Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) thread

Old Hans

Arcane
nevermind I solved the mystery! EVERYONE CHILL OUT!

Last edited:
maybe I am a tard but I can't figure out how to expand/explode my dosbox window, so I am being forced to play these awesome adventures in a tiny little window box. The 'maximize' button on the window is not functional/greyed out---same when I right click, the maximize is not selectable. I am currently playing the realm series but its in a tiny little dosbox window. Is there some way to fix this problem? thx

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You can also modify your DOSBox configuration file, called "dosbox.conf" and modify the "Fullscreen" setting to: Fullscreen = true

If you're playing on a widescreen monitor, I highly recommend setting aspect = true under the "Render" section, so that your screen isn't stretched out and DOSBox keeps your programs in the proper aspect ratio.

Finagle

Novice
Someone help me out with one of the modules. In the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh how the hell do you start the adventure or even find the haunted house? Been wandering around for ages wondering what to do.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry brah, i was installing this and i decided that, yes, i'm too old for this shit, or not old enough. Renaming and creating directories to install things and moving characters to import them (after carefully removing them from parties in the original game) is too fucked up for me.
I'ma going to wait for shadowrun hk and play the two new mods and the conversions of the old ones i already did :negative:

Unless you can share a module megadownload of them all that has everything setup? I think suggested order can be adequately indicated by the numbers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sorry brah, i was installing this and i decided that, yes, i'm too old for this shit, or not old enough. Renaming and creating directories to install things and moving characters to import them (after carefully removing them from parties in the original game) is too fucked up for me.
I'ma going to wait for shadowrun hk and play the two new mods and the conversions of the old ones i already did :negative:

Unless you can share a module megadownload of them all that has everything setup? I think suggested order can be adequately indicated by the numbers.
How do you even run gnu/linux my man

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
With my dick.

Currently i'm doing a python tool for mounting a unionfs(rw dir, squashfs) for dosbox. Would you like to contribute? The annoying thing is that it sorta needs to be integrated into a frontend to be actually used in the wild with the frontend taking care of the scary command line stuff.
I kinda hope it can compress my *checks* 52 gb DOS folder into a single file and still allow me to play games. Well it worked with phantasmagoria 2 and that is 4 gb or something. It's just a factor of 10.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
not so much trouble. Here you can see the main program is short:
http://hastebin.com/tibukoziho.py

What's missing a good efficient hash to detect changed files underneath us (i'm hoping the squash format has some sort of crc in the header i can lift - i'm not looking to find accidental file errors, just purposeful modifications).
It also needs to have packaging and the scripts that install the package should add 2 entries to /etc/fstab for the non-root user to actually be able to mount (and symlink the mount targets). I'm unsure if this needs to be per user or not... probably, having files world writable in /media would get frowned upon. And some other minor details.

As for trouble using it, that's what frontends are for. Maybe it will force pirates of DOS collections to get their act together with dosbox confiles and don't do stupid shit like copy the whole file (instead of only the [autoexec] section which is 99,999% all you need, or mount a drive 4 directories above the current dir or have platform specific C:\ absolute paths in the mount.

Nah, they'll never learn.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's not so much the compression (that is just a bonus) as the ability to separate the writes from the configured games and have some assurance that the files are still valid (squash doesn't corrupt everything if a single bit flipped no). And no, that is not nearly all of the dos games ever made.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Just got this set up and created a party to play through Pool of Radiance. I considered the Amiga version but opted for better interface and Ray's version. Pretty excited to play this again and try some other modules that Ray has put together. Thanks for the tips in your tutorial thread Jaesun

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Does Goldbox Companion work with FRUA game39? If not, would you suggest original game in dosbox with companion or the FRUA adaptation with UI improvements?

Wondering about necessity for mapping as well and whether this is a good time to invest in Grid Cartographer. My memoery of POR is quite fuzzy so I am not sure weather mapping is required or suggested.

Thanks!

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Good Old Games (GOG) has finally got the rights to sell some of the Gold-Box games, including FRUA. You can now pick it up legally in the Forgotten Realms Archive, Volume 2, located here:

http://af.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two?as=1649904300

The collection also includes all the Forgotten Realms based Gold-Box games (Pool of Radiance through Pools of Darkness and the two Savage Frontier games).

Last edited by a moderator:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Anyone who still likes Gold-Box games will be happy to know that new modules are still being released for FRUA. I just playtested a brand new one that should be released soon that was pretty decent. There are a couple other in-progress modules as well that look really promising.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Neverwhere has been released, though it might take a day or two to show up. I've suggested that the author upload it to the forums for instant access.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Loaded the party that it comes with (they are level 3). I assume if you want more a challenge, create your own Lev 1 party. Art and music so far is great!

I suggested that he raise the party to 3rd level for those who want a more balanced game. My party started at 1st level...and it was really brutal at times.

Hopefully, he fixed the issue with clerics. They were unable to turn undead. At all. In an undead filled dungeon. That's a problem.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, in the notes he did state he fixed the turning problem. THAT would be a rather nasty thing to not have working.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom