Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm, it is an indie turn based RPG-strategy, similar to Heroes of M&M. The graphics are similar to Heroes 3 (read: pretty good). Anybody tried it? It is only 5 bucks.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It certainly looks good. Like HoMM with more advanced combat.
Funny how nearly all the interesting games the five past years are either indies or Kickstarters...

Morkar Left

I don't know if it's good but I bought it instantly. Wasn't there a thread about it (or the soon to be successor) on the dex?

But at least two people reported issues with win7 64 and the game has NO MANUAL. Will try as soon as I have time.

Morkar Left

Couldn't resist to have a look at Eador. First, it runs without problems for me. Second, you don't need a manual. There is a great tutorial and every info is ingame available.

Only "played" for 20 minutes. So far it seems like a really good combination of Age of Wonders and HoMM. What I really liked is that terrain matters. E.g. hills give you good boni at shooting and defense while swamp is just bad for attack and defense. Can't say anything about how good the AI is so far and how complex the building part or diplomacy is. So far I'm intrigued.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm often surprised about the awesome games that come from Russia. I loved Space Rangers 2, and have heard good things about King's Bounty: Armored Princess, both from 1C Publishing. If I were to purchase one game, should it be Eador or Armored Princess, both of which seem influenced by HOMM?

Morkar Left

Dunno, for the price of under 5$ I would say for try out Eador and if you don't like it enough you can still buy King's Bounty. Eador seems to be the more complex one and your hero fights directly on the battlefield like in Age of Wonders 2 if that helps.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can probably find copies/keys for Armored Princess just floating around out there. It's been part of several bundles.

kaizoku

Arcane
I was also curious about this game, so I googled a bit...

Interesting GOG review:
This game is awesome. It was made by, virtually, one man and is in essence a mix of Heroes of Might & Magic, Sid Meier's Civilization, Age of Wonders (or Master of Magic), Warlords, Disciples, and many other fantasy or historical turn-based games. If you like any of those games, you're bound to like this one. Eador has many "levels" of gameplay, ranging from global conquest on a literally cosmic scale, to hexagonal skirmishes very similar to those seen in the Heroes series. In between, we have Civilization-style gameplay of conquest, technological research, and diplomacy. The unexplored lands are teeming with random encounters which will never bore you, and the deeper you dig in, the greater the prize - but also the danger. There are "heroes" which lead your armies, and both them and each unit in the army have experience levels, getting stronger with every fight they survive. You may even award your units medals for feats in battle! (which will actually make the unit even more formidable). It takes HOURS of real-life time to explore each individual land, and there are dozens of them out there, with a pretty interesting plot that will keep you entertained throughout, complete with a sarcastic little minion to comment on your actions. The story is non-linear, and there are multiple endings to the game. The only drawbacks of the game I can think of is somewhat dated 2D graphics with no animation (which did not bother me at all; in fact, I found them quite pleasing to the eye). It's funny to me that every time I try describe the sheer amount of stuff that's packed in this game, I end up speechless, since there's just too much to take in for one time. All in all: fans of old-school, fantasy-themed, turn-based strategy games: absolute MUST have. For everyone else, if you have an open mind about retro 2D visuals, I still strongly recommend you try it (there's a free demo available for download at the developer's website).This is a loving tribute to good old games of the past, but also an a great and fun title on its own.
P.S. Be advised - this one is a strong case of "one more turn" syndrome...

http://af.gog.com/forum/eador_genesis/save_game_button_you_are_sorely_missed?as=1649904300
Yeah you can't save scum, unfortunately. There is a button that lets you go back to the previous turn if you screw up, however.

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=3817
Could you tell us a little bit about Eador: Masters of the Broken World, its back story, inspirations and gameplay elements?

Eador. Masters of the Broken World is a 3D-remake of an earlier 2D-game, originally released in Russia in 2010. The game looked nice and the press ratings were great, but, of course, these days you can’t expect too much in terms of sales from a 2D turn-based strategy not even featuring any animations. Development of the 3D Eador was started in 2011 by newly established Snowbird Game Studios.

The original 2D prototype of Eador was developed by one person (with a little help of his friends) – Alexey Bokulev. Alexey has worked on that game for 3 years; it was his ‘dream game’ combining many cool features from his favorite strategy titles – Sid Meier’s Civilization, HoMM III and Master of Magic.

Alexey has joined Snowbird to work on the international release of Eador. Masters of the Broken World as lead game designer. Our goal with this game is to preserve the best features of the original while improving the gameplay experience by introducing new elements and adjusting game mechanics.

retarded fact from their website: http://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/faq/?lang=en
Where I can buy this game? You will be able to purchase it on Steam or in your local game store (provided that you’re living in Europe or US).
So they sell the older game at GOG, but won't sell the newer one (remake) there?
Talk about bitting the hand that feeds you.

3D tends to uglify things, but this one is looking great in 3D too.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm often surprised about the awesome games that come from Russia. I loved Space Rangers 2, and have heard good things about King's Bounty: Armored Princess, both from 1C Publishing. If I were to purchase one game, should it be Eador or Armored Princess, both of which seem influenced by HOMM?
If you're willing to wait a bit I'll probably have an extra Steam copy of King's Bounty the Legend I could toss your way. It's not Armored Princess, but it'd be free.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you're willing to wait a bit I'll probably have an extra Steam copy of King's Bounty the Legend I could toss your way. It's not Armored Princess, but it'd be free.

I'm down. I like free. I've also been wanting to try it.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm down. I like free. I've also been wanting to try it.
Righty-o, I'll keep you in mind and send a PM if/when I get it. :salute:

mondblut

Arcane
Eador was numerously mentioned on the Codex in the past. Good thing the translation has finally became a reality. A good megabyte of text, I don't think anything of such scale was ever localized from russian before.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I just realized the other day Eador is from the same people working on that game 'Caribbean' aka Fire and Sword 2.

Morkar Left

The combat ai is pretty dumb. But a smart ai for strategy games is an uncommon feature anyway. The game is very good in combining aspects from similar games. It's really a mix of AoW2, HoMM and Kings Bounty. It has some details like equipment sets, too which give an additional bonus when wearing together like in Diablo.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The combat ai is pretty dumb. But a smart ai for strategy games is an uncommon feature anyway. The game is very good in combining aspects from similar games. It's really a mix of AoW2, HoMM and Kings Bounty. It has some details like equipment sets, too which give an additional bonus when wearing together like in Diablo.

Yeah have to say after clocking in 8-10 hours into the game, and still feeling like I've barely scratched the surface, $4.79 is a hell of a deal for a game like this. I only stopped playing because the game crashed :(

So far it's been a week of fantastic releases for GOG, with titles like Primordia and Eador. Genesis (don't know much about The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles). Can't wait to see what Thursday's release will be (many of us are guessing Duke Nukem 1+2).

mondblut

Arcane
retarded fact from their website: http://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/faq/?lang=en
Where I can buy this game? You will be able to purchase it on Steam or in your local game store (provided that you’re living in Europe or US).
So they sell the older game at GOG, but won't sell the newer one (remake) there?

The newer one will likely be on GOG as well, and any other service willing to sell it. But Steam with its massive userbase has to be a priority. Being on Steam pretty much guarantees decent sales.

Speaking of which, the game must be pretty close to being greenlighted, and every vote counts. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93959913

Imperium

Novice

3D tends to uglify things, but this one is looking great in 3D too.

Yeah, we should update FAQ section. Masters of the Broken World will be available on GOG as well.

Kirtai

Augur
Well, I suppose it's The Manhole but I guess that doesn't sound much better :eek:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The manhole leading into the gutter Jaesun's mind is in

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom