Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what everyone ended up buying during the sale?

Stronghold HD
Albion
Deponia 2 & 3 (I already had/beat 1)
Chains of Satinav and Memoria

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Albion, since I played the pirated version back in the day. Loved the game, but never finished it, so I want to have a working copy if I get a sudden urge to play it again (and I am not going back to seven seas ever again).

Venser

Erudite
I only bought Primordia and Clive Barker's Undying and was gifted Riddick. This time I actually went for games I intend to play right now instead for games that would sit in my library for a while. Feels good.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So what everyone ended up buying during the sale?

Way too much...

Jagged Alliance 2 UB
Stonekeep
Master of Orion 1+2
Dragon Wars
Icewind Dale Enhanced
Paper Sorcerer
Space Rangers HD
Anno Collection
FEAR
Albion
Primordia
Trine
Invisible+DLC
Ultima Collection
Elder Scrolls Collection (I basically just wanted Morrorwind GOTY and the fucking whole collection cost like 14 cent more)
Act of War

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Way too much...

Jagged Alliance 2 UB
Stonekeep
Master of Orion 1+2
Dragon Wars
Icewind Dale Enhanced
Paper Sorcerer
Space Rangers HD
Anno Collection
FEAR
Albion
Primordia
Trine
Invisible+DLC
Ultima Collection
Elder Scrolls Collection (I basically just wanted Morrorwind GOTY and the fucking whole collection cost like 14 cent more)
Act of War

Nice haul. Now the most pertinent question - what will you be playing from that list soon?

Old One

Arcane
Saint's Row The Third
The King's Bounty bundle, minus the first one, which I already own
Dead State Reanimated
Legend of Grimrock 2

thus unlocking

System Shock 2, which I gave to a friend as I already own it
Riddick Assault on Dark Athena
Banished

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Icewind Dale: EE
BG: EE
BG2: EE
Albion
Silver
Ys VI: Ark of the Napishtim

Was mildly curious how good/bad the EEs actually are and getting all 3 for the regular price of one seemed not too bad. Besides, what if that interquel turns out to be decent?

Otherwise, was interested in Albion and Silver and threw in Ys VI because my OCD compelled me to unlock Banished even though I will almost certainly never play it. ... because I'm a moron and bad with money.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also got System Shock and Riddick but now I dont know where those codes are to reedem Riddick and gift the SS2 code

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, if you already went to the redeem page before, you could always go to your history and use that link. It's what I did.

If not, well, you might be boned. Maybe contact support?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, I wanted to replay Ishar 1.
I haven't played any Tex Murphy title. Is there one episode particularly worth playing and/or is it better to play the entire series in the right order?

EDIT : they just released Galactic Civilizations 2 and Galactic Civilizations 3.According to the Codex you shouldn't waste your time on this one.
They also released added Valhalla hills for preorder which looks like a mobile management game with randomly generated levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I haven't played any Tex Murphy title. Is there one episode particularly worth playing and/or is it better to play the entire series in the right order?
They're all good to great and they're all worth playing. Overseer is a remake of Mean Streets but I always recommend playing MS anyway because it's one of the most original adventure games out there, with required note-taking and a true feeling that you're conducting an investigation and trying to figure out what's going on. It's very nonlinear with a ton of red herrings.

Anyway took me a while but I found a post where I gave a quick rundown of each of the games.

Quick rundown:

Mean Streets: flawed and a bit of a mess, but there's a good game in there. It has a stupid action minigame (obligatory) and a boring flying minigame (optional, using the Eschelon engine). Aside from that it's a good little game with an interesting plot, one of the few investigation games that manage to have a LOT of red herrings (some of which you can follow for a while). It's also extremely nonlinear.

Martian Memorandum: awesome game. VERY good story, good puzzles but very unforgiving. There ARE hints when you mess up, but if you miss the hint you can get yourself completely stuck. More linear and tightly structured than MS. Has some annoying trial-and-error bits and the occasional place where timing is important, but the rest of the game is so good it's worth putting up with the annoyances.

Under a Killing Moon: tons of potential, mostly fail. Poor writing, really bad acting, lots of visual glitching due to superimposition of video and 3D backgrounds, pretty boring puzzles (including a LOT of trial-and-error), average story. All in all the weakest Tex Murphy game.

The Pandora Directive: pure awesome. This is what UKM should've been. Great writing, mostly good acting, good to great puzzles, somewhat linear (depends on the chapters), pretty long, overall story is meh but some of the details are excellent (eg tracking down the Black Arrow Killer, getting away from the "terror" in the secret base). Great atmosphere, captures Noir almost perfectly. It's the best Tex game and probably the only good thing to come out of FMV: it's one of the few games that manage to use FMV and still be a real game. Oh yeah, and it has lots of C&C - emphasis on the Consequences.

Overseer: basically a remake/reimagining of Mean Streets. Same basic plot, some of the details are changed, got rid of all the extra stuff and red herrings, uses similar gameplay to UKM/Pandora. YMMV. I find it not as good as MS, as it removed some of the things that made MS special, but the game feels much tighter too. Oh, and it has Michael York being awesome in a wheelchair.

Good series all in all, with a couple of excellent highlights.

If you want the full storyfag experience you definitely don't want to play Tesla Effect or even read about its plot before playing Overseer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sceptic My heretical opinion is that Pandora is overrated. Why? Because it wastes the game's future/post-nuclear setting. Pandora really wanted to be a 90s X-Files game about aliens and government conspiracies, and that meant that things like the setting's human-mutant relations fell completely by the wayside.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well every game other than UKM (where it was tied to the main plot) wasted the post-nuke and mutant/normal conflict. The mutant stuff was always just there in the background, to show off makeup capability because Mean Streets was IIRC the first VGA game to use digitized graphics and actors. As for the setting it was never "pure" post-apoc, in fact it's almost purely a Film Noir setting, except moved into a post-apoc environment for lulz (that it kinda works is actually surprising IMO). I thought TPD mixed its various atmospheric bits (Noir, X-Files, Ohmygod what's-this-lurking-in-the-base, lulz, and so on) really well, in fact atmosphere-wise it and Tesla Effect are my favourites because they mix lulz and serious so well, especially compared to UKM, which tried but failed (though I also love the darker atmospheres in MS, MM and Overseer).

In any case, this really only applies to setting. In terms of pure gameplay I don't think you could really make an argument for any of the other games being better than TPD (though I would be interested in such an argument, but then I'm biased and consider TPD to be not just the best Tex game, or the best FMV game, but simply one of the best adventure games I've played).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the mutants in the older games were in the background, but in TPD they were barely there at all. The setting also had cyberpunk elements like megacorporations, which also disappeared in favor of the 90s all-powerful government conspiracy narrative.

It doesn't help that we can all name a very famous game that did much the same thing years later without completely ridding itself of those fun futuristic elements - Deus Ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom