Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gary Grigsby's War In The East

The game is great and quite addictive, unless you are the type of player who insists on seeing little tanks and trucks and can't bear looking at nato symbols.

I bought it at 75% off back on Black Friday, plus one of its expansions. Now it's discounted again during the Christmas sale, and I got it's twin - War in the West which contains some notable improvements to air units' rules.

I've been playing the tutorial, The Road to Minsk, The Road to Leningrad, and I want to check out The Road to Kiev before I give the grand campaign a try. If I get off my lazy ass I'll write an illustrated LP in the Codex Playground covering The Road to Leningrad.

Edit: Joined on the 4th of July , you need to take the northern port town hex near the Finnish no attack line in order to cut supply for Leningrad. Until then they are still being supplied even though you have cut all the railways.

have you seen this 246 page step by step tutorial that uses road to Leningrad?

https://depositfiles.com/files/a44nokir2

I have not used it, only read the first 10 pages or so, but people really seem to think it is good.

BTW, I have not bought War in the West yet mostly because I feel like I will never even finish the grand campaign in War in the East. What do you think of it in comparison to the East title? I have heard some people that feel the air system is too much. They said it felt like the Battle of Britain/Bombing the Reich game he released like 20-25 years ago, which was an incredibly detailed and long game just by itself.

Supposedly they are going to (or have even already started perhaps) making a full War in Europe game using the two already released games as the basis and adding whatever else on top...

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had this pdf downloaded after having finished The Road to Leningrad, but haven't read it yet. I wonder if it will be useful with some explanation and examples of how reinforcements and supply works.

I just bought War in he West so I haven't played it yet. From what I saw in youtube LPs it looks mostly the same. They have added some additional graphics for division emblems, besides expanding aerial combat and bombing mechanics. Other than that, I guess it will feature some custom rules to represent the conditions on the western front.

I think step by step tutorials for this type of game are very useful. One of the major barriers to games like this is that they are daunting for people to learn- especially people who were not around playing games back in early 90's.

Rasputitsa is here and everything is a bit more brown now. Offensives seem to be impossible and supply lines have to be much shorter.

All the ports have been captured on Ladoga's eastern shore as recommended by General AwesomeButton. As an additional surprise I got to bring the Finns south of Svir even though Leningrad isn't captured yet. No attack line is literally just that: no attacks.

In the south my eyebrow-raising penetrations have led to some modest encirclements, but mostly it has just been straightening the front and shortening the supply lines where possible. In (northern) Ukraine there's no actual front, because both sides have been pulling back.

bqKYyp9.jpg

Finding up-to-date information can be annoying and makes it quite a bit harder to learn the game. Like my example right now: why can't I set my units to static mode (to free more vehicles for the motor pool) when I clearly meet all the conditions as stated in the manual?

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/WitE Patchnote 1.08.03.pdf
6) New Rule ; Units may not enter static mode in 1941
Oh...

You're (apparently) using some of your panzers as front line troops. Don't do that unless necessary; they suffer attrition. A turn or two isn't a big deal, but if you make a habit of it you lose significant attacking power over time.

Some of your units are also not assigned to the command structure. That's also a big no-no if they're to engage in any combat at all. Leader stats matter a great deal in combat; being unattached to a division/corps/etc. HQ will hamstring a unit's effectiveness.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW, isn't the modded Geman Reich flag actually the Kriegsmarine flag?

Finding up-to-date information can be annoying and makes it quite a bit harder to learn the game. Like my example right now: why can't I set my units to static mode (to free more vehicles for the motor pool) when I clearly meet all the conditions as stated in the manual?

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/WitE Patchnote 1.08.03.pdf
6) New Rule ; Units may not enter static mode in 1941
Oh...
The latest manuals are included in the game and at least one of them is reachable from the Steam page.

You're (apparently) using some of your panzers as front line troops. Don't do that unless necessary; they suffer attrition. A turn or two isn't a big deal, but if you make a habit of it you lose significant attacking power over time.

Some of your units are also not assigned to the command structure. That's also a big no-no if they're to engage in any combat at all. Leader stats matter a great deal in combat; being unattached to a division/corps/etc. HQ will hamstring a unit's effectiveness.
I don't have enough of those 'command points' (or whatever) and right kind of HQs at right place. The white units' command structure is OKH/ArmyGroup/Corps instead of OKH/ArmyGroup/Army/Corps which it should be in ideal situation.

And yeah.. panzers are usually not right in the front.
BTW, isn't the modded Geman Reich flag actually the Kriegsmarine flag?
Could be. I grabbed quickly some graphics mods from Matrix forums. Others are not of much consequence, but the map mod 'Rainy Day in Russia' really makes the game look much nicer.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I watched a LP on youtube from a guy who was using it. On one hand I like that the towns' names are written, and there are also other nice things about the map. On the other hand, I don't like that the terrain doesn't flow out of the hexes as naturally as it does in the default map.

I've seen the same flag being used in so many mods that I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't also used for other institutions than the Kriegsmarine. Maybe it just seems more pretty to modders than the Reich's actual flag. How correcting historical inaccuracy can lead to more historical inaccuracy :)

panzertoter

Arcane
Ok guys, I also started to play as Soviets. Do you know how to evacuate factories? Manual only mentions that this option is avaible for certain Soviet factories, but isn't specific which and how can it be done.

I forgot the exact procedure, but it involves a bunch of clicking and the rail transport system. If the manual isn't clear enough there are guides on the official forums for not only how to do it but which factories should have priority based on both danger and future production potential. Some factories like the ones making obsolete biplanes can be ignored - if they will never upgrade to something useful.

Full disclosure: I haven't played this game in a year or two. I freaking love it, but just don't have the huge blocks of time and mental energy to invest anymore.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How does supply work in this game? Is it like TOAW where it only goes out a certain distance from roads & railroads? It seems a bit ridiculous to me that 30 divisions could be supplied in that pocket through that one hex with no railroads nearby.

You should still bag a nice bunch of russians unless he's able to break the encirclement near Yaroslavl. He's got no reserves and no rail lines close enough to launch a counterattack north of the lake, and Soviet units don't have the leadership/movement to escape the pocket.

Nutria:

It is similar as you say. Supply is calculated from the closest railhead using motorized (truck) movement. That means moving through swamp/forest/hills very quickly reduces the amount of supplies received to nothing.

None of the Soviet units in Panzertoter's pocket will receive supplies unless airdropped. But that's not the point.

The key is in the different treatment of combat results of routing between units which are completely surrounded and those which have a path - any path - to friendly territory. If a unit cannot escape, it instead surrenders with every man and piece of equipment. If it is not completely surrounded, it simply routs away. It will lose large amounts of men and equipment but not anywhere near as much as if it surrendered. And the unit itself will remain, crucially for Soviet AP supplies - especially in 1942 when there are fewer new units created automatically.

This means instead of beginning the slog of reducing the pocket next turn, panzertoter will have to close the pocket and then begin reduction one turn later. The lost time is more important in 1941, but this also gives the Soviets more time to bring up reserves and potentially rescue the trapped units.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks. That makes more sense. A guy desperately running for his life is going to get across bad terrain a lot easier than a truck carrying supplies.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I should gather some strength to finish my LP of this. I've already finished the scenario, but finding an extra 1hr+ a day for writing is turning out difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom