Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Playstation Vita titles

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tales of Hearts R anyone?

I think I might pass. I have an unnatural disdain for Tales games. Well, at least for the one I played the most, Symphonia. Combat was boring, dialogue was a test of my own sanity and the graphics were really dull. Granted I put in, oh say, 5 hours maximum into the game? I guess I wasn't in the mood for typical anime bull, but I can't bring myself up to trying it on my PS3 again (got the HD thing).

I've heard people say Symphonia was the "quintessential" Tales game, that's why I avoided the other ones. Was that just bull? I really need something for this paperweight I call a Vita.

it grinds my gears that sony actually didn't fuck up their cryptographic key deployment this time. You'll never have emulators of this one (or the next ones).

In turn I'm grinded because they didn't make it so you can play Vita games on the Ps3/Ps4. You can find guides on the internet explaining how fucking easy it is to run the emulator and copy the content of the UMD to the consoles' HD, but Sony not only is largely uninterested and instead goes for the "You can play GTA5 on the crapper" angle, but they will ban you from PSN if you play it while you're connected and they catch you. It's like they want Nintendo to roflstomp them.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

I think I might pass. I have an unnatural disdain for Tales games. Well, at least for the one I played the most, Symphonia. Combat was boring, dialogue was a test of my own sanity and the graphics were really dull. Granted I put in, oh say, 5 hours maximum into the game? I guess I wasn't in the mood for typical anime bull, but I can't bring myself up to trying it on my PS3 again (got the HD thing).

I've heard people say Symphonia was the "quintessential" Tales game, that's why I avoided the other ones. Was that just bull? I really need something for this paperweight I call a Vita.
This will be my first "Tales of..." game, so I can't comment on that, but I'll share my impressions while playing.

Siveon

Bot

This will be my first "Tales of..." game, so I can't comment on that, but I'll share my impressions while playing.

Oh, wow. I would never do something like that, after a few stinkers I get sort of tired of putting my money in shit I don't like.

Have fun, either way.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
There are 3 Atelier games on Vita:
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland

which one is the best if I din't play any games of the series?

Avellion

Erudite
They are selling Vitas over here for dirt cheap.

I am considering picking one up along with...

Soul Sacrifice.
Purse Owner 4: Golden.
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Rainbow Moon
Little Big Planet (My brother is a huge sucker for these games)
Velocity 2X
Some Disgaea (But the horror stories of grind is making me rather iffy)

Anything I am missing, are any of these shit? Is a Vita Slim worth 100 USD?

Siveon

Bot
Rainbow Moon is shit. It's a boring as all hell SRPG that feels more of a grind than Disgaea. When you get a Vita (for whatever reason, I don't recommend it myself), try the demo out on PSN. You'll realize pretty much instantly why I think it's shit. At most, it's terribly mediocre.

I believe the Disgaea games also have demos.

There are 3 Atelier games on Vita:
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland

which one is the best if I din't play any games of the series?

I haven't played any of them, or even care to, but I believe the series follows an overall narrative (from what I've heard) so it'll probably be best to just stick to the first one (I don't know which -- the fake french throws me the fuck off). It's a JRPG series made in the same generation, so I think it's okay to say that there aren't that many differences between the three to be monumental mechanically.

Martius

Liturgist
Well, there is one thing remaining. You will also need special sony sd card since vita wont use anything else. These can get pricey.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It gets better as it goes on. For a jrpg and a tales game its also very open. You can tackle locations at different times (even if that means facing stronger enemies) and so on. Its a bit overrated though.

When did you stop?

Siveon

Bot

It gets better as it goes on. For a jrpg and a tales game its also very open. You can tackle locations at different times (even if that means facing stronger enemies) and so on. Its a bit overrated though.

When did you stop?

It's been a while, but if I recall it was near the beginning. The chick found out she had an angel for a dad or whatever, and the group went off to go take on evil towers or something like that.

I don't remember.

Well, there is one thing remaining. You will also need special sony sd card since vita wont use anything else. These can get pricey.

Fucking hate those prices, as most of the games on the Vita is on psn. And since the Vita is basically a PS2 on the go, the games ranges from 50mb to 4 gigs. Annoying as all hell.

Avellion

Erudite
Rainbow Moon is shit. It's a boring as all hell SRPG that feels more of a grind than Disgaea. When you get a Vita (for whatever reason, I don't recommend it myself), try the demo out on PSN. You'll realize pretty much instantly why I think it's shit. At most, it's terribly mediocre.

I guess I will just ask my friend why he recommended Rainbow moon then, if it is as bad as it sounds.

I recall someone mentioning that the Vita slim had a small SD card on its own.

Duraframe300

Arcane

When did you stop?

It's been a while, but if I recall it was near the beginning. The chick found out she had an angel for a dad or whatever, and the group went off to go take on evil towers or something like that.

I don't remember.

Fucking hate those prices, as most of the games on the Vita is on psn. And since the Vita is basically a PS2 on the go, the games ranges from 50mb to 4 gigs. Annoying as all hell.

Shortly afterwards they befriend an old women in a slavecamp and help her out a bit. Turns out thats not such a good idea, because the village gets burned down as retaliation and they have to fight a resident evil like monster who as it turns out is a horrible mutated version of the old women. (As punishment for her disobedience)

Granted, thats partly justification for the old *Hero gets exiled* but the tone does shift and theres actually quite a bit of layers to the story.

Siveon

Bot
Shortly afterwards they befriend an old women in a slavecamp and help her out a bit. Turns out thats not such a good idea, because the village gets burned down as retaliation and they have to fight a resident evil like monster who as it turns out is a horrible mutated version of the old women. (As punishment for her disobedience)

Granted, thats partly justification for the old *Hero gets exiled* but the tone does shift and theres actually quite a bit of layers to the story.

I remember that part as well. I must've mixed up the sequence of events. It wasn't that interesting imo -- though I blame that on the graphics & voice acting. It really clashes with the writing at times, I'm not saying it should be GR1MDARK or anything but it's really off-putting. I can't really take it seriously.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you do not own a PS3 or a PSP, I would also recommend Dragon's Crown, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 version or PSP version).

Muramasa Rebirth is decent but it is one of the most repetitive games out there. If you buy YS: MoC, and enjoy it, you could always try YS7 for PSP.

I personally feel that there are some PSP games that are worth trying out if you haven't played any PSP games.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I remember that part as well. I must've mixed up the sequence of events. It wasn't that interesting imo -- though I blame that on the graphics & voice acting. It really clashes with the writing at times, I'm not saying it should be GR1MDARK or anything but it's really off-putting. I can't really take it seriously.

Yeah, that I agree on.

Imo, the best Tales game is Vesperia.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Funny thing about the Tales games btw. lots of people don't seem to realize....

Train up a bit, set main charachter to auto and schwups combat plays itself. Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty (though its just hp/damage bloat) you will be fine. And even there it doesn't matter if you're overleveled. The combat can still be fun (depending on entry), but yeah...

Star Ocean 3&4, while being worse in many other respects, use a similiar combat system way better.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tales of Vesperia is my overall favorite Tales game but Tales of Graces f has the best combat system.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Tales of Vesperia is my overall favorite Tales game but Tales of Graces f has the best combat system.

Systems in general. Really well designed. It helped that I actually liked both cast and story.Reminded me of Eternia.

Siveon

Bot

Yeah, that I agree on.

Imo, the best Tales game is Vesperia.

I would agree with you, if I didn't lose my copy a few years back. :negative:

I used to co-op with my bro and I would play as the wolf with the freaking dagger in it's mouth. Certainly more fun than the other Tales games I've played.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
How's conception 2?
Has lots of potential, but combat and dungeons are very repetitive. Do you have any particular questions?
1. Is the dlc good?

2. How are the waifus?
1. Didn't have any DLCs.

2. Waifus are okay:
- Your young sexy teacher
- A friendly swimmer chick
- Green-haired cutie with shady past
- Big-titted shy girl
- Butthurt tiny girl, who tries to compensate the fact she looks like a small girl (my fav waifu)
- Noble blonde sword fighter chick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom