Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
I ripped the weapons from the excellent Violence wad, dl link is on page 20

tormund

Arcane
Memoirs of Magic guy uploaded videos for the remaining classes. So far gunslinger one looks like it needs most work, since those dual revolvers look too weak, and their sound and animations just accentuate that...

tormund

Arcane
Not Doom related, but there is no thread for Duke 3D and eDuke mods around here and this looks too good not to mention.

Someone is making a eDuke TC based on DF & JK games. We will still be playing as Duke of course.:D

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn, the best of both worlds. Dark Forces is one of my favorite (well, it was the second doom-style game I ever beat) shooters ever.

I really would like a thread of the best Duke mods (did I ask that already?)

Riskbreaker

Yeah, that looks damn fine.

Kinda reminds me that we still don't have a decent Dark Forces or (even better) JK inspired gameplay mod. I've been looking for one back when I was playing trough excellent Doomed Space Wars - such a mod would be perfect for a replay of that particular wad. There was one, made by CeeJay and based on original Dark Forces, that was supposedly genuinely well-made and reasonably faithful to original it terms of weapon and enemy behavior. Unfortunately, it was made for 3DGE, and thus it was impossible to play it in conjunction with Doomed Space Wars.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I started to fiddle with gz doom and doom 2 and original wads, and downloaded one or 2 wads just to see if I can make it work.

I downloaded ZDL, a frontend, and I'm having trouble to have a good setup: I managed to make some wads work, but if I select to many, they play in a row. Also, gzdoom saves everything in the same directory/folder, is there a way to separate saves from diferent wads?

What's the best approach? Is there a simple way of loading missions/wads that would be like thief FMs (darkloader/garrettloader/FMloader)?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Well, I started to fiddle with gz doom and doom 2 and original wads, and downloaded one or 2 wads just to see if I can make it work.

I downloaded ZDL, a frontend, and I'm having trouble to have a good setup: I managed to make some wads work, but if I select to many, they play in a row. Also, gzdoom saves everything in the same directory/folder, is there a way to separate saves from diferent wads?

What's the best approach? Is there a simple way of loading missions/wads that would be like thief FMs (darkloader/garrettloader/FMloader)?

I like to use Doomseeker, this program makes it very easy to setup games. You can save your configurations which makes switching between playing SP and hosting cooperative games a breeze.

You can also use the program to download wads (Wadseeker) but I don't use that feature so I don't know how well it works.
86Zwr3O.png

Last edited:

I like to use Doomseeker, this program makes it very easy to setup games. You can save your configurations which makes switching between playing SP and hosting cooperative games a breeze.

You can also use the program to download wads (Wadseeker) but I don't use that feature so I don't know how well it works.
86Zwr3O.png

I doesn't work with GZdoom. Which supported source port is similar?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Zandronum, IIRC the OpenGL renderer is enabled by default (I always use the software renderer)

Maybe not relevant to you but for the sake of completeness, ZDoom and Odamex also play nice with Doomseeker.

There is also Doom Launcher which does work with GZDoom.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

There is more to it than that. For example, I genuinely like the look of banding in software renderers, which sadly isn't in any way emulated in OpenGL ones. Some loathe it, but I love what it does for lighting and atmosphere. Also, many a well-detailed map was crafted with that banding in mind, and as a result of that you won't get intended visuals and atmosphere with any of GZdoom's lighting modes.

Riskbreaker

Just played trough this map, I was pleasantly surprised by it considering that it came pretty much out of nowhere:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85334-gzqtest/
One largeish map for GZDoom that tries to emulate visuals of Q1's base maps. It looks pretty good, especially that open central area. Lots of practical, naturally used 3D geometry. Quite a bit of this map is set around or on platforms set upon (swimable) acid, so you'll need to exercise a bit more care while moving around.
Can be a bit annoying, due to abundance of hitscanners and somewhat strict health/ammo balance. My biggest gripe with it was the pitch dark section that leads to slipgate, which was anything but fun to get trough. Still, worth checking out. I do hope that he will go on with this, I wouldn't mind playing trough entire episode done in this style. He definitely need to work on the gameplay tho.
EED1882049A4FE02FE876D58158C1AC795BE4BCF

56CB82B76566EAAC2004C408B29C557CC4E39807

E1135823F68AE3E4CC2917A37BB79FAF04939C23

B9A587BF90F338F711594003CD0A723040311867

90B9DF72BF787DA42BB526A694B798B943FDBBF9

1E0972C86339BAE07C978805B5A1F673AA73C649

octavius

Arcane
Patron
(I always use the software renderer)

And play with keyboard only, yes yes...:smug:
Personally, no... But vertical aiming is heresy.

(unless I'm playing something that has been designed & balanced around mouselook and author is specific that his map should be played that way, then it's OK ;))

Even when I played the original Doom I thought it was a bit silly that you couldn't aim vertically.
Mouselook only makes the game even better IMO.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Not really...Build engine games, sure. But doom, dork farces and heretic should be keyboard only unless you're some sort of heathen.

Not really...Build engine games, sure. But doom, dork farces and heretic should be keyboard only unless you're some sort of heathen.

Dark forces 1 had vertical aiming.
if it does it's just larping, you hit anything centered unless I misrember.

well, sometimes you had to look up or down, since laser projectiles would go straight. Only slightly below and above didn't need pgup and pgdn to aim. Also, the game had crouching and jumping before doom, heretic and duke.

Riskbreaker

sometimes you had to look up or down, since laser projectiles would go straight.
Yeah, and this is evident basically at the very start of the game: in the first map, once you're outside the base you'll have buncha stormtroopers placed on significantly elevated area, and you pretty much need to look up in order to hit them.

By the way Darth Slaughter, you really like Monkey Island and Outlaws, right? You absolutely must play this:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pirates
Just download it and play it right now. You can thank me later.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Seconding this. Pirate Doom is amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom