad, it's not any helicopter-involving, but there is exactly one in each GTA3. In LC it's where you have to destroy coke stands all over the map on time limit, in VC it's one with racing to get bank heist driver, and in SA it's with jumping from plane to plane.

Also, I think that LC aged very well and has the best atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom