Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Made You Go...SHIT

tred

Augur
Share with the Codex those special moments when you realized that "shit, i'd better uninstall it" (not that you really did it).

I'll start. Right now I remember three moments.

- first time talking to a NPC in Oblivion (after leaving the sewers).
- this "shit i'd better uninstall it" feeling was all through the dialogues of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, culminating at the "crazy lady is crazy" line.
- the robo-mosquitoes that attack you at the start of Daikatana.

so, how about you Codex?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I distinctively remember feeling like that while playing Deus Ex: Invisible War, Pool of Radiace: Ruins of Myth Drannor and Diablo. The latter I didn't finish.

Oh, and that awful The Godfather game too.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Fucking Yoshi's Story.

Yoshi's Island was one of my favorite games when I was a kid. It was a beautiful game, with fun gameplay - not really difficult, but enjoyable nonetheless. So, from Yoshi's Story, I was expecting more of the same.

What I got was Baby's First Videogame. Words cannot express how bad, how simple, how insulting this game is. I wish it had been an isolated incident, but it was really just a sign of things to come from Nintendo.

Lemming42

Arcane
At some point between the intro to Assassin's Creed III and arriving at Boston off the ship, it hit me that the entire game was going to be an endless parade of cutscenes with no gameplay, no interesting content and no entertainment value.

I still never beat it. I got to the part where you start playing as the adult INJUN and go hopping around in the trees like a retard and just uninstalled it after not playing it for ages.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Off the top of my head there are 3 that all were in the same month of each other. Also I had really bad taste in games back then.

First was Hyperdimension Neptunia and that moment was when I spend about 10 seconds or so lining up in front of a chest trying to open it but failing because the game's movement was awful. Also considering the game was full of linear paths I'm utterly amazed they managed to screw that up. Also the game was running at what felt like 20 FPS the entire time so I got about an hour in and said fuck it then sold it. Worst hour I've ever had in a video game.

Second was Dragon Age 2 which I got several hours in and wasn't too bored or too impressed then I tried the "humor" option and experienced what was probably the worst line I've ever heard in a game. Then a few minutes later it crashed for the second time and I sold it.

Third was Ar Tonelico Qoga which I actually beat because I liked the first game and wanted to see what happened. Holy shit it was bad. There were so many moments in that game I could use for this but honestly the constant sex jokes just got on my nerves. Especially after you realized one character may as well have had "dirty jokes" as almost her entire personality.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Overlord, when I realized that kb+m controls were shit. Had to switch to the gamepad.

Every TES game (after Daggerfall) after 2-3 hours of playing. Simply can't stand it.

First Assassin's Creed after playing for an hour or so. Boring piece of crap.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Resident Evil 4 most recently. I hear they patched up the controls from the original garbage, but I don't think I'll bother coming back to the PC version. I have Dead Space if I want that imho.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2, when enemies snipe me from great distances (with short range weapons - pistols, smg) and my mercenaries couldn't hit shit. Years later, with JA2 1.13 - it was much, much better experience with both enemies and my mercenaries playing on the same rules.

JA: Back in Action seems to be real spiritual succesor because enemies here harras my Raven (sniper) with pistol from 300+ meters.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Medieval II: Total War. If started on a campaign map when I couldn't click my general because he was to small and was blending with the overdetailed background. But I had uninstalled after playing one battle when I couldn't recognize mu units from the enemy's, and only 1/5 of soldiers in a formation bothered to do any demage.

Simpler is better. Medieval Uno Fo life Yo.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
In Oblivion there became a point where every time an NPC opened its mouth I wanted to put my fist through the monitor. I figured I should protect my monitor rather than keep playing.

Xeon

Augur
Oblivion:
After seeing the faces in the character creation screen I simply turned it off and went to check an LP of it to see if its any good and ended up uninstalling it after that. Probably not a fair judgment but I just didn't like it.

Dragon Age 2:
I played this right after finishing Dragon Age Origin so that might have been why I didn't like this game, It wasn't that bad of a game but compared to DAO it was really bad.

Fallout 3:
The kids at Lamplight, Want to make kids immortals alright fine but at least make them tolerable or avoidable or something. This was not fun.

Final Fantasy VIII:
I think I played every FF game up to that point so I was really excited for this game to come out, It was a pretty good game overall but man I really couldn't stand Squall with his constant whining. Probably my most hated character in a video game. Also didn't like the game revolving around the romance with Rinoa IIRC.

I think there was another JRPG game but I can't remember the name of it so it doesn't matter I suppose.

Edit:
Shining Force Neo:
It crashed my Playstation 2, I don't think they optimized it or didn't think people would abuse grinding or something but damn, When there are many monsters in the game the frame rates tanks so hard it gets kinda ridiculous. I ended up replacing my Playstation 2 because of this game ruining the lenses or something.

Last edited:

ASTRAL

Arcane
Fable:made me realize how actually retarded are the professional game reviewers.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion - I mean duh.

Also Diablo 2 - "am I prancing around some monotonous, well lit meadows braining non-threatening zombies with an axe for pocket change? Wait is blacksmith a tranny... OMG I'm immortal and everything respawns when I load saved game...
:rage: ".
Arcanum. When the gameplay started.

:troll:
:smug:
I still need to go back to it and finish it for that reason.
:(

Telemetry

Educated
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dragon Age 2
'speak dwarf, they tell me you're good at it'
oh boy, here we go :roll:
and more recently hitman absolution. the tutorial was horrible, the next level was unbearable.

laclongquan

Arcane
Final Fantasy VIII:
I think I played every FF game up to that point so I was really excited for this game to come out, It was a pretty good game overall but man I really couldn't stand Squall with his constant whining. Probably my most hated character in a video game. Also didn't like the game revolving around the romance with Rinoa IIRC.

Trying too hard. Do you even play the game? Squall was a new departure at character design at that time from ff7's cloud, in that he's a tall dark silent and moody character. (cloud is a loudmouth, if you havent played 7)

Xeon

Augur
Only played 8 when it first came out and did not finish so I can't remember much.

Cloud and Sephiroth were kind of the same a little bad because of whining from time to time but the game was still pretty good with the other characters aside from Aries were pretty good also IIRC.

Squall kept talking to himself all the time IIRC and kept whining about everything, Anyway I think I played it all the way to the end of Disc 3.
Where he meets his dad I think (favorite character of FF8 and his 2 friends) and were on their way to the witch's world or something

Edit:
I don't know if whining is the right word but I think for Cloud and Sephiroth emos I think is the right description at least for Sephiroth.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Resident Evil 4 is one I actually stopped playing. When the enemies were really coming at you and you still had to fuck with those god-awful controls I was done with that game. Then I got to a point where the guns I had put a ton of money into were suddenly replaced by better guns and the enhancements didn't carry over... I lost it, stopped playing, have never gone back since. Just terrible design all through that fucking game, I don't understand why people love it so much.

I could list a ton of derp moments that made me hate Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I kept playing them. Explorefag gonna explore.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was certainly PC gaming's introduction to console port bullshit. I still enjoy that game on a slut for Deus Ex level, however. When those loading screens and menus and small areas were displaying themselves for the first time on my monitor I definitely put my head down and had a little bro-cry.

Recently there are a ton of shooters I stop playing and uninstall after a level or two. I couldn't even begin to list them all, pretty much every shooter since 2007 that wasn't Crysis or Far Cry. I hate the Call of Duty run straight and shoot people shit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
X Rebirth, docking at the first station.
X Rebirth, flying into a highway and having to play that annoying lulminigame or take forever to get anywhere
X Rebirth, trying to navigate literally anyfuckingwhere
X Rebirth, when I realised the ONLY SHIP YOU CAN PILOT has no cargo bay and you have to use the incredibly dumbed-down interface to order other ships around.
X Rebirth, first time I tried to trade cargo with aforementioned shitty interface.

Worst franchise rape since, well Unreal 2 actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom