Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum First time Arcanum player, need some general guidance

Ninjerk

Arcane
What's the deal with the magic cougar in the entrance to the Black Mountain Mines? I picked off a number of ailing wolves from the chamber with three sets of stairs, and as I started in on the patriarch/matriarch some cougar warped in and then warped back out as soon as I had shot it once or twice.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The problem with that is you don't control companions and the AI seems to be lacking. For example I give my companions potions, but I have never seen them drink it, even when they absolutely should have (think attacking with one fatigue and knocking themselves over rather than drink the fatigue potion).
I've seen them drink them repeatedly, but the AI is iffy at times.

Combat isn't hard though and if you are unable to engage in combat personally, you should heal them yourself instead of wasting your time repeatedly slapping yourself in the face with your staff like an idiot.

Regardless, making a non-combat character is a CHOICE. You've chosen to do it, so either suck it up and roll with it or don't do it.
mystery.png

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, it's very, very easy to make a bad build. Try creating a character with no points in melee. I did it. It's the worst rpg experience I've ever had until I hit level 11. Dropped weapon, miss, critically injure yourself, repeat. Even having 1 point in melee is horrible. Think I created an elf beauty with an 8 st and an 8 dex.
sup, Avellone

if you make a character without melee, maybe fighting in melee combat is a bad idea...
mystery.png
No shit. But there is a very predictable, boring sentiment that pervades every thread on this game. That is, separating meta knowledge from first time player knowledge. There are at least 10 character backgrounds that can severely gimp the beginning of the game. It adds artificial difficulty that you or I would see having played the game, but any other player may not quite get it. "Hur, you can't create a bad build because people who never played the game before would know to spam harm if they didn't go melee!" That kind of idiocy more or less runs rampant in these threads.

Plan out any build and allocate your initial 5 points and background, but plan on being non-melee. Plan on being a charmer, or a sneak, or a thief, or a bow type fighter. See, that kind of thinking may connect with what I call "rational people." Sure, there aren't any here, but I'm just picturing someone buying this game off of GOG based on rave reviews. They structure their player around sneaking. Now, they can't get past 2nd level, and when traveling between towns, Virgil is killed every time and they can't escape combat.

I finished the game the first time just cranking pure melee, just because I like two handers. But, on a lark I created a non-combat, non-harm character. It was fucking awful but getting out of Shrouded Hills was a breeze with about 3 different ways out.

It's also very easy to get stuck in Shrouded Hills with even a good combat build. That is, when trying to get past the first gate.

Fallout 1 makes almost any build possible, Arcanum, not so much. Dumb to say it's impossible to make a bad build. Its very, very possible.

That is, separating meta knowledge from first time player knowledge.
What part of "zero melee skill" was hard for you to understand the first time?

And why did it take you 11 levels to start to fathom its meaning?

There are at least 10 character backgrounds that can severely gimp the beginning of the game.
So what? You get a different experience. You either roll with it or start a new game.

At least the game let's you choose whether or not you want it. And what your stats will be after that.

If modern casuals ever had to roll a real character's stats in a classic D&D game, they'd likely shit their pants.
Now, they can't get past 2nd level, and when traveling between towns, Virgil is killed every time and they can't escape combat.
lol, maybe they should level up before trying to cross country at level 1 then. There's a whole town to level up in. And yeah, leveling up is something you have to do in RPGs. Go figure.

Maybe they should try hiring the ogre at the inn. Maybe they should buy Virgil some better gear. And if they still suck after all that, maybe they need to reexamine their retarded character build or the way they are playing it.

I've played just about every kind of character you can think of in Arcanum and I will tell you that not only are they all playable, they are all easy once you figure out how to play them.

Arcanum does something we all like that casuals like you will never understand: It offers choices and consequences.

You chose to max out your beauty at the start and rushed out into the world at level 1?

Well, have fun working as a whore in Tarant because odds are you're not going to be able to make money any other way.

You chose to make a character with 4 INT? Well, congratulations, you get to play an actual retard instead of just playing like one for a change.

And that's not a sign the game is broken. It's a sign you sucked at making choices. (Or maybe a sign that you made those choices on purpose because you appreciate reactivity and challenge.)

Now you can either reload and make yet another dumb combat character or be a good little girl and bend over for that gnomish gentleman. Don't forget to steal is ring. :M

It's also very easy to get stuck in Shrouded Hills with even a good combat build. That is, when trying to get past the first gate.
114VafK.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Statement: It's not possible to make a bad build. Answered truthfully: it is possible. Someone appears to want to make an argument of this. :roll:

I've played the game a few times. It's purposeless arguing about this and that in the game. You aren't planting a flag somewhere, discovering or articulating something unknown about the games structure. Saying you can make a bad build doesn't make me a game hater, just makes me a (seminally) sane person. Come on. I'm not slamming Arcanum.

Statement: It's not possible to make a bad build. Answered truthfully: it is possible.
I never quoted that part of your post, smart guy.

Yes, it's possible to make a "bad build". But you can still play it. Or you can accept you made a non-optimal choice and make a new character. Your choice. I for one am glad for the freedom to fail in a game.
Someone appears to want to make an argument of this. :roll:
And that certainly wouldn't be the guy who implied everyone here who disagreed with him was practicing "idiocy" and then can't fathom why he's suddenly a subject of critique, now would it? :roll:
It's purposeless arguing about this and that in the game.
yeah, yeah. wuss out then. I've said what I had to say anyway.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
And that certainly wouldn't be the guy who implied everyone here who disagreed with him was practicing "idiocy" and then can't fathom why he's suddenly a subject of critique, now would it? :roll:
This is incorrect in that there was no implication that anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. I said that in almost all Arcanum threads, idiots show up (see Lambchop19 ) and argue that first time players should understand optimal game builds. It's painful in its predictability.

argue that first time players should understand optimal game builds
I never said that though. I said that they should understand that zero melee skill means (shockingly) zero melee skill. And that they could see what the consequences of their choices were and choose to reload. Reloading - it isn't a sin or a permanent injury. There is no tutorial. There is you finding out what the world is about and how to play the game live.

It's called reactivity and freedom to fail. You can make actual choices with consequences instead of having the game polish your ass with kisses regardless of what you do - which is actually fun, provided you're not a tidepod sucking, casual faggot. Not saying that you are btw. Just implying it heavily.

But to each his own. :M

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's stop this now! I didn't see you had the awesome power of retard ratings and cuck ratings. Fuck man, I should have never have tangled with you. Please, man! Let's be friends Lambchop19 !!! I am hanging on by a thread on this site as it is, your ratings may get me kicked out of here! PEACE!!!! I mean, I didn't know my controversial thoughts that Arcanum may have bad builds had you roundin' up the Lambchop posse to bring me down. I don't need this kind of stress in my life, so I withdraw. You are correct, I'm a retard and can't play the game right. Just, please, leave me alone. I don't need this kind of stress in my life!

Elex

Arbiter
Actually, it's very, very easy to make a bad build. Try creating a character with no points in melee. I did it. It's the worst rpg experience I've ever had until I hit level 11. Dropped weapon, miss, critically injure yourself, repeat. Even having 1 point in melee is horrible. Think I created an elf beauty with an 8 st and an 8 dex.
sup, Avellone

if you make a character without melee, maybe fighting in melee combat is a bad idea...
mystery.png
No shit. But there is a very predictable, boring sentiment that pervades every thread on this game. That is, separating meta knowledge from first time player knowledge. There are at least 10 character backgrounds that can severely gimp the beginning of the game. It adds artificial difficulty that you or I would see having played the game, but any other player may not quite get it. "Hur, you can't create a bad build because people who never played the game before would know to spam harm if they didn't go melee!" That kind of idiocy more or less runs rampant in these threads.

Plan out any build and allocate your initial 5 points and background, but plan on being non-melee. Plan on being a charmer, or a sneak, or a thief, or a bow type fighter. See, that kind of thinking may connect with what I call "rational people." Sure, there aren't any here, but I'm just picturing someone buying this game off of GOG based on rave reviews. They structure their player around sneaking. Now, they can't get past 2nd level, and when traveling between towns, Virgil is killed every time and they can't escape combat.

I finished the game the first time just cranking pure melee, just because I like two handers. But, on a lark I created a non-combat, non-harm character. It was fucking awful but getting out of Shrouded Hills was a breeze with about 3 different ways out.

Fallout 1 makes almost any build possible, Arcanum, not so much. Dumb to say it's impossible to make a bad build. Its very, very possible.
this game have a manual.
the manual tell people that they should start with a melee character and focus str/dex/mele

harm is the only tier one spell that deal damage so it’s hard to go wrong with that.

tecnological is actually hard because you don’t find a minigun and a power armor in the first hour!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tecnological is actually hard because you don’t find a minigun and a power armor in the first hour!

It's not hard. Once you get to Tarant, you're invincible if you play your cards right. Plus high technological aptitude = immunity to all magic.

Nas92

Augur
Combat isn't hard though and if you are unable to engage in combat personally, you should heal them yourself instead of wasting your time repeatedly slapping yourself in the face with your staff like an idiot.

Regardless, making a non-combat character is a CHOICE. You've chosen to do it, so either suck it up and roll with it or don't do it.
mystery.png

Yeah, I avoid melee, though I got one point in melee at the beginning and paid for apprentice training. The enemies like to beeline toward my character a lot. My character is a diplomat mage, I mostly just spam Disarm, Harm, and Minor Heal.

Also, is Black Necromantic actually worth it aside from Harm? Seems to me that I should focus on Temporal and White Necromantic first, maybe Conveyance for Teleportation.

Also, is Black Necromantic actually worth it aside from Harm? Seems to me that I should focus on Temporal and White Necromantic first, maybe Conveyance for Teleportation.
The top tier black necro spell is like an even more OP harm. You basically only need those two spells and a high magic affinity to win the game.
rating_sawyer.gif

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Or you can mellee your way trough... with Tempus Fugit, high magic aptitude and some nice magical artifact you can have like 20 powerful attacks per round.

Nas92

Augur
Do I have to sell my story to the Tarant Newspaper to get access to the other quests they offer?

Also, how do I get to the locked part of the sewers? Unlocking cantrip didn't do shit, and I can't pick locks.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Do I have to sell my story to the Tarant Newspaper to get access to the other quests they offer?

Yes. You'll get one more (and very minor) fedex-style quest.

Also, how do I get to the locked part of the sewers? Unlocking cantrip didn't do shit, and I can't pick locks.

I believe you can access the old part of the sewers via the power plant (near the docks) or the Boil (in Maug's or Pollock's compound, I don't remember, perhaps in both).

Ninjerk

Arcane

I believe you can access the old part of the sewers via the power plant (near the docks) or the Boil (in Maug's or Pollock's compound, I don't remember, perhaps in both).
Doesn't the building on the jetty near the gypsy woman have access to the old sewers?

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron

Doesn't the building on the jetty near the gypsy woman have access to the old sewers?

Indeed ! But I believe it's the entrance he doesn't manage to open. I can't tell for certain though, didn't play the game for some time now. And usually I skip this section of the sewers.

Nas92

Augur

Which gypsy woman is this again?

Indeed ! But I believe it's the entrance he doesn't manage to open. I can't tell for certain though, didn't play the game for some time now. And usually I skip this section of the sewers.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I did not find the entrance to the closed sewers at all, so I assumed that a closed room with treasure chests guarded by mechanized arachnids is the restricted part of the sewers. Whatever, I'm still too low level to deal with those things anyway.
I actually went to Ashbury and I failed the mayor's quest miserably. What stats do I need to complete that?

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron

Which gypsy woman is this again?

You can find her in the east, outside of town. You cannot miss her.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I did not find the entrance to the closed sewers at all, so I assumed that a closed room with treasure chests guarded by mechanized arachnids is the restricted part of the sewers. Whatever, I'm still too low level to deal with those things anyway.
I actually went to Ashbury and I failed the mayor's quest miserably. What stats do I need to complete that?

For the mayor's quest, the more intelligent you are the better. The game also checks your persuasion, so make sure to invest some points in it
(even more so if you plan to become a master of persuasion).

If your intelligence is too low
you can buy a potion of intellect and drink it BEFORE you go to the podium, that should do the trick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom