Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum First time Arcanum player, need some general guidance

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Game is easy enough that you'd have to actively try pretty hard to make a 'bad' build.
Actually, it's very, very easy to make a bad build. Try creating a character with no points in melee. I did it. It's the worst rpg experience I've ever had until I hit level 11. Dropped weapon, miss, critically injure yourself, repeat. Even having 1 point in melee is horrible. Think I created an elf beauty with an 8 st and an 8 dex.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, but the levelling pace is so fast, that sooner or later you will put some points in crucial skills like melee or dodge.

Even if you fuck up your build at the beginning, you'll still get tons of xp from quests/random encounters to fix this up quickly - so in a way it is hard to make a bad build.

Vityaz

Augur
Wasn't there supposed to be a new version of the Unofficial Patch and Extra Content? Or did the Ogre-looking guy give up on it?

Just making sure, since I have been postponing my first "real" playthrough for some time now.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't there supposed to be a new version of the Unofficial Patch and Extra Content? Or did the Ogre-looking guy give up on it?

Just making sure, since I have been postponing my first "real" playthrough for some time now.

Drog gave up and quit internet again, you can start playing now.

Master

Arbiter
I wish he would at least restore the walk on water and pass through walls spells...

Piotrovitz

Savant
Doing first proper playthrough (dropped previous melee one during BMC), and so far charismatic gunslinger build seems to be a blast. With hand cannon and molotovs I've managed to clear most of the pre-BMC locations, including Ashbury castle and ancient temple without too much hassle.

While the fun of being underpowered and having to craft stuff is there, what bums me out is that it often feels like I'm still playing melee - shit is closing in so fast that you can only fire from a distance in the first round. Especially that mobs tend to ignore your melee companions and rush directly towards you.
Stuff like lord's slaves in the Ashbury castle have so many APs, they can walk to you through the whole goddamn room and even attack you once or twice.

So far, majority of fights happen in confined spaces - if it doesn't change much in the rest of the game, there's absolutely no point of having long range weapons, like looking glass rifle etc, instead of other high speed guns.

It aches me deeply when I think what this game could have been :' (

Master

Arbiter
You could try shooting them in the legs. Maybe mix guns with some entangle spells though its probably not a good idea. Maybe some traps can hold them in place (or do they just deal damage?) There's also a decoy device that I couldn't figure how to use.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I've had this game in my backlog for years after buying it on GoG what feels like a lifetime ago
Arcanum's manual is worth a read (187 pages) - they don't make these any more :cool:

Anyway, some of the most useful quick references:

i4s1v9G.jpg
xzGu2rI.jpg
p1UG9Ci.jpg
nln0IOt.jpg

Absinthe

Arcane
Ima planning on doing a hoe playthrough where I max beauty and charisma and try to seduce as many things as I can.
Just so you know, beauty is the most worthless stat in the game. It only matters for shopkeeper discounts and if your beauty is extremely low it can turn enemies hostile. But just wearing a nice suit and doing the first sidequest of the game will give you some reaction bonuses if you need them.

Master

Arbiter
I *heard* high Beauty can make random passerbys rush to your aid in a fight but I never tested it. I do know it determines how many warnings the guards give you before turning hostile (if they catch you doing something illegal).

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Just so you know, beauty is the most worthless stat in the game. It only matters for shopkeeper discounts and if your beauty is extremely low it can turn enemies hostile. But just wearing a nice suit and doing the first sidequest of the game will give you some reaction bonuses if you need them.

I've recently tried half-orc with Deal with the Devil background. People of Shrouded Hills just attacked me on sight because I was ugly evil orc. I had to do that quest with cursed ghost of a bandit and get a blessing to be able to interact with people. Even after that most people hate me and I had to beg to be able to talk to them. Charm spell helped though.

So beauty is not useful but if it's low you can have problem. Ugly character is one scar away to be hated. There are also numerous characters who have bad predisposition and will attack unless you're beautiful, like bandits in Tarant. Not enough to justify stat, of course. Also disposition affects prices on everything, including training. I don't think haggle skill affects things like that.

deama

Prophet
Sadly there's a disposition cap of 100 for prices...

Egosphere

Arcane
You could try shooting them in the legs. Maybe mix guns with some entangle spells though its probably not a good idea. Maybe some traps can hold them in place (or do they just deal damage?) There's also a decoy device that I couldn't figure how to use.
Or learn to craft Molotovs. They disperse enemies in random directions and they take very little action points to throw.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Or learn to craft Molotovs. They disperse enemies in random directions and they take very little action points to throw.
I've put point in explosives crafting and in throwing early, and molotovs are indeed life savers for gunslingers, or any tech build.

Still, dispersed shit is closing in on you fast and attacks the same turn. What I'm bummed out about, is that this basically means every gun fight happens at point blank range and feels like you're playing melee. This probably could have been mitigated by reworking entire AP system and making it more Fallout-like.

I'm still trying to love this game, but my heart is constantly bleeding.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
what is the max magical/mechanical aptitude obtainable?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When I first bought this game as a young teenager I just started over with new characters until I "got it" and understood what made a good char. Make a character, go to shrouded hills, go to Tarant. Does your character suck? Start over. I didn't need to ask questions on rpg forums.

e: I would like to add that I replayed Arcanum a few years ago and came to the conclusion that the game becomes horribly boring after the second half. It's just a snoozefest. So after you have spent some time in Tarant you can probably ditch the game.

e2: but the game is a cool concept and a early teen favourite.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
HELP PLS

I started first blind playthrough as melee tech dwarf, but the pyro-axe is so OPd, it took all the fun away. I suck at self-control, so gimping myself and sticking to charged swords/whatever is not an option.

I'm going with gunslinger now and the game so far (pre-BMC) is pretty balanced.
Got repeater rifle, few hundred bullets and lots of molotovs - will golems in BMC cause much pain in the ass?

Would like to avoid stealing uber weapons with fate points and breaking the game so early, like with pyro-axe.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Pyro Axe broke my playtrough early as well. Simply nothing comes close to it's brutal power and its even not a late-level schematic. And people complain about mages being OP in Arcanum. Sheesh. I mean sure they are, but a magic-immune Technologist in heavy armor one-shotting everything is OP enough, I'd say. Like someone wrote... the game is balanced only by having everything unbalanced.

Comte

Sup Drog

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Actually, it's very, very easy to make a bad build. Try creating a character with no points in melee. I did it. It's the worst rpg experience I've ever had until I hit level 11. Dropped weapon, miss, critically injure yourself, repeat. Even having 1 point in melee is horrible. Think I created an elf beauty with an 8 st and an 8 dex.
sup, Avellone

if you make a character without melee, maybe fighting in melee combat is a bad idea...
mystery.png

Or just avoiding combat and letting companions fight for him?

If you are just as likely to hit yourself as the enemy, avoid fighting as much as you can.

Or just be like Chris Avellone and literally throw yourself to the wolves for hours on end.

Ima planning on doing a hoe playthrough where I max beauty and charisma and try to seduce as many things as I can.
From a min/max perspective, maybe. The difference is that it makes people love you right off the bat and anything you do or say that might normally make people attack you usually gets shrugged off. So it does at least have an effect.

Nas92

Augur
Or just avoiding combat and letting companions fight for him?

The problem with that is you don't control companions and the AI seems to be lacking. For example I give my companions potions, but I have never seen them drink it, even when they absolutely should have (think attacking with one fatigue and knocking themselves over rather than drink the fatigue potion).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom