Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Commodore 64 RPGs

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Do they exist?

If so, which ones?

ever

Scholar
I don't think there are any "exclusives" i.e not on DOS as well.

I'm sure many people will be able to prove that statement wrong, but probably now with a good RPG.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
Do they exist?

If so, which ones?
Seriously? All of the -80s classic RPGs have C64 versions.

As for C64 only RPGs I don't think there are (m)any. Most of the stuff released then was ported to/from Apple ][, and later DOS.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Is there a C64 version that was dramatically different from the other versions, all the same?

Flatlander

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
Is there a C64 version that was dramatically different from the other versions, all the same?
Well, I'd say that Ultima VI was dramatically different from the other versions :smug:

In general the C64 versions were superior to Apple ones in every way, and earlier games were sound & graphics wise better than the DOS versions. DOS versions are faster and generally more convenient to play though, not so much disk swapping and loading. Personally I always go with the DOS versions even if the C64 has a high nostalgia factor to me.

Flatlander

Liturgist

Flatlander

Liturgist
octavius said:
Flatlander said:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/centauri-alliance in the Apple/C64 only category seems interesting. Anybody played it?

Not me, but weird that a game released in 1990 would be released for Apple II and C64 only.
Might have something to do with that Broderbund didn't have much original RPG productions and Centauri Alliance was Michael Cranfords last game. Maybe he had it lying in his drawer a few years, sold it to Broderbund and took off. In addition the game probably didn't sell well and so there weren't any ports or sequels made.

The combat system seems interesting, looks like there is some tactical maneuvering involved.

DaveO

Erudite
Wizard's Crown, Eternal Dagger, and the SSI Phantasie games. That's five already, so you'll be busy for a while. Luzur with his MASSIVE collection could probably tell you of other games on the platform worth playing.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Few more notable non-exclusive C64 RPGs; Wasteland, Bard's Tales (though they suck), Might & Magic I-II, Ultimas up to V (VI is not very playable on the old C64), all or most of the Gold Box games, Dragon Wars.

And you shouldn't forget the original Laser Squad, it is not an RPG but excellent tactical turn based game and IMNHO the C64 version is the best one. Lords of Chaos is another tactical game from Gollop bros but this time in a fantasy setting, again the C64 version is excellent.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Are you talking about playing on an actual C64 or just using an emulator?

If you're thinking about playing on an actual C64, I would highly, highly advise against it. The loading times on many games are just excruciating. I laugh whenever I see complaints about load times in a modern game because you have no idea what bad load times are until you've sat waiting five minutes for a C64 game to load. And then had to wait another five minutes when you enter a dungeon. And then wait another five minutes when you come back out. And another five minutes when you enter a town.

I doubt I would have read nearly as many books as I have if I didn't always keep one near my C64 to pass the time while games were loading.

MMXI

Arcane
I don't really see the point of this thread if it's about games that were released on the C64. Lots of them were. If this thread is about games exclusive to the C64, or even games that were best on the C64, then I can see its point.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Yeah. The loading times and disk swapping on a C64 was just ridiculous. Some games were fairly painless, like Ultima IV. Ultima V worked about fine until you hit the dungeons. Then it got insane.

The problem is that even with emulators these problems still exists. Even with the emulator's turbo loaders the loading still takes some time and the turbos don't even work with all the games.

Flatlander

Liturgist
MMXI said:
I don't really see the point of this thread if it's about games that were released on the C64. Lots of them were. If this thread is about games exclusive to the C64, or even games that were best on the C64, then I can see its point.
Discussion of games that were exclusive to the 6502 family (Apple, Atari, C64 etc.) or 8 bits in general might be interesting. I'm sure there are some interesting gems that most gentlemen aren't aware of.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Centauri Alliance is fun. Been playing it on and off lately and I'd definitely recommend it. I wouldn't say the combat is extremely tactical, but it's quite decent, really, better than in many other role-playing games, and a party of 8 is definitely an incline over parties of 4 or 6. The only major problem is bad balance, with many character development options being sub-par or useless. cRPGs, duh.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Flatlander said:
Few more notable non-exclusive C64 RPGs; Wasteland, Bard's Tales (though they suck), Might & Magic I-II, Ultimas up to V (VI is not very playable on the old C64), all or most of the Gold Box games, Dragon Wars.
The Bard's Tale games for the C64 were great, and had a unique flavor and atmosphere all their own. They did not age well, because rpgs are made for fat, lazy, non-mapping slobs who want everything done for them in real time. How could the Bard's Tale HOPE to age well in the world we live in?! You know what really sucks? Might and Magic I, that sucks. Man, I am happy I said that, it's liberating!

It came out a year AFTER The Bard's Tale, had shit graphics, leveled encounters, barely any sound, and the only save system worse than The Bard's Tale.

sirfink

Scholar
Ebonsword said:
Are you talking about playing on an actual C64 or just using an emulator?

If you're thinking about playing on an actual C64, I would highly, highly advise against it. The loading times on many games are just excruciating. I laugh whenever I see complaints about load times in a modern game because you have no idea what bad load times are until you've sat waiting five minutes for a C64 game to load. And then had to wait another five minutes when you enter a dungeon. And then wait another five minutes when you come back out. And another five minutes when you enter a town.

I doubt I would have read nearly as many books as I have if I didn't always keep one near my C64 to pass the time while games were loading.

And that's assuming you had a disk drive (which were $400 as I recall). Cassette? Forget about it!

And if you're going to play Wizard's Crown and/or Eternal Dagger, I think the Atari 800 versions were better. Heck, there was an Atari ST version of Wizard's Crown which was probably the best version of all.

Luzur

Good Sir
so, RPG's only for C64?

theres Newcomer, which i believe is only C64.

And if you're going to play Wizard's Crown and/or Eternal Dagger, I think the Atari 800 versions were better. Heck, there was an Atari ST version of Wizard's Crown which was probably the best version of all.

there was an Amiga version planned (and coded, abit) but it was abandoned.

Lunac

Arcane
800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Daemongar said:
The Bard's Tale games for the C64 were great, and had a unique flavor and atmosphere all their own. They did not age well, because rpgs are made for fat, lazy, non-mapping slobs who want everything done for them in real time. How could the Bard's Tale HOPE to age well in the world we live in?! You know what really sucks? Might and Magic I, that sucks. Man, I am happy I said that, it's liberating!

It came out a year AFTER The Bard's Tale, had shit graphics, leveled encounters, barely any sound, and the only save system worse than The Bard's Tale.

Heh, I've recently replayed them both and I enjoyed MM1 more than I did Bard's Tale. Sure, MM1 graphics are poorer and there is some level scaling, but at least MM1 does not check for random encounters in real time. That was what really ruined the BT for me. BT was also quite unbalanced. The start was hard, then most of the game was too easy and the endgame became a matter of pure luck. If you ran into certain monsters in Mangar's Tower you had no chance whatosoever 'cause they would fry your party before you even got the chance to cast a spell. MM1 OTOH remained a constant challenge all the way.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Lunac said:

Many good and unique games made for the ZX Spectrum, but most of them I fiind unplayable today. Not because of the poor graphics but becuase of an extremely clunky UI.
Games like Tir Na Nog, Dun Darach and Lords of Midnight are still playable, though, but the best CRPG I played on the Spectrum as a kid - Heavy on the Magick - is too frustrating for me to play nowadays.

Flatlander

Liturgist
lisac2k said:
Funny, no Space Rogue on that list. Maybe because it had only some RPG elements mixed with other genres. Anyway, I would recommend it.
Space Rogue is fucking great, I didn't mention it in my own list because it isn't exactly an RPG. I'd go with the DOS version though. It was a bit too heavy game for the tiny C64, with the filled polygon graphics and other next gen goodness. There were also some 5 minute loading pauses sprinkled in most annoying places. Luckily I had the Final Cartridge with turboloader which fixed the issue :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, most of the good ones were also available on PC so can't really peg down many good C64 'exclusives.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom