Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For what do people play Diablo (and such games)?

Why play diablo-style games?

• Grinding/looting

Votes: 102 48.1%
  • Simple but catchy gameplay

Votes: 127 59.9%
  • Interesting setting/design in particular games

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Other (specify) in your post

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

Lhynn

Arcane
Size, weight, shape, etc. The ceremonial dagger or fetish provides additional bonuses that are uniquely useful to the witchdoctor and which he cannot find on a claymore via enchantments, the object itself is not necessarily a better focus than a claymore.
It is if its a lvl 10 fetish and a lvl 25 claymore. Either way, we are not discussing the "extra enchancements" the object has, just the base object and how retarded it is than its capability for damage, regardless of size, weight and shape are whats powering your spells or even your summons.

No, I've explained it successfully and in far more detail than necessary in the first place. It takes a considerable level of autism to demand detailed explanations for abstractions in a videogame focused on just slaughtering huge numbers of monsters in the first place.
Youve explained nothing, you just made up a retarded reason that has no logical connection and its not fitting for the setting. Its just gamey shit thats lazy.

Yes, we were discussing your false claim (since you have no idea what you're talking about) that weapons affect all damage. They don't.
DPS affects the damage of all your skills, thats what we are discussing, dont be a retarded ass.

Yes we are moron, there is one item that converts your health regeneration into an aura that damages enemies instead. Weapon damage never factors into the calculation. You wouldn't know about this item because you're not gonna run into it in the first 15 minutes, you stupid motherfucker. Weapon damage usually (but not always) affects damage.
Irrelevant, we are talking about the destructive power of a weapon directly affecting the destructive power of your spells, the skills that dont use said weapon, etc.
Misc magical effects that come in the game are something else entirely and you being unable to tell appart one thing from the other shows me that you are as much of an idiot as youve led me to believe in the past.

Of course I am winning the argument, you were arguing that it makes no sense for a wizard to power his spell with an axe, as if there is some sort of real life rules as to how spells can and cannot be powered.
There is you stupid cuck, we have a rich history of magic in this world, that it doesnt actually work is besides the point. This rich history is what often inspires magic in fictional tales.

:lol: You are a loser and a mental midget who latches onto extremely stupid arguments because proper critiques require effort and an IQ above room temperature.
You are unable to adress the matter at hand so you resort to insults, i insult you while providing you with clear cut reasons as to why you are wrong, and a cuck.

Arguing with Mastermind. What's next? Arguing with Volo? :M
I find volo more agreeable than mastermind. And ive argued with hiver, retartetmind is lightweight.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
The game actually became good somewhere in the middle of the expansion. I play it once in a while when the new season comes out for some fun coop sessions with my buddies until we are so perfectly geared that finding that one specific item that boosts us would take too long to get so we lose interest again. Takes about 2-3 weeks.

I like the looting, the simple yet still somehow skillbased combat system (atleast on competitive levels), and most of all trying out all kinds of different skill combos with different sets, unique effects of legendaries, legendary gems etc etc.

People here are having a discussion about realism in a game like diablo? ...THE FUCK?!?

Cadmus

Arcane
the fuck, people still play games for loot?
after all these years, after all these vacuous games, you still get excited by loot with 2% better stats than the previous piece?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sound effects and ambience.

Seriously, I doubt I'd play Diablo if it wasn't for the woosh sound items do when they appear, the clang when they hit the ground, the disgusting but fascinating sound Hiddens make when you cut their heads, the groans enemies do when they fall to the ground, the ambient music, the dark and oppressive atmosphere, the feeling that you are actually going down into some hell that gets worse at every step, etc. Doom has a similar attention to detail, and the game wouldn't be the same without the diarrhea-inducing alert howl of a Hell Knight.

I can't remember when was the last time I played Diablo 2 or why, though.

Beastro

Arcane
Without a doubt... Multiplayer.

Not sure how anyone could play through the tedium alone, but when you add a partner it somehow becomes bearable. It's also the only genre (sans mmorpgs) that my Pokemon loving girlfriend enjoys on the computer.

The only good multiplayer I found was playing D1 on the PS1 with my brother and friends to share the dread and the enjoyment of panicking at the same time running away and hopefully living to regroup.

I couldn't see MPing something like facing the Butcher for the first time without the other people being in the same room with you.

With that said, that sort of "game you rent on the weekend to enjoy with friends" went hand in hand with it's simple, enjoyable gameplay and loot being serious and fun to collect, but not turned into a hording simulator you play for years alone in your room.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I couldn't see MPing something like facing the Butcher for the first time without the other people

That's odd, I can't imagine what it would be like to ruin the experience of first walking into the Butcher's lair by having people around you ruining the atmosphere.

Implying+i+m+not+hot+now+_f097064d1101066dfd5742cf4667c72a.jpg

Space Insect

Arcane
For me, it was the online multiplayer. I remember playing the demo for D1 back then with my brother, and then getting the full game and playing that as well.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What kind of drops are those?

A mix of set items, uniques, ethereal self-repairing socketed rares, etc. Items socketed with +max dmg rare jewels. Also lots of +life small charms packed in inventory.

How do you get them?

By imbueing at certain clvls, by gambling at certain clvls, by farming specific areas, by rerolling items in the cube, and by trading.

Simple & catchy design + interesting setting. Hack & Slash ARPG's are great because the subgenre is a lot easier to work with in terms of setting and atmosphere. Most C&C classic CRPG's are some form of fantasy.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The closest of the three mentioned is probably 'simple but catchy gameplay'. Which enables me to, dunno, watch TV shows WHILE playing the game.:D Or at least listen to old Howard Stern show clips. Terrible habit which I'm gonna have to get rid of sooner or later.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Diablo 1 had interesting PvM, somewhat.
Diablo 2, same reasons as Lilura . There's nothing like killing noobs double or triple your level and hearing them rage because they don't understand what leveraging level requirements mean.
Diablo 3, fuck that. The expansion didn't really save it either. The most fun I had here was making thousands of dollars with minimal time/effort/resources.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There's nothing like killing noobs double or triple your level and hearing them rage because they don't understand what leveraging level requirements mean.

It brought me more delight than kicking hackers off the edge of cliffs in Dark Souls and griefing people left and right (but that was fun, too).

Celerity

You know you're a supreme trollish asshole when you enter a game with no intentions of PKing anyone and everyone in there immediately hostiles you. My characters weren't even that good for the level tier, lacking quality rares and (damage/skill)/lifers for the most part. People got really salty about those gold piles...

I also made a level 9 ChickenChecker (forget butchered spelling) with no gear. He'd enter Hardcore games, declare hostility, and find himself Forever Alone because literally everyone there used chicken hack and maphack. I'm sure the level 85 powerleveler was absolutely terrified.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 3, fuck that. The expansion didn't really save it either. The most fun I had here was making thousands of dollars with minimal time/effort/resources.
I do remember people buying absolute useless crap for €20-30 just because it was unique/set when maybe 5% of unique items were good for anything. Probably got much worse later on, but in the first few weeks I could sell anything shiny.
Also didn't they effectively add level scaling with the expansion? A friend of mine told me the expansion was better, but from what I've read about it they've turned it into some weird MMO-lite where everyone does short random DPS-meter dungeons and monsters/loot depend on your level plus how much hp bloat you can handle. The only thing D3 had going for it was the fluidity and responsiveness of combat, the underlying system was complete crap, not to mention the story and graphics. I guess the short lore bits were cool too.

Celerity

Yeah, people were really dumb about the AH, especially early on.

The expansion kind of added level scaling except not really. Basically, the devs were offended that everyone in classic just farmed the same few areas so they nuked all those areas, made classic crippleware on purpose, and then made an expansion that specifically introduces a new area as the "intended sole farming area". And they failed at that the first three or four attempts, and only finally got people playing "correctly" after nerfing everything else really hard and artificially making "rifts" (the damage meter dungeons) much more rewarding. And even then it's debatable because the only stats you care about are the Cookie Clicker level numbers you make appear over enemy heads with your AoE spam and how many mobs you catch in it (and rifts have very inconistent mob density resulting in very inconsistent xp/loot).

Also, only dev approved builds are allowed because they're the only ones that gets hundreds or thousands of percent global damage bonuses for those skills. That is not even an exaggeration.

It's never been good as an actual game, because in both cases you just grind so you can be the same few builds as everyone else. I'd argue it was actually better in classic just because the builds were player made instead of dev approved, focused on hitting stat breakpoints instead of using the same copy pasta checklist of items as everyone else, and you could make measurable progress instead of this "Well shit, I'm a [Any Class] and I don't have my standard set. I GUESS I'M USELESS! Better keep randomly grinding until it drops and I can make my clone character!"

It's like someone saw the D2 model of character guides always recommending the same gear and thought intentionally recreating it was good design. D2 PvM didn't remain interesting for long either.

I am only not pissed about D3 because it paid for itself and then some. Even so, when I bought a game I wasn't looking for a job even if the job did pay 100+ dollars per hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom