Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FPS with mazelike/quality leveldesign

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
what about the new descent game, guys? is it good?

DraQ

Arcane
Doom 2 feels like a collection of maps with uneven difficulty spikes and design ideas, while Quake 2 campaign feels like a clear progression with gradually increasing difficulty curve (cue DraQ complaining about how easy it was)
Well, technically an increase with a slope of 0 is still an increase if you really want to stretch it.
:M
As for difficulty spikes, smooth difficulty curve is overrated, it's supposed to be an adrenaline pumping shootan, not a lulaby.
It also tries to have a narrative without ever doing Half-Life retardation on you.
True, HL has got nothing on sheer magnitude of Q2's derp.
:martini:
The world of Quake 2 feels like it all fits together, while Doom 2 was a collection of random monsters in a collection of "experimental" level designs.
The difference is that Doom 2's less coherent world wasn't boring and homogeneous. Neither were far more coherent worlds of Hexen, Strife, System Shocks, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life and so on.

The only concession I'm willing to make here is that Q2's levels often had nice connectivity - if only it wasn't such a complete waste of talent in every possible way.

For the lack of a better word, Quake 2 campaign feels "mature"
:hmmm:
Those two letters aren't even adjacent, FFS.

Q2 is "mature" in the same way every other dudebro militaristic shooter has been - cowaduty, SoF, etc.
Accusing HL of somehow spoiling the genre while earlier Q2 was both more hitscan dominant, rewarded popamole tactics and appealed to the same sort of dudebro aesthetics as all the decline bringing shooters we so like to complain about is hilarious.

Oh and Quake 2 backtracking has nothing on stuff like Hexen. Maybe it's because I nearly passed Hexen, which was an insane fucking game, but Quake 2 backtracking seemed just perfect in length and "puzzliness" to me.
Since when is backtracking a bad thing?
The opposite of backtracking is being stuck on a rail.

valcik

Arcane
Chaser, more than decade old Slovak sci-fi FPS. Hellishly hard combat, huge levels, not intended for modern gamers or pussies! Dirty cheap on GOG btw.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Hard Reset is trash. Does that new version at least change the weapon mechanics so it doesn't take ten days to switch weapons?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Not FPS, but Legacy had very good levels. Just imagine more RPG-ish System Shock.
Also I second Strife.

dunno lah

Arcane
Jedi Outcast had some of the worst level design in history and I will repeat this till the end of the world.
That won't make it true, but it will continue to point your lack of taste to others. :smug:

Artus Mines, the first Cairn level and the Doomgiver levels were the best (Just don't abuse the jump and pull trick). But its been a while since I last played JK2.

Gerrard

Arcane
Jedi Outcast had some of the worst level design in history and I will repeat this till the end of the world.
That won't make it true, but it will continue to point your lack of taste to others. :smug:
Itf2dmO.jpg

The only person with shit taste on display is you.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finally giving you a lightsaber after having spent hours shooting stuff with those shitty blasters and then filling the very next level with snipers was a masterful move by the developers.

Goddamn I miss 2002 and every year before that.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight 2 aren't straight FPS games. They are like hybrids of FPS, melee action and 3D platforming. It would be fairer to classify them as action adventures...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
:retarded:
Doom has chainsaw "melee action" as well. As well as Witchaven that suddenly, according to you, is not FPS.
Even Blood had "platforming" level (bowels of Tchernobog or something, E4m7, I think)

DF2 just FPS with a story like many others after Half-Life or, hell, even Strife.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
:retarded:
Doom has chainsaw "melee action" as well. As well as Witchaven that suddenly, according to you, is not FPS.
Even Blood had "platforming" level (bowels of Tchernobog or something, E4m7, I think)

DF2 just FPS with a story like many others after Half-Life or, hell, even Strife.
You would be hard pressed to find FPS without melee weapon of some sort...
JK is a different beast.
You are ignoring the degree to which lightsaber combat is developed and present in those games, as well as amount and design of platforming...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lightsaber combat is hella developed and advanced in jedi knight

press alt fire to double swipe

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You are ignoring the degree to which lightsaber combat is developed and present in those games, as well as amount and design of platforming...
Developed? Not really. Block - slash- block.
I only used it in boss battles, but even then some of them were killed with ranged weapons. That little goblin and angsty young Sith spring to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom