Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten oldies - Cybermage: Darklight Awakening

Did you like the game?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Mareus

Magister
Here is one old gem that has probably been forgotten due to never even being too popular. Some of you may hate a game like this because of some features, but I tend to look at it as the first game that tried to make something more out of FPS genre.

cybermage01.jpg

CyberMage is Doom-style FPS in which I can see a lot of ideas that were later implemented into games like Deus Ex. Unlike Doom, Quake or Duke Nukem, in Cybermage you will not just run around and kill everything that moves. You will also have to talk with people, follow their orders, help them out so they could help you etc. Some characters for example, will have to be bribed with money so they give you important information, some will have to be saved from prison, some will join you and shortly fight by your side etc.

You can also upgrade your inventory with useful stuff like voice recorder which records important conversations when you are given passwords and instructions how to solve missions, enemy detector will for example allow you to see enemies on the map if the place is too dark, and other useful stuff which I forgot about because I played the game 10 years ago. Cybermage is also the first FPS I have seen that allowed you to use vehicles like tanks and flying cars which you can not only use as a weapon, but also as a vehicle that can take you through the city and allow you to reach places you otherwise couldn't. The game also wasn't just about going through mazes and opening doors with blue, red and yellow keys, but very often you had to find a certain item so you could use it on a specific place to be able to advance. It works quite similar to adventure games. Unfortunately these adventure elements happen only few times in the game, but it is a nice touch for a FPS.

Cybermage also has a lot of different weapons, which range from standard shooting weapons like laser pistol, plasma shotgun, some uzi kind of weapon, etc.. to melee weapons like swords, axes and maces. Also you will be able to learn magic and shoot it out of your hand like a real marvel kind of superhero. I don't remember too well but I think overall you have somewhere near 20-30 different weapons including magic. You also have armor which gets better and better through the game and can get destroyed if it gets too damaged. Interesting part is that unlike your regular shooters where you get the whole armor at once, in CM you have to find a helmet for the head, leggings for legs, torso armor for the body, etc. and depending where you get shot that piece of armor gets damaged. You can also fix the armor so you need not always search for new armor.

cybermage02.jpg

Furthermore the game allows you to gamble on some slot machines and also bet in the arena on who of the combatants will win. You will also have to fight in the arena against the champion, so you can see why the game surprised me when I first saw it. But it gets better. You can also buy items, weapons, armor, health, ammunition, etc at some electronic stores which I really didn't expect.

But wait... there is more. The game also tried to implement some RPG elements so you could become stronger as you progressed through the game. I must admit it was not done too well, but it nevertheless gave you the feeling you are growing stronger. You won't see any stats and character creation options, so don't get your hopes up if you missed this game, because it too has a few weak spots, but I will get on that later. Anyway, the RPG elements work like this. You kill an enemy and for a short period of time his soul will come out of his body. You have to run to the soul and quickly absorb it with the darklight gem forged into your forehead. Whenever you consume someones soul you will get a permanent boost in your health or mana and that's it. Some souls will be very hard to aquire, because sometimes there is just too many enemies around, or they are just too far to get to the soul in time, but it is nevertheless a nice attempt to overcome the limitations of the engine, especially considering how old the game is.

Now to the story, which I will try to explain only in short words so I don't spoil the game for those who decide to give this gem a shot. In the year 2044 world has fallen apart and there is a war between corporations and rebels who are trying to overthrow the corrupted government. You awake with no memory to who you are in a mysterious laboratory only to find out you have been turned into a cyborg-human with some strange stone in your forehead. There is also someone looking for you and he wants you dead. His name is Necrom and he seems to posses the same powers like you do. He also seems to be someone important, but you will find out about that later in the game. Anyway, after you escape the laboratory you will have to join forces with the rebels and defeat Necrom. I know it sounds cheesy, but that is because I suck at explaining a story in short words. It actually is quite similar to Deus Ex, only not so detailed.

The game also offers a lot of memorable moments, like the arena, or the massive battle between rebels and Necrom soldiers on the outskirts of the city, where you run through trenches and try to help the rebels to win the battle. It's nothing spectacular by today's standards, but it was pretty awsome back in the 1995.

The game however has a few flaws. The first thing that gave me problems was adjusting myself to using only keyboard. Don't get me wrong, you can use the mouse too, it's just that using mouse with keyboard proved a bit difficult. The game works best just by using keyboard but maybe thats just me. Weapons have a nice kick to it and you will enjoy every kill you make, just don't expect that you will end up using mouse and keyboard like with what we are used to today. There also seems to be a problem with the way you earn money. For example if you gamble away the money in the beginning of the game you are screwed because you won't be able to finish the game. However if you use the save/load tactic when you gamble, you can earn millions and that will make the game too easy for you. But if you don't gamble, you maybe won't have enough money to buy all those nice Star Trek items which can help you a lot. Also don't expect any dialog options, or choices or consequences, because this is a shooter from 1995 after all. It's pretty linear and still there is a lot of mazes. Nothing like Doom, but some of you young gamers might get confused from time to time. Some of you might also be bothered with the fact that some characters look the same as enemies, although I have to say you will have a huge variety of enemies. Much bigger variety than in any other FPS I have played, but they are scaled through the levels which are also very different by design, which is a good thing. Another thing some people may hate are unkillable NPCs that are important for finishing the game. Not really important in my opinion, but I have to mention it. Just remember that before Cybermage you had Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem type of FPS, so CM is for them like a God or something.

To make the long story short, I would recommend this game to everyone who likes old school games or is willing to try them. Here are some more screenshots from MobyGames and Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/c...m_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;img;3
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/cybermage-darklight-awakening/screenshots

-----EDIT------
Here is the download link for a full game:
http://rapidshare.com/files/130740106/CM.rar.html

Ahmora

Novice
Where can i find it? I would like to try it out.
BTW Does it work with Windows XP ?

Mareus

Magister
Ahmora said:
Where can i find it? I would like to try it out.
BTW Does it work with Windows XP ?

I don't know where you can find it. Try E-bay or just type Cybermage download on google and see what you can come up with. As far as I know it doesn't work in XP, and I had quite a lot of trouble running it in previous versions of Dosbox. However the newest version of Dosbox (0.72 I think) runs it without problems, but you will have to speed it up to 20000 cycles.

Mareus

Magister
mondblut said:
It was designed by none other than David Bradley of Wizardry fame, amirite?

One and the same. Seriously, this game is really good and if you haven't played it you should. I am really interested if anyone on the codex played it and if they found it interesting as me.

Heresiarch

Prophet
This was one of the game that I got excited when I spotted on a magazine, too bad it never got any serious attention.

I thought it should be considered abandonware? Maybe it can be found on those sites, yet in my experience I've NEVER seen it on any abandonware site.

Mareus

Magister
There are some companies like EA, Lucas Arts, etc. which would rather see a game forgotten forever than declare it abandonware. I have the original and you will be amazed to hear there is NO copy protection. None whatsoever, and you can play the full game directly from your hard disk. I might as well make a zip file and distribute it :lol:

How things have changed...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, CYbermage. I had this game in my HD , but had forgotten about it. I'll give it a try , it seems interesting. You can find it here. You need to register to download it, though.

Mareus

Magister
ghostdog said:
Hmm, CYbermage. I had this game in my HD , but had forgotten about it. I'll give it a try , it seems interesting. You can find it here. You need to register to download it, though.

I am not sure if this is the full version with movies, voices and everything. You should have a movie in the beggining and you should also have voices. So contact me if it's just a ripped version. I can send you the full game zipped. Unzipped It's only around 130 MB, and you get voices, sounds, music, movies... everything.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just upload the full game to megaupload and post the link here.

It's not piracy because... nobody here will ever fucking find that game in a store anymore.

Mareus

Magister
Hmm.. never used any of those uploading sites. Might as well start I guess. I ll upload it when I get home from work, but unfortunately the codexians don't seem overly intrigued with my little recommendation. I guess because it's a FPS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I like it. It's Bradley. I liked everything he made. Haven't tried DUngeon Lords yet, but will one day [I'll likely even like it. o.o]

Besides, nothing wrong with FPS with RPG elements. Deus Ex, System Shock are great.

I remember that my mother wanted to buy me this game when I was 14 or so and I said it had too bad reviews.

Mareus

Magister
Jasede said:
Oh, I like it. It's Bradley. I liked everything he made. Haven't tried DUngeon Lords yet, but will one day [I'll likely even like it. o.o]

Besides, nothing wrong with FPS with RPG elements. Deus Ex, System Shock are great.

I remember that my mother wanted to buy me this game when I was 14 or so and I said it had too bad reviews.
Yeah, the press was bad than almost as it is now. I guess they were too busy praising the upcoming Duke Nukem.

mondblut

Arcane
I never played it, only briefly watched someone play back when it was out. I remember being royally pissed off that Bradley wasted those last 3 years making a fucking FPS instead of so long-awaited sequel to Wizardry 7...

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Yeah, you will like it, it's Bradley :wink:

Mareus

Magister
Ok, I tried to upload it on Megaupload, but either I am doing something wrong or it takes forever? I registered to get a free account, made a RAR file of Cybermage CD. It has 160 MB and I tried to send myself a link, like it says on the FAQ. It starts uploading by saying sending request to www188 something and it just stands there. I tried a few more times and actually managed to get to file transfering, but it also just stands there and it seems like it takes forever. I have very fast internet and I doubt 160 MB can take more than 30 minutes to upload. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong, or does it just take long?

Mareus

Magister
Well then, I don't have to upload it. But I would still like to learn how to do it.

-----EDIT-----
Nevermind. I went to Rapidshare and it works like a charm, but man it is slow. It's like 27 kb/s. Oh well, that explains why it took forever on Megaupload, just wish they have shown me the speed so I would at least know it's working.

It's finally finished. I added the link under my review. I know some people have already added links where you can download it, but I haven't tried them out. Anyway my link will give you full CD version which works 100% and I also added DOSBox 0.72 with instructions how to enhance resolution in DOSbox for all games in two short steps. Anyway I hope you enjoy this gem as much as I have enjoyed it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks Mareus. Could you post the dosbox tweaks here as well, for those that already have the game.

Mareus

Magister
ghostdog said:
Thanks Mareus. Could you post the dosbox tweaks here as well, for those that already have the game.

I have done this a long time ago so I don't remember what changes I did in DOSbox.conf and I don't feel like going through it again. There is a Dosbox.conf file in the CM.rar folder which you just need to copy into your Dosbox installation folder. For those that don't feel like downloading the whole game just for one txt file here is what you have to do:

1. Copy this into Dosbox.conf and overwrite it:

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.72.
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# windowresolution -- Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lowest,lower,normal,higher,highest,pause (when not focussed).
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.
# usescancodes -- Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=original
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language -- Select another language file.
# memsize -- Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,pcjr,vga.
# captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,
# 2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,
# tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.
# If forced is appended (like scaler=hq2x forced), the scaler will be used
# even if the result might not be desired.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.
# auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
# You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.
# The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.
# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will
# probably lower their sound quality.
# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering
# but sound will also be more lagged.
# prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
# mpu401 -- Type of MPU-401 to emulate: none, uart or intelligent.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device. In Windows put
# the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
# sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the
# Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)
# gusrate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy -- Enable Tandy Sound System emulation (off,on,auto).
# For auto Tandysound emulation is present only if machine is set to tandy.
# tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible.

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
# joysticktype -- Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks,
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# timed -- enable timed intervals for axis. (false is old style behaviour).
# autofire -- continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34 -- swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap -- enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.
# umb -- Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout -- Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
While I've managed to get the game running I can't seem to able to play it in the higher resolution. I've made a maximum installation with the SVGA texture pack but wjen I run it , the game shows in a small frame. Anybody knows what may be the problem?

imagejg5.jpg

[EDIT] :

Nevermind , I found it , you change the frame size with the "]" key.

Mareus

Magister
Don't forget to enhance the cycles to 20000, because otherwise the game may hack a bit. You do it with CTRL+F12 I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom