Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goodbye Bioware

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It depends on perspective and expectations. TW2 selling like 1.4 million on PC alone is a major success for CDPR, given their total costs and size, but would be a failure for Bioware and EA. Still, I honestly doubt anyone at EA considers DA2 a financial success. If it were just a mediocre game with a short development cycle, that would've been fine, but there's also DA3 sales to look forward to, and you can be damn sure all those people who preordered DA2 expecting a proper sequel, and got an absolute turd, will be much more conservative with their money next time.

Bioware games appear to not sell in accordance to EA's expectations in general, DA2 is just the best example. Compare with CoD games, which are churned out yearly with tons of reused assets, and still sell over 8 million copies.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bioware games appear to not sell in accordance to EA's expectations in general, DA2 is just the best example. Compare with CoD games, which are churned out yearly with tons of reused assets, and still sell over 8 million copies. "
Evidence please? EA has never even hinted at BIO game sales to be a 'dissapointment'? And, no way do they believe that a BIO game can sell COD, Sims, or Madden numbers. That's retarted if you actually think EA legitly expects a BIo game to sell 8-10 mil.

BIO previously admitted that their games are not at that level. Never were never are, never will be.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yes but if you look at their content as it progresses over the years it's easy to observe that they're scaling back RPG content (stats, skills, whatnot) and making explosions louder and flashier to beef sales.

This may sound obvious but there are apparently people who still don't get it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Bioware games appear to not sell in accordance to EA's expectations in general, DA2 is just the best example. Compare with CoD games, which are churned out yearly with tons of reused assets, and still sell over 8 million copies. "
Evidence please? EA has never even hinted at BIO game sales to be a 'dissapointment'? And, no way do they believe that a BIO game can sell COD, Sims, or Madden numbers. That's retarted if you actually think EA legitly expects a BIo game to sell 8-10 mil.

BIO previously admitted that their games are not at that level. Never were never are, never will be.

Admitted where?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
better read that link carefully. Nowhere does he say it's 10mil or bust, dumbass. He's admitting what I just said - BIO games are not at the level of the 10mil sellers. He admits BIO games like DA and ME are 'minor' hts in the big picture and if BIO wants a major hitt hey would neeed to sell 10mil copies. That's the ultimiate goal but it's not a realistic goal at this time nor is EA saying 'ssell 10 mil copies or youa re shitcanned'.

"Yes but if you look at their content as it progresses over the years it's easy to observe that they're scaling back RPG content (stats, skills, whatnot) and making explosions louder and flashier to beef sales.

This may sound obvious but there are apparently people who still don't get it. "

And, it explains why newer BIO games sell more than the older ones. Of course, newer BIO games tend to better RPGs than BG. LMFAO​

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
"Well, we need to sell 10 million units," said Zeschuk. "That's actually the new target"
"we have a budget to make great big giant games"
vs

He's admitting what I just said - BIO games are not at the level of the 10mil sellers r00fles LMAO you ar edumb

oh volly, please, never change.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
"Well, we need to sell 10 million units," said Zeschuk. "That's actually the new target"
vs

He's admitting what I just said - BIO games are not at the level of the 10mil sellers r00fles LMAO you ar edumb

Don't even bother. Volly ALWAYS gets the last reply.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I think they legitimately expect to reach Skyrim numbers with ME3. ME3 has way more "mainstream appeal" than Skyrim, and the marketing campaign is certainly up to par with Bethesda's, so I can see where they would get this idea. And looking at it from the "cover-based shooter" perspective, Gears of War sold nearly 6 million a few years ago, in a time of smaller sales figures across the board.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
vs

Don't even bother. Volly ALWAYS gets the last reply.
I know, I know. Just like he will never, ever find out how the quote function works. it's like magnets, fucking miracles man

Volourn

Pretty Princess
" think they legitimately expect to reach Skyrim numbers with ME3. ME3 has way more "mainstream appeal" than Skyrim, and the marketing campaign is certainly up to par with Bethesda's, so I can see where they would get this idea. And looking at it from the "cover-based shooter" perspective, Gears of War sold nearly 6 million a few years ago, in a time of smaller sales figures across the board. "
BIO/ME are not at GoW popularity levels. Not even close. 4-5 mil is the best it can hope for. Mor elikely 3-4mil.

Commander Xbox

Learned
" think they legitimately expect to reach Skyrim numbers with ME3. ME3 has way more "mainstream appeal" than Skyrim, and the marketing campaign is certainly up to par with Bethesda's, so I can see where they would get this idea. And looking at it from the "cover-based shooter" perspective, Gears of War sold nearly 6 million a few years ago, in a time of smaller sales figures across the board. "
BIO/ME are not at GoW popularity levels. Not even close. 4-5 mil is the best it can hope for. Mor elikely 3-4mil.

youre right, and thats why the game is a failure. EA totally transformed the ME series and had gigantic marketing campaigns for both ME2 and 3 in order to try and get to skyrim/gears of war popularity and audience, yet they cant crack the 3.5 million barrier theyve had since dragon age :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
ME2 sold over 4mil copies. ME3 is well on its way.

You know nothing. Then again, we already knew that.

Stinger

Arcane
Never heard the 4 mill number Volo. What's your source?

Aside from yourself...or the fact that you're always right about bioware especially when you're wrong.

Shannow

Waster of Time
This lack of reliable sources is quite shitty. We should buy one share in EA. That way we could go to all shareholder meetings and demand accurate numbers. Otherwise we have to work with whatever Volly makes up.

Dexter

Arcane
DA2 sold 2mil+ copies in the first month. That's not a bomb by any fukkin' defintion. FFS

No BIO game sells 5-10mil copies nor does EA really think one well. Let's not be stupid here. That's Madden type numbers and no way is a BIO game at Madden's level of popularity. FFS

DA2 didn't sell 2 million, I still think that's shipped, especially since it came like 1 month after the "we sold 1 million" announcement, I'm thinking somewhere upwards of 1.5 mill (including digital), which isn't bad seeing as they didn't even work 2 full years on it and cut cost at every corner possible, but they burned the franchise bad with the game and also shook the credibility of their paid review industry in one fell swoop. The game was extremely frontloaded, it sold more than DA:O on Pre-Orders and in the first 1-2 weeks but declined hard as soon as people found out it is a pile of shit on a platter. They will have a harder time convincing people to buy their next game, especially on the blind faith that they rely on.

DA2DAO-2.jpg

Other than that I'm definitely seeing Bioware declining and leaking talent left and right, between Brent Knowles (who was Lead Designer for DA:O) leaving right before Dragon Age 2, Drew Karpyshyn leaving as Mass Effect Lead Writer, these three guys leaving to found their own Indie studio and make a game they actually wanted to do (The Banner Saga), the guys talked about in this article and the countless number of people that likely don't even get any headlines it's hard not to see why their games are on a steep decline in regards to quality to even their previous work (which could also largely stem from the corporate culture), hell there was a post I saw a few days ago stating that from the original "Mass Effect" writing team from when the franchise started only 2 people still work on the project over here. The cycle other companies like Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis, Pandemic and many others went through being owned by EA seems to be repeating and I don't think "SW:ToR" will save Bioware from that fate and become what "World of Warcraft" is to Activision Blizzard at any point, but we'll see in 1-2 years.

You can't put it any more clearly/bluntly than that:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110501...s/5141/bioware-we-want-call-of-dutys-audience

Shannow

Waster of Time
Anyone with any taste said goodbye to Bioware 10 years ago, a thank you.

Never heard the 4 mill number Volo. What's your source?

Aside from yourself...or the fact that you're always right about bioware especially when you're wrong.
He lives in Canada and he has more emotional engagement towards Bioware than a mere fan could ever have. Even his name is a play on Volo the Sage. He has to be someone who works there or has family there. I can't accept someone who was a rabid fan for baldur's gate could also be a rabid fan of DA 2 and ME series.

Plus he seems dead sure about his made up numbers. Maybe the son or nephew of one of the docs?
1. Volo is a D&D fluff character, not a Bioware character.
2. AFAIK, Volourn Honorblade has been Volly's PnP character since forever and has nothing to do with Volo.
3. AFAIK, Bioware hates him. He's been repeatedly banned from the bioboards.
4. He's just an ass that started off trolling with a stupid Bio-fanboy-internet-persona and then went crazy and started believing his own trolling.

String him along for the lulz if that is your thing, but don't expect a rational or serious discussion out of him. It's like talking to a brick wall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom