Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

tormund

Arcane
I saw this weird thing mentioned elsewhere so I decided to try it since I already had it downloaded http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36582
Conversion of western themed IOS FPS... that was actually running on zdoom and contained bunch of "borrowed" resources from other TCs and commercial games like Outlaws. It's short (5 maps), it is indeed full of borrowed stuff (enemy sound effects and stuff like horse and bar table sprites are taken straight from old Fistfull of Doom TC), there are some graphical glitches and missing textures, there are some weird choices like loads of secret sectors being bunched together in some maps... But believe it or not it is actually fun and map can be pretty good looking at times. My favorite was second one, which is also probably the best looking and and had lots of solid optional exploration.
alRHvm8.jpg

iG6BlEL.jpg

9e0NWbb.jpg

wxOyKU2.jpg

egyxcan.jpg

PS I played the version from second page which contains all the music and sound effects from "original" game. Link for that one is down, so I reuploaded it myself in case some of you guys are interested it playing this http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ak4tiuam9zql5c/Bastards.wad

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
:roll:

Im confused what doom is this a mod of?
Nice! I've been wanting to give doom 64 a try, this might be a good excuse.
Excellent work. The look of it reminds me of Quake on Sega Saturn, for some reason.

I never played Doom 64, so it will be like a completely new game. Stoked!

I hope that Sgt will make Brutal Blood someday.

I wish those millennial mouthbreathers would just stick to their xbox popamoles.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/slipgate
Enjoyable and polished Quake-themed 10-map episode, if almost too easy for its own good. Nice detailing, nice atmosphere, completely devoid of music (it relies on nicely used ambient sounds instead). Maps are of small to medium size, monster counts stay around 100 for most maps. Lotsa early Zdoom wizardry on display, especially prominently used faux-swimable water. 'Tis divided into two thematically different halfs, first one being exclusively techbase themed while second one has a medieval/fantasy theme. First half relies heavily on objective based gameplay, which can be a bit annoying due to the amount of backtracking involved. It ends with a timed escape section, something I'm not a big fan of. Second half ditches objectives and is far less reliant on scripting, which I liked.

3C5E7C8FC74DF507EF89DC2972988534DE07B796

8571142EF51C55C0421FA313AEA5E66AB0EE9E4E

065628771BC98DEEF6F877EADD02D264B4E657D0

84D5B5A8304D721BB0C64A8AF363C06C01836D0D

6EDED55F422EB6983164185047D1F3E2514BA1B5

F2361BDEF6F9FE9A35FC11C28B06CAAD7222AC96

5079731E16D52FD0E970E62D84F164CAD18FE289

9539903BA2082F1985252D49632C58726AF5AC08

FCF2ABEC919A9441AF88E9D341821F26FD37A4C2

44318AB9DFFD95246CFE0BE750795238C8C76AF5

tormund

Arcane
I've been messing with Trailblazer gameplay/weapon mod. It's pretty good, weapons feel really satisfying and over the top, even if they are not really overpowered in practice. Dat revolver needs to be experienced first hand in order to be appreciated. Movement is also faster, and double taping any directional key makes you dash in that direction like in Unreal.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Knee Deep in Phobos (2009)

+ p well-designed maps, some uneventful backtracking but nothing too extreme
+ good encounters, this episode is harder than vanilla ep1, the monster count is higher and you'll encounter Mancubi, Revenants etc.
+ tastefully tweaked vanilla weapons
+ tastefully tweaked vanilla enemies
+ some new monster types

- the 2 new weapons suck the ass of a thousand dromedaries, fortunately those peashooter can be ignored

01AB55D2AF749530EFC5043AE23155CDD189683D

31A8FF473D11C309EE55BAB5C0F69EBA8C355EC8

F773D1C3274A2AC28C4E1C8768A05FF247FA3EFF

Miasma 2016

This one looked stunning but it turned out to be an Xtreme slaughter map, what a shame.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone played Talosian Incident?
I've played the two first levels, and I find it rather boring so far.
First map was very bland, and with no real enemies. The second was well designed, but very sparsely populated.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just completed Dawn of the Dead, a replacement episode for Doom 1's Knee Deep in the Dead.
The final level seemed unfinished, but apart from that it was solid, classic Doom 1 fun.
Same guy just released a sequel... almost 20 years after he made that episode, and after a decade long pause from Doom mapping. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/m-o/nos4dead

Cool, his Classic Episode is one of my all time favourite Doom 1 wads.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Stumbled on this new Hexen wad:
a Morte
ion7swp.png

Worlds collide in this extensive Hexen mod

Berlin, 1945. Things are heating up and Inside an old church a cabal of Nosferati begin opening portals, looking for another realm to evacuate to. Unfortunately for them they come across an arachnid-infested mausoleum, where a hero awakens...

Features:

2 hubs, each with 4 maps. 11 maps in total. 3rd hub in planning phase.
New Weapons: Revolver, MP 40, MG 42, Winchester, Charge-based variable shot Apotheosis, Panzerfaust, and a Scoped Mosin Nagant.
Custom Monsters: 4 types of spider, Nosferati, MP 40 wielding Nosferati, Crocodiles, Wehrmacht soldiers, SS soldiers with grenades, Panzer IIIs, T-34/85s, 3 types of Cultists (Frost magic, Revolver, Stabber), faster and more powerful versions of normal Hexen enemies, 'Caleb' Winchester sniper complete with voice acting, MG 42 Gunner, Rottweiler, and a few others who I wont spoil.
Custom Sound effects and Music for each level
Custom Textures, many from Blood, Outlaws and Realms of the Haunting. Some taken from real life images.
All Hexen weapons and items retained, mod is about the combination of traditional Hexen items and firearms.
Secrets
Full difficulty and class support, 4 player starts for co op play.
Swimmable deep water/lava/sewage
Fast paced gameplay, more emphasis on dangerous combats than puzzle solving, but still with some traditional hexen puzzles and the odd "what the hell did that switch do?" moment
Many scripted events and cross-map triggers, including a massive battle with ~20 tanks, buildings being destroyed, and multiple polyobject crushers with player-controlled timing.
Destroyable walls
Custom voice acting for Bosses and the player. Voice acting is much less frequent than Blood or Realms of the Haunting.
Tested on Zdoom and GZdoom with dynamic lights.
Realistic weapon magazine sizes and reload animations.
Enemies have to reload
Most maps designed to be wand-started for more challenging one-off missions
Although not set in WW2, each hub has access to WW2 technology through a map, allowing players to replenish ammunition at some stage during each hub.

zVWP0sH.png

SzoxMtr.png

Ypl2Xim.png

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c553asic25lf5iw/A+Morte_297.rar
Runs in Zdoom or GZDoom with the HEXEN.wad

I've been working on the 3rd hub, which is very S.T.A.L.K.E.R. influenced. I have the dialog system fully working, with a few NPCs to talk to and a couple of missions. 3rd hub is going to be a total change of pace from the first 2. More exploration and dialog, and atmospheric dangers. Also a bunch of new and unusual enemies. I'm having a lot of fun designing the levels and writing dialog.

lCvqFfH.png

It's a neat idea but I have no idea if the execution is any good.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
A Morte looks like a mish mash of about dozen 90s shooters. :D But, it looks interesting and it is not like we are getting much Hexen content to begin with...

tormund

Arcane
Daikatana is distant past, and he more than deserves another chance.
I just hope that his new game is going to have decent singleplayer. Singleplayer with actual level design instead of procedural generation or Painkiller style arena based design.

Astral Rag

Arcane
DTWID: The Lost Episodes

1IIeQ9t.png

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/megawads/dtwid-le

Whoop! Verison 1.666 (heh) of the Lost Episodes of DTWID has hit /idgames! For those who haven't seen it yet, it's a massive (6-episode!) vanilla-compatible collection of map submissions to Doom the Way Id Did, tweaked and reworked and kickassified. Don't think of this as just an "overflow pack" -- there are tons of super-solid maps here that may have not be the most id-like but still stand on their own as great maps. If you enjoyed DTWID and are itching for more, or if you like Classic Doom in the slightest, look no further!

JOtKagS.png

gcPqXrR.png

4XTlxFg.png

The maps arearranged in episodic form similar to DTWID, with E1, E2, and E3 once again serving as alternate-universe versions of Doom's original episodes. E4 is a bit of a mix, with some dedicated E4-style maps (thanks Cap'n Toenail!) intermingled with some hellish efforts to round out the roster.

Users of ZDoom or Eternity will find two additional episodes, "Base Instinct" and "The Final Gate", added to the roster. The former is a Phobos-Deimos hybrid episode that's also distributed as a separate wad (DTWID-E5.wad) replacing E1 for vanilla and other ports. The latter episode is a "Boss rush", showcasing the tons of submissions for boss maps that DTWID recieved (good golly gosh!). In its current state it will not work outside of ZDoom/Eternity since MAPINFO is required to make the boss specials work, though extracting the wads as individual maps will make 'em work in vanilla just fine provided the right map slot is assigned.

While 1.666 ought to be nice and stable (like its Doom counterpart version), there's no guarantee there won't be future updates. Stay tuned, perhaps!

Enjoy, folks!

:updatedmytxt:

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That thread fell off the front page. How could you let that happen? :rpgcodex:

I’ve finally been able to play some more Doom lately, mostly some classic (read “old”) maps. I guess that just the fullfilment of my desire to see how things evolve.

Aliens TC was some good tense fun. I liked some of the gimmicks, like the exploding aliens, and how the limited ammo made the baddies feel much more threatening despite the author’s parcimony — the most common enemy is a reskinned demon after all. The secret level was a bit of a pain and not very enjoyable, but the rest of the levels were quite atmospheric and had a sense of menace and dread I rarely saw in Doom. It got me thinking that Doom built part of its reputation on violence (which is quite tame compared to today’s standards, though still iconic) but also on its scary and dark elements, so its rather puzzling to see some people praise Brutal Doom as “the way Doom was always supposed to be” when it focuses only on one of its aspects and eschew the rest. Now, I don’t find Brutal Doom fun to play but I don’t mind if some find it enjoyable, and if anything it is only a sign of the enduring popularity of Doom. Yet it isn’t the only way to play Doom. It’s always been this mix of violence and action and darkness and atmosphere (through luck or talent or a mix of both) and that’s what appealed to so many over the years. To reduce it to only the violence is a discredit to what Doom means and how it captured the imagination of so many. Aliens TC highlits this other aspect of Doom and does it so well that it helped me see Doom in another light: that’s no small praise for a 1994 mod!

Then I played a few oldies. UAC_DEAD is that big classic that provides a short burst of fun but isn’t terribly inspiring. I can understand why it is considered a classic but a classic isn’t necessarily good, though in this case it certainly isn’t a bad map and it was fun while it lasted. I was more impressed by Galaxia, which turned out to be a surprisingly good hotchpotch of expansive level design, nice ambushes, weird textures, and a puzzling but catchy choice of music — the main map uses the theme of Wolfang Petersen’s Das Boot, of all things. If that doesn’t sound suspicious, you should know that the author did the classic rookie mistake of placing a boss monster in the very first room, in this case a Spiderdemon. Yet it makes sense within the story of the map and you are only supposed to avoid the beastie, and the whole turned out much better than I had expected/ I didn’t care much for the mazes, one of which has damaging floor and doesn’t appear on the map, but the rest was pretty cool with a fair bit of variety. Quite the surprise, I say. Then I played The Unholy Trinity, which looks quite cool and played decently. The gameplay is nothing special but nothing horrible either, but exploring the map was quite fun while it lasted, and it was short enough not to overstay its welcome. So far, so good!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom