Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good JRPGs on the PS2?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Has anyone played the Metal Saga games? I've heard they're completely open world, sort of like Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Disgaea huh? If you want to throw in SRPGs, I adored Front Mission 4 and 5. Absolutely recommend them.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Digital Devil Saga 1+2
Disgaea 1+2(they have PC versions too)
Eternal Poison
Front Mission 5
Mana Khemia 1+2
Shadows Hearts 1+2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
Valkyrie Profile 2

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Has anyone played the Metal Saga games? I've heard they're completely open world, sort of like Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song.
Primitive graphics, and small bland environments. Also when you get first chance to be married, don't do that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
c1800a31e047b692e9a95440b6ec0858.jpg

miles teg

Scholar
I second dark cloud 2 and the shadow hearts games: so happy that I'm not the only one who enjoyed those :) dark cloud 1 has a better diorama phase, but 2 has the better gameplay.

Shadow hearts is great, with a kind of horror setting. Coventant is too much light hearted compared with its predecessor but I remember I really enjoyed the graphics back then.
Never played from the new world, is it worth it?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shadow hearts is great, with a kind of horror setting. Coventant is too much light hearted compared with its predecessor but I remember I really enjoyed the graphics back then.
Never played from the new world, is it worth it?

If you think Covenant is too light hearted then From the New World will make you vomit rainbows. The setting is stupidly weeaboo in the worst kind of way. Combat system is a bit better but each encounter, even the trash ones, feel like they drag on due to HP bloat, so it's not a fun game to play even with the mechanical upgrades.

Shinji

Savant
  • Monster Hunter (I don't know if people consider it a RPG, but it's a fun game nonetheless)
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Suikoden III
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Valkyrie Profile 2 (has a very unique combat system, one of the best IMO)

Alienman

I don't like much Jap wierdshit myself; for the PS2 here is my recommendations:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Excellent setting, atmosphere, music and challenge with very fun mechanics (monster fusion for party members; skill progression for MC). A bit grindy game-play, but otherwise superb.

Digital Devl Saga 1 and 2 - Finished Nocturne? Want something similar? Almost as good as nocturne with more forgiving game-play mechanics.

Jade Coccon 2- Think Pokemon; but darker with its own hooks.

Breath of Fire IV Dragon Quarter - good setting and fun gameplay.

Shadow hearts 1 and 2: 1 and 2 are very solid; with 1 having the best setting and atmosphere in the series and 2 having a bit more interesting mechanics. Play 1 and 2; then ignore the existence of 3.

Eternal poison: Best strategy RPG ever. To get the full story you need to play from multiple protagonists. Each protag has his own team of recruit able uniques; every protag can recruit generic party members. There is no grinding; so can be very challenging if you fuck up your team.

Play these and then move on to the other recommendations as they have more weaboo.

Oh and stay away from Star ocean 3. I loved Star Ocean 1 on SNES and Star ocean 2 on PS1, but Star Ocean 3 on the PS2 is like Fallout 3 and Oblivion; perhaps worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom