Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Godus Wars

Lucky

Arcane
Molyneux and 22cans proudly present Godus Wars, the new strategy spin-off to the kickstarter success Godus and available now on early access! Godus Wars promises to bring you a refinement of features originally promised to be in Godus, but which turned out to not be feasible within the intended scope of the game. Now, to give these ideas the attention they deserve and Molyneux's vision room to shine, 22cans has launched Godus Wars.
Get it now and you get Godus for free!! Own Godus already? Then you get Godus Wars for free!!

To quote the master:
What is Godus Wars? - A Message from Peter Molyneux
LWj7xO3.jpg

"To answer the question, “What is Godus Wars?” You have to take a step back and look back at the very start of our Kickstarter campaign - where we stated that we wanted to reinvent the god game. What were were taking on was this massive task of developing a game for PC and Mobile platforms. Those are completely different audiences with different likes, dislikes and different mechanisms."

"In 2015, We had taken the mobile build as far as we wanted to take it at that particular point. The mobile build has been successful, editor picked and downloaded millions of times and had over 250,000 4 star or higher reviews."

"When we wind back to the PC version, it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination a PC game and thats where we started - What is Godus and what should it be come?"

"We’ve always loved the landscape forming, changing and sculpting but quickly realised that it’s slightly more uncomfortable to do a lot of sculpting with a mouse. Really what it lacked was brutality, was war, was the ability to take on challenge and use your god powers and sculpting powers to fight, war and battle. And that’s where our initial concept of Wars started."

"We said this simple thing - “Why don't we change Godus into a RTS style game with God-game capabilities and landscape modification, a RTS game with a huge amount of variation and power, the ability to approach each battle in a different way?”

3AA3VpX.jpg

"We sat down and said if we’re going to make an RTS game in Godus and do it right - What are we going to have to do? Yes, we could create battles on Godus landscape and yes the landscape modification could be wonderful, you could create your own landscapes, turrets and use followers strategically - but there were a few things that really got in way. "

"One of those examples, which our Godus PC community had been crying out about for a long time, was the nature that you collected your belief - that didn't really fit within a RTS game. Our aim was to make each battle an intensive 20 minutes - not 2 hours or 10 hours but 20 minutes. So we did the logical thing, we make the collection of belief completely automatic - so the player could concentrate on the troops."

"We also had this idea of making it far more fluid and far more focused on battles rather than focused on belief and spreading people. We created a completely new GUI which was more orientated towards troops and battling. It has the ability to group troops together and mix troop type together was at the centre of our thoughts."

"That was the core of what became Godus Wars - but that wasn't enough. What we need was motivation. What would would motivate me, as a player to move from land to land to land? "

"In fact, we wanted to create hundreds lands, we wanted to give the player an entire world to conquer. Split up into continents, each continent having different maps. To do that, to get players to play hundreds levels you have to worry about their motivation."

"We’ve centred on is the ability to become more and more powerful and with it - giving the player more flexibility. We’ve brought over cards from Godus but in a completely different way. These cards can be extremely strategic; there are cards that’ll buff your troops, there are cards increase the speed, attack, range and even introduce stealth."

"Finding a level it too difficult? There’s a probably card for that. All of these cards you can collect together and by the end of hundreds of levels I imagine players will have hundreds of these cards to use. We’re incredibly proud of the card system."

Z68ysFF.jpg

"You’re also going to need an opponent. You really need the concept of fighting against someone. We introduced opposing deities. and these deities control continents and they’ll take lands as you take lands. It really feels like you’re fighting against them; when you pick cards, they pick cards - they modify your strategy according to you. Now this starts to feel like what it truly should be, this real threat this real challenge a real purpose. "

"What we’ve ended up with is a true mix of a god game and a RTS with the ability to build your own deck of powers and buffs."

"We’ve got all sorts of surprises in the game. Try playing around with the globe. See what happens.We really wanted to make this brutal, we wanted to make it funny and we wanted to make it exciting. I feel we’ve really done that and I can’t wait to see what the community thinks."

Also, check out the glowing reviews and comments from our community!

"This is ... a ... spectacularly ... action packed continuation"

"Godus is ... a good PC game"

"Cue vitriolic bile and rampant, knuckle-whitening hate. Personally though, I really like Godus and I’m glad they’re still working on the whole thing."

"I am a volunteer moderator for 22Cans. All statements in the following review are my own opinions."

Lucky

Arcane
That would be Godus, the original sim title that spawned this legitimately strategic spin off. It's easy to mistake them because of the telltale sign of the Molyneux touch, but they are still separate games in separate genre's. Think of it like World of Warcraft and Warcraft I/II/III.

Lucky

Arcane
Jokes aside, I've played this a bit to help my friend with work and the game is really bad. Not even fun bad, but the dull and obnoxious kind.

Gameplay is shit. Just shit. Simplistic, boring, repetitive and in no way tactical or strategic. It's dire even by mobile gaming standards. All you do is build buildings, recruit dudes and then kill the enemy. There are no real choices in build order or unit creation. All you do is build, recruit, kill, build, recruit, kill, build, recruit, kill, until you beat the game. Your godly powers’ main purpose is to sculpt the land so that you can build houses, to recruit dudes and kill the enemy. Your cards are employed when your houses generate enough belief to use them and for some reason haven’t built, recruited and killed the enemy to death – or you can destroy trees and rocks to speed things along, because that also generates belief for some reason.

Should be no surprise then that the game is laughably easy even by current standards. There is not even the remotest shred of a challenge and I’ve expended more attention on typing this out than I did during any point of playing the game. There are simple no strategic or tactical elements to the combat, which is almost a mercy since the pathfinding of your troops is shit, too, so trying anything too complex is a waste of time.

Visually it looks like a bad educational game with matching UI. It’s cluttered with oversized icons, the mouse controls are unresponsive and hotkeys are absent. If the game crashes the enemy gets a free win and it crashes quite a bit. Weird screen changes whenever you start a game, which also has a propensity to crash the game or distort the menu map.

So in case it wasn’t obvious, don’t get this game. Don’t even play it if you get it for free because there is no fun to be had here. It’s not even suitable if you have absolutely nothing else to do because there’s so little to do in the game itself. Anyone who tells you they enjoyed this is either a desperate shill or a depressed developer. It makes me feel sorry for everyone stuck at 22Cans who have spent time and effort on a résumé killer.

Seems like a misguided use of Kickstarter. Kickstarter is terrible for consumers, and I think they know it - they're giving money for something that might not materialise at all, let alone in the form that they're hoping for. If pre-ordering is idiotic, pledging is idiocy manifold. BUT people justifiably pledge when they're so desperate for games of a particular type, that they're willing to actively prostrate themselves and bear the risk if that's what's needed to make the game happen.

Which means that the kind of projects that do well with publishers will be the total opposite of those that do well with kickstarter. It's why Hepler's kickstarter (ok, not 'hers', but the one marketed heavily on having her onboard) tanked - why would people take the extraordinary step of bearing the risk on a product that's of the same kind as that which gets funded by publishers anyway?

For the same reason, I don't see why people would pledge for a scaled down version of a RTS/god-game. A scaled up one, with ideas that are too risky for publishers, sure, but not a scaled down one that's getting ported from android.

It's a pity, because god-games are the one type of Molyneux product that I'd still pay attention to. Not necessarily that I'd get excited about it, or buy it, but I'd pay attention to it, because they've got greater potential to synch well with his 'crazy-homeless-man' latter day design style.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Isn't this the same game? Seems to me they just removed Godus from the steam store and re-released it to get rid of all the negative feedback (this seems to be a common tactic employed these days), not that it'll do them much good since peoplle will just thrash it again like the piece of shit game that it is.

Lucky

Arcane
Seems like a misguided use of Kickstarter. Kickstarter is terrible for consumers, and I think they know it - they're giving money for something that might not materialise at all, let alone in the form that they're hoping for. If pre-ordering is idiotic, pledging is idiocy manifold. BUT people justifiably pledge when they're so desperate for games of a particular type, that they're willing to actively prostrate themselves and bear the risk if that's what's needed to make the game happen.

Which means that the kind of projects that do well with publishers will be the total opposite of those that do well with kickstarter. It's why Hepler's kickstarter (ok, not 'hers', but the one marketed heavily on having her onboard) tanked - why would people take the extraordinary step of bearing the risk on a product that's of the same kind as that which gets funded by publishers anyway?

For the same reason, I don't see why people would pledge for a scaled down version of a RTS/god-game. A scaled up one, with ideas that are too risky for publishers, sure, but not a scaled down one that's getting ported from android.

It's a pity, because god-games are the one type of Molyneux product that I'd still pay attention to. Not necessarily that I'd get excited about it, or buy it, but I'd pay attention to it, because they've got greater potential to synch well with his 'crazy-homeless-man' latter day design style.

Kickstarters are terrible for consumers when they pledge with the assumption of a guaranteed product. In practice, a healthier attitude is to view it as patronage to artists with the added promise that the backer receives the end result upon success and to spend accordingly. The key then is distinguishing between the people that genuinely need the money to realise their ambitions and the frauds who are only interested because there’s money to be made. Personally, I feel like kickstarter projects should be able to fail as long as the intent is genuine and not wasted. That’s part of the risk of creative projects and without which you never get truly ambitious games that try something at which they might not succeed. Weeding out the artists from the frauds should be the responsibility of journalists, which is why it’s odd how reports on especially smaller projects have petered out.

Isn't this the same game? Seems to me they just removed Godus from the steam store and re-released it to get rid of all the negative feedback (this seems to be a common tactic employed these days), not that it'll do them much good since people will just thrash it again like the piece of shit game that it is.

It technically isn’t. Godus owners get Godus Wars and Godus Wars owners get Godus, but Molyneux claims that it a separate game meant to focus more on strategy and that he always envisioned Godus as two separate games. This makes sense taking into account that promises were previously made that the PC Godus would never have microtransactions. Therefore if this is a separate, but related, game then they can put microtransactions in without technically lying while at the same time being able to say that they’re still fulfilling their kickstarter obligations, because aspects of this will be integrated into Godus. Which they subsequently did, as the game had, now removed, day 1 DLC where you had to pay to unlock the second island upon completing the first.
Keep in mind that there are supposed to be seven islands in total, it costing 4,99 to unlock the second island, so assuming the pattern holds then the eventual complete game would have cost 44,93 while presenting itself as costing 14,99. Oh, and no refunds on those DLC purchases. It’s all very sleazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom