Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Flashback Designer's Subject 13 - Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1993213058/subject-13-by-paul-cuisset

When Flashback lead designer Paul Cuisset announced his new adventure game, Subject 13, through publisher and developer Microids, we blithely assumed that we’d see a new game from someone From Those Days that didn’t rely on crowdfunding. Silly us. Subject 13 is now on Kickstarter. Microids are only looking for $40,000 (£23k-ish) though, so presumably they’ve put in a fair bit of their own cash.

The Kickstarter also means that we now know what the game even is, with in-game snippets to coo. It’s a good olde adventure game, you guys, with lots of wandering around and solving puzzles, with an emphasis on looking at items real close-up. Getting right up in their business.

Microids are being quite vague about it all, saying they don’t want to ruin its mysteries. They’re willing to confirm that you play a chap (a physics professor, specifically), that there’s a shady corporation, that you get to talk to people, and lots of objects can be popped open, turned around, slotted into each other, and generally puzzled with. It is indeed an adventure game. Something about the animated interactive environment stuff is very pleasing–look at this animated gif.

Pledging $20 (£12) will get you a copy of the game when it’s finished (or $15 if you’re fast, or $10 if you’re very fast), which is expected to be this October. If you’ve got $10 grand kicking around, you can even replace the game’s protagonist. Either they’re happy to be flexible with their main character, or they’re fairly confident such a backer would also be a bearded white guy with glasses.​

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Backed at $20. Watching the video, this is exactly the kind of Sci-Fi like Adventure Game I like to play. Stasis is vastly superior. :obviously: But this still looks interesting (the puzzle and interactive elements).

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
maybe as in most things i am a minority in this one too, but no surprise really..

pledge for what? Occulus? You try and entice me with the adventures i played and loved as a toddler in your pitch vid, which you should, it worked, lol, and then ask me to pay for what?..
- your game seems finished, or close enough, with Microids to boot; not exactly on capital starvation now are we
- if you expect my type of guy to help (see: allure of the past aka i am in my thirties/forties now), you should already know the current graphics are more than good enough as they are for me
- fuck occulus?
- you ask for a total of 40k with the above in consideration, what you are telling me is that actually, you should not be needing my pledge in the first place.

had he said this is what Microids has paid for, it's shipping, i have however an 'x' and 'y' content idea which i am about to explain in detail to you..

edit: i know he did this to hype it, and i will be happy if it bites him in the ass for it. He should have known better. Research is free ^^

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Paul Cuisset is also partly responsible for Cruise for a Corpse, a very good advnture game that does not get half the praise it deserves.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cruise for a corpse is not a very good adventure game. Its got a terrible plot (just watch the ending) and sometimes the puzzles depend on inventory items that appear only at certain times, with pixelhunt or even in containers (still butthurt about the matches in a drawer i had already searched).

buzz

Arcane
:troll:I like how looking up the codex for threads about Cruise for a Corpse, I saw SCO's opinion transitioning from "great game" to "good for what it is" to "pretty shit" in a few years. Guess that's the effect this place can have on you.

Chances are that if I replay Future Wars and Operation Stealth, I might find them pretty shit. But back when I played them, the Delphine adventure games were some of my favorites.

belated

Augur
Operation Stealth... remember that from the amiga. Never did get far enough to get to use all the disks.
Think I got stuck in an airport (or park?) or something, probably on the first disk. :p

belated

Augur
Or park! (If there even is one in the game.) Then again I mostly remember the intro... :P

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
$43,507
pledged of $40,000 goal

This did finally make it.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will turn out to be decent.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1993213058/subject-13-by-paul-cuisset/posts/1113152

Hi, dear test subjects!

As planned, part of the sets have been modified to add more depth and details as you can see in one of the rooms of the first location Franklin Fargo will visit at the beginning at the adventure.

18d346e83b4782ba691f2ee6ece3f0ad_large.jpg

Before
09f6a3d983f1c15debdc53f8ec16c575_large.jpg

After
Beta version will be ready soon now and “TEST SUBJECT” and above backers should be able to download a private version in about 10 days. Each one will receive an e-mail with all the requested instructions to download and run it.

For now, Paul and the Subject 13 team wish you all the best for 2015!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-22-flashback-creators-subject-13-out-next-week

Flashback creator's Subject 13 out next week

Subject 13, the next game from the creator of cult classic adventure Flashback, launches on PC and Mac on Thursday, 28th May. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions will follow.

Subject 13 is a new adventure game by Paul Cuisset, the French brains behind Flashback, the cinematic platformer that first launched on Amiga in 1992.

In Subject 13, billed as Cuisset returning to his adventure game roots, you play Franklin Fargo, a physics professor who leads a solitary and bitter existence following the death of his fiancée, Sophie, during a robbery that should have targeted him.

The game begins as Franklin wakes up in an abandoned underground science facility with no external contact other than a mysterious voice that calls him Subject 13. You have to interact with the 3D environment, collecting, using and manipulating objects to escape.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
It's out on GOG and Steam... Does anyone have any impressions to share?

I have some, if you don't mind :)

1. Puzzles starting from the very first room are a mix of very easy to mind-bogglingly hard for me but I am not that good at these things so YMMV.

2. The game puts the 3rd dimension to use as some puzzles require you to completely inspect an object in order to find the solution.

3. You get ONE "solve this puzzle for me, it's too hard!" option for the ENTIRE game.

3. There is no object highlighting that I know of so it pays to inspect everything as you might miss something the first time around.

4. There is a sort of hint system (look for a "?" in the HUD).

5. You have multiple dialog choices but no more than 3 and I am not sure if your choices affect anything.

6. Once you complete a chapter you can't go back to those rooms but in this game it doesn't matter all that much as once you complete the puzzles there is no point in going back previous locations.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Played for a short while.

I'm liking this. A lot.

The game puts a lot of focus on attention to detail and forces you to inspect every item you pick up for clues. I found a book which actually turned out to be a series of 3 different puzzles, the solutions to all of which could be found by inspecting the book itself for hints (although two of them were really no-brainers, but still).

I like the atmosphere of seclusion and there have already been some mindfucks going on that look pretty promising. It also gives plot hints via scientist memos ala all sorts of system shocks, which is a tired trope, yes, but it seems to work here well because most of these are hidden and you actually have to search for them actively.

So far everything has reminded me a lot of Post Mortem, gameplay-wise. The way you have close-ups on places of interest, how you gotta look for hidden stuff, etc, but with the added tweest that the close-ups are 3D and can be rotated, which further introduces some actual player agency. The music is also very similar to Post Mortem. It also has Penumbra style 'swipe your mouse while holding left click' interactions.

Idk if dialogue options matter, but I think they kinda sorta should? They look important at least. We'll see.

I also like the puzzles so far. When literally the 2nd one I saw was a sliding tile puzzle, I wanted to rage, but it actually turned out to be a clever tweest on that. There's a 4x4 tileset with 3x5 tiles with different symbols on them. The thing is you don't have to construct one specific image which is always just infuriating, but instead you have to align the symbols into lines of 3, which leaves a lot more leeway for the player. I also further like how the puzzles simply make sense worldbuilding-wise - the place is some sort of top sikkrit scientific facility with lots of security measures, and you constantly come across very easy 'connect the dots'-sorta puzzles to unlock those security measures. They are ridonk easy and obvious and hardly even 'puzzles' per se, but they constantly keep you doing something and reinforce the setting, which is very neat.

I guess what I like the most about this game so far is simply that it reinforces player agency on just about everything all the time. It's a very, very welcome 180 turn from all the interactive movies that have been coming out in recent time. I'd even dare to say it's kinda-sorta Sierra-inspired.

Also, it wouldn't be a French game without a wonky translation. It's by no means terrible, and everything is perfectly clear, but it still has plenty of really weird turns of phrase nevertheless.

Also2, keep in mind that I've played it for only a short while, maybe an hour or so. Odds are it's still going to make me rage with typical Microids-style train of logic puzzle down the line.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Okay, nevermind a lot of the above. The game turns into Myst the moment you leave the starting facility :nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom