Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Cazzeris

Anything about GOG Galaxy for now. They've given some information on how GOG is going to expand itself, like their interest on emulation (maybe System Shock 1 and amiga stuff) and some PR talk on why Japanese publishers are so conservative that they cannot into PC's. Also, Nordic Games isn't interested in putting their games back on the store.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got into it, not sure if there's a NDA or something but I'll post impressions later.

I think it's buckled with the game since there doesn't seem to be any client.

EDIT: Yup, just opened it and I got this:
KIPEWBe.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
P.S. GOG is shit and Gaben is the only true path to redemption.
I am so sorry! It wasn't my intention to insult or annoy you. I had no idea its taken since there wasn't any any warning like "Property of Bruticis. Do not fucking touch!"
As for GOG I prefer drm free games. If steam could combine it with its convenience (or the other way around) it would be truly path to redemption.
GOG games aren't DRM free as they require an initial login to get your games. If you lose your password and some chiense gangsters hacked your email, you wouldn't be able to get your games. DRM free my arse.

You mean you're some retard that don't download the games you buy?

Bruticis

That's the exact same stupid gog "galaxy client" they used for the shitty witcher boardgame crap. Color me shocked that GOG is completely inept at something.

Grim Monk

Arcane

Sadly you won't able to:
http://af.gog.com/forum/aliens_vers...mods_being_disabled_by_launcher?as=1649904300

Galaxy's "Verify Integrity" feature detects any changes, deletes them, and reverts the game to vanilla...

Some questions for JudasIscariot

1. Will it now be mandatory to sign into GOG Galaxy "integrated client" to play games?

2. Will people still be able to get a plain old Installer for their game to backup, play, and reinstall when ever they want?

3. Will patches (or updated version of Installers) be available for manual download, or will we now be completely reliant on auto-updates from "Galaxy".

And Finally.

4. I came across this http://af.gog.com/forum/aliens_vers...s_avp_monitoring_on_my_computer?as=1649904300
To what extent, and how closely will the Galaxy client monitor our activities.

What controls will we have over our personal privacy setting with regards to the program.
(And options to "opt-out" of features we regard as too intrusive.)

Last edited:

pippin

gog intended to replace the downloader with the client. don't know if this is a definitive replacement, though.
the integrity thingy seems to be pretty bad indeed. will it be something like valve's anti cheating system?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

1. Will it now be mandatory to sign into GOG Galaxy "integrated client" to play games?

2. Will people still be able to get a plain old Installer for their game to backup, play, and reinstall when ever they want?

3. Will patches (or updated version of Installers) be available for manual download, or will we now be completely reliant on auto-updates from "Galaxy".
)
1) Hell no
2) Yes
3) Yes.

They said it in the beginning that Galaxy will be totally optional. The worst thing that can happen is that you won't get automatic updates and will be harder to play multiplayer.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Will people still be able to get a plain old Installer for their game to backup, play, and reinstall when ever they want?
I was wondering what it would take for me to actually download and back up all GOG.com installers on my hard drive and back-up hard drive. I guess I know now.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I still haven't gotten my AvP. :? Well, after reading this shit it's not that much of a loss.

DaveO

Erudite
Will people still be able to get a plain old Installer for their game to backup, play, and reinstall when ever they want?
I was wondering what it would take for me to actually download and back up all GOG.com installers on my hard drive and back-up hard drive. I guess I know now.

I find it dubious at best to trust ANY digital distribution site. I've always made copies on external media for any digital games I buy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I received my AvP code today. Although I could only check the game out for a few minutes, it was great. I never played the first one, only AvP 2. Well this is also amazing. Damn, that atmosphere, it pumped my heart like a bitch.

And I'm already loving Galaxy. You know those oldschool games which you can't play in multiplayer, because there are no servers and more? And good luck doing it with hamachi or any similar crap (they are a pain in the ass). Now it is like your are back in 1999, you just enter the multiplayer menu and connect in an instant.

Perkel

Arcane
i installed AvP expecting to not live up to my memories.

It is fucking better than 99% FPS out there.

It is ssssoooo fucking good to run around with mach3 speed and bite of people heads. But i am rusty as fuck now. I remember that i did every subquest of every mission in avp and some of those missions required you to do some really hard stuff like run past whole level killing everybody under 3 minutes.

Grim Monk

Arcane

)
1) Hell no
2) Yes
3) Yes.

They said it in the beginning that Galaxy will be totally optional. The worst thing that can happen is that you won't get automatic updates and will be harder to play multiplayer.

Hopefully you are right, but I'd like to have it confirmed by a GOG representative.

Having a DRM free installer is vital to be truly "DRM-free game distributor".

The availability of Patches is also non-negotiable.

For an concrete example:
I bough a DRM-free game from the "Humble Bundle Store".
The developer has since released a couple of new versions fixing bugs.
"Humble" has provided neither a new version to re-install, nor patch files to update the game.
Thus I'm now weary about buying any new games from "Humble".

GOG thus far has dealt with this admirably.
Both patches, and updated versions are downloadable from my "Game Shelf".

This customer friendly policy I respect and it's reason for my ongoing support.

Hopefully JudasIscariot can confirm that this will continue.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
yeah if new games would be available only via their client ton of people would be butthurt even if client has OFFLINE button.

ehh fucking avp multi is sooo great.

BelisariuS.F

Augur

)
1) Hell no
2) Yes
3) Yes.

Hopefully you are right, but I'd like to have it confirmed by a GOG representative.

Grim Monk

Arcane

Hopefully they will live up to it and release a "decoupled" version AVP when its no longer used for testing.

The fact that its apparently "required to have the client open and logged in to even play the game" really struck the wrong note.

Also with regards "Cross-Play", they may well get in trouble with Multiplayers who have "illegal" Copies.
They may get pressured by publishers, who may be nasty about them being "enablers"...

Also "Anti-Cheating" may be a problem.
It on one hand a requirement for many people, yet has a lot of pitfalls.
(All AWP Mods being auto-deleted is a current example.)

A solution is to allow people to separately play "modded versions", and allow them to form dedicated "groups" and "self-moderate".

That way you have communities set up around various Mods, yet prevent "vanilla mainstream" people from being swamped with "hackers" and "cheaters".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom