Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Final Fantasy VII Released on Steam

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also I can't believe nobody sneaked any puns in the Cloud Saves paragraph.

"Cloud Saves feature is unfortunately bugged, as Aeris still dies in this version."

Better?:cool:
Better. Now can you imagine the shitstorm which would ensue if you actually were able to save her in this version?

The Character Booster feature sounds wonderfully retarded.

According to the description it only maxes your HP, MP and gold. You still have to grind for your levels (to raise other stats) and materia levels.

So yeah, it's kind of retarded. It doesn't actually let you one-hit everything, which would be useful for lazy veterans who just want to see the story again.
Hello YouTube or why would you even bother?

Gozma

Arcane
0% chance of me playing any RPG if another readily available version of it has a fast-forward button

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought everyone who cares about FF7 either

1. already played it
2. is not 16 or younger anymore
3. all of the above

What sense does it make to re-release it yet again?

Melcar

Arcane
Still waiting for the full remake. I want HD 3D models, modern physics (BOOBS!), destructible terrain, HD surround sound.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would be tempted to get this to relive my naive youthful days if it didn't have dumbfuck DRM attached to it and they had bothered to do the music right. As it is, emulator of PS1 version is the way to go.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh man, now I have to remake my let's play. Can I do it even shittier? LET'S FIND OU-no actually let's not.
This is an extremely lazy port.

Stabwound

Arcane

1. already played it
3. all of the above

Who knows, but it has been a Steam top seller since they put it on there, so apparently there is some interest. It's going to be perpetually one of the most popular JRPGs ever and at this rate they'll probably just keep re-releasing it every time a generation of kids grows to teenagerhood.

1. already played it
3. all of the above

Who knows, but it has been a Steam top seller since they put it on there, so apparently there is some interest. It's going to be perpetually one of the most popular JRPGs ever and at this rate they'll probably just keep re-releasing it every time a generation of kids grows to teenagerhood.

Plus it's basically free money as didn't require much effort on their part. This is the old PC port, a little dressed up.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I remember this game from college. No amount of weed could make it fun. It is downright awful. People really thought this was fun? Talk about being on rails.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I realise adding new graphics would have taken a hefty chunk out of their tiny budget, but they should have at least put some resources into giving Cloud a bigger sword. His sword was big enough when it was first released, but technology today can handle much bigger swords and without taking advantage of that the game is just too obviously dated.

Karmapowered

Augur
The "enhanced" PC version of Final Fantasy VII

Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button[/b]

Version '13 of FF7 is a horrible disappointment.

Obviously.

1. Genuine peasants slaving away in their sweatshops and playing the game for you.
2. A single Awesome! button to collect all the Awesome! achievements for your Awesome! accounts in a single sweep.

Do not demand any less for version '14 of FF7.

Your hardcore RPGs deserve the best!

PS: :flamesaw: :facepalm:

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
They could at least have updated/fixed/completely redid the translation. :( I'm a big enough fanboy to have paid for that, (besides the fact it badly needed it) cheats and achievements, not so much.

Actually, there's a dozen things they'd have to add but I'm trying to be fair to the ailing SE.

Cynic

Arcane
This game had a lot of things going for it at the time. Materia system was fun, secret characters were good, story was animu derp but still okay, atmosphere was very well done, music was very well done. Graphics, while extremely shit now, were pretty revolutionary for console gamers back then. It also had the first FMV cut scenes for them.

It appealed to its target audience in an incredibly strong way, I think this has more to do with its being lauded as some kind of great piece of gaming history than the actual game itself.

What came before it (FFVI) and what came after (FFT, Vagrant Story, FFX, FFXII) were much, much better games. However, even today the atmosphere and setting will still have a lot of pull for people. I'd say that's its only draw card at the moment.

If the PC version somehow fucks up the soundtrack I don't know how anyone could forgive that, really.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
No, really, what is the appeal? The writing is poor, the main characters insufferable, the titanic emotional climax with the death of a central character falls flat due to how poorly written and annoying said character was and it has Mr. T as a support character.

Xenogears is practically unknown compared to FF7 and is yet ten trillion times better in all aspects. Why does FF7 deserve praise?

I don't really have an opinion on this, but you might want to read this: http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff07

Final Fantasy VII might not quite be this generation's Great Gatsby or On the Road, but it captures the turn-of-the-century Zeitgeist like no previous game could and which few games have been able to surpass.

Final Fantasy VII isn't the Citizen Kane of video games. There are games out there with better stories and better characters.

:lol:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You know, jrpg's have never been my thing but back in the day I used to play this at my nephew's. So, for nostalgia's sake I've always been wanting to give it a proper playthrough. Perhaps now?

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, the Steam version still requires you to sign up for an account on Square Enix's website. You have been warned.

Yeah, no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom