Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good D&D artwork

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
KPg1khJ.jpg

Justin Sweet knows his shit. I'm not sure if picture below is actually from any of his D&D commissions, though.

EamGgkn.jpg

Lerk

Learned
I always loved Larry Elmore :oops:

I'm sure I don't need to link you anything by him, if you've not heard of him you're a faggot :codexisfor:

Servo

Arcane
I prefer the older D&D art so much over Pathfinder's comic book style. Makes me want to puke. Stuff like this:

28981a3247b72df86ebd08444ae7131a-d3e34k6.jpg

I mean, what exactly the fuck is this supposed to be? Is she shooting a bow on one foot? Perhaps while skipping?

This is so much better:

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
I prefer the older D&D art so much over Pathfinder's comic book style. Makes me want to puke. Stuff like this:

28981a3247b72df86ebd08444ae7131a-d3e34k6.jpg

I'm currently revisiting some of my old PnP stuff. I'm also getting to know about this Pathfinder thing (which, all considered, doesn't look bad honestly).
But the original D&D art really is the stuff of Legends.
Now, feel free to put me among the "nostalgic", whatever that means.
But I believe our take is the objective one: I'm sure the D&D craze REALLY started with the Red Box Basic Set.
Something clicked with the public here.

Just look at this Cleric portrayed by Elmore:

2uete7a.png

Colors aren't even needed.
Everything is perfect: her anatomy and proportions, her expression, the believable armor and equipment.
No over-the-topness, no nonsense.
This woman is a product of her environment and she feels alive: the image makes you wonder who she really is, what her life is like, what is going to happen to her.
In a word, it has true evocative power and sucks you into the fantasy world.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I recently watched Spoony's reaction to the new DnD (horribly long and boring, but..) and he pointed out how he liked some of the artwork and how other pieces didn't fit with the ones he liked.

And yep, almost all of the good ones were by Kieran Yanner (a great guy, did the wallpaper for Pillars of Eternity and some of the early awesomely cool stuff for Numenera), who tried hard to achieve a fine art look, with a clear nod to the oldschool aesthetic.

Goblin-battle-5e.jpg
tumblr_na7nqzZcog1s0rfuqo1_1280.jpg

This is not DnD, but the colours are super "oldschool".

tumblr_mbvaneAEdY1r15y4io1_1280.jpg

(+ a piece he did for Pathfinder, which is amazing and not at all cartoony as their style tends to go towards)
tumblr_ltdo3902FY1r3sy6wo1_1280.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
preview001.png

I always loved this. I don't know who the artists is though.

EDIT: Updated the image from the book it comes from. <3

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah. I knew that was the cover for the Game Strahd's possession, I didn't know that was from one of the core books. Apparently I missed that one.

nikolokolus

Arcane
How hard was (is?) Erol Otus "tripping balls" back in the 70s and 80s (and 90s, 00s, 10s)?

troll_FF.jpg

Otus_GW_4_web.jpg

Erol-Otus-Shub-Niggurath-DDG.jpg
eroloelfking.jpg
Otus_Cthulhu.jpg
DCCRPG-EO-2.jpg
ErolOtus-Lolth.jpg
tumblr_m06bgdvPL41ro2bqto1_500.jpg
DCC10-0.jpg

Adimittedly, I kind of hated his stuff when I was first exposed to D&D in the late 80s (height of the Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore era for TSR) but in my late thirties I find his psychedelic feel to be just about pitch perfect.

mastroego

Arcane
demi-humans-by-Larry-Elmore.jpg

My favorite illustration from the Mentzer Red Box.

I wanted to post this one as well.

The gentle and amused half-elf (looks like a half-elven ranger to me), the clumsy, slightly embarrassed dwarf, the halfling talking about him.
And again, only believable equipment, just the stuff these persons would realistically carry around with them all the time.
So many things perfectly captured in a simple image!
Some artists really have it in them.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Another one. I'm clearly a huge fan of the art from the AD&D era. Best depiction of the Magic Mouth spell that I've ever seen.

magic-mouth1.jpg

There's something about this art that makes me immediately think Dungeons & Dragons. Some of it's nostalgia, but a lot of it has to do with how it's dark and gritty instead of bright and colorful. The dungeons look dank and dangerous. You can practically smell the wet stone and hear the clatter of armor echoing through the corridors. The modern D&D art doesn't always capture the same feeling, since the focus has mostly moved away from underground exploration.

Khor1255

Arcane
It kind of almost looks like woodcut art. This might have a lot to do with it being printed cheaply.

To me it feels more 'genuine' than art of the Draw Comics the Marvel Way type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom