Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform - shut down, RIP

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Tim Schafer's involved so they can all go fuck themselves.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
as him insulting tons of people that grew up loving his games I just don't care about that prick..

He did what now?

I mean sure, Broken Age sucked, especially Part 2, but why all the extra hate ITT?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny to see who people are so fixated on one person, that they have a seizure anytime they saw his name somewhere. It's like paranoia. I just imagine them sitting in front of their computer and after seeing Tim's name, they start screaming, and white foam dripping from their mouth.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's funny to see who people are so fixated on one person, that they have a seizure anytime they saw his name somewhere. It's like paranoia. I just imagine them sitting in front of their computer and after seeing Tim's name, they start screaming, and white foam dripping from their mouth.

You know an awful lot of codexians picture themselves as critical thinkers when in truth they're perfectly content with catchphrases and knee-jerk reactions. That's pathetic but every forum's like that.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You know an awful lot of codexians picture themselves as critical thinkers when in truth they're perfectly content with catchphrases and knee-jerk reactions. That's pathetic but every forum's like that.

Really? The codex is fun because people don't think of themselves a "critical thinkers" (and in general don't take themselves too seriously) and post witty catchphrases and knee-jerk reactions. There are other forums (like neoGAF) who take themselves way more seriously.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I think he heard a different version.

Fool me once again, Tim Schafer! Here's my money!

To say that I am skeptical is an understatement.
This whole equities for all has scam written all over it.
All in all is just an attempt to bypass publishers once again.
There are two main problems, Kickstarter is still the most popular and successful crowdfunding platform, and usually crowdfunded games don't sell that well in general, basically even if a project get funded it can't generate enough profit for both the developers and the investors.
And sincerely, if I want to invest in videogames I will do it directly not through some platform that eats away five percent of all the revenues forever, this is doomed to fail.

Is it seriously 5%? I'd consider it if it worked like online share brokers, just pay a $20 fee regardless of amount (for shares that makes it pretty easy to ensure that brokerage is less than 1% of value). Not as a money-making system of course - for that I'd need access to the company's financials, and a proven record, like with actual shares. But in terms of 'do I pay for this game via kickstarter or via fig?', the promise of 20c back is quantifiable enough to be decisive.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Humanity is just not a learning animal.
How many times does he have to fuck you before you stop sending him money signed with a kiss?

I mean you can play the "LOLOL Losers In Moms Basement Hate Tim LOLOLOL"..

But what happens when...

Indeed. Many great things.

DF still has a lot of fans as well - though no doubt they have lost some.

I am kind of a lost fan, chances are I won't buy a DF game ever again, but I will always watch with some glimmer of hope.

Another issue, Tim and DF's "jokes" are hysterical one moment, then bitterly painful later and ironic later. The sneezing money just a couple of posts is a good example.

px9uy.jpg

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
Why is J_C such a douche in this thread? It's like he's defending the scammer's right to scam. Well I guess he does know a thing or two about taking advantage of people.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not defending Tim at all in this thread. I just find it ridiculous that when people see Tim's name, they just dismiss whatever the news is about. Even if by logic, it has nothing to do with Tim's poor management abilities. In Fig's case, Tim might be a poor manager, but it has nothing to do with the projects developed by people who are not Tim and Double Fine. Running a project on Fig has nothing to do with Tim. They get the money, they develop the game and Tim has no saying in development.

But people dismiss it because Tim is one of the people who decide wether a project can be on Fig or not. I repeat, Tim is not developing the games, he is not managing it, he just has a say in wether the crowdfunding can start on Fig or not.

But noooo, people are not thinking about this, they just bashing Fig and making edgy remarks about it being shit because of Tim. What if Divinity OS2 would be on Fig? Tim being on the board would meen nothing, because HE IS NOT DEVELOPING THE GAME.

Why is J_C such a douche in this thread? It's like he's defending the scammer's right to scam. Well I guess he does know a thing or two about taking advantage of people.

Don't call me a douche OK, because I try to be civilised and not offensive in my remarks. I try to put my points through without offend anyone. Well, except if the other parties are complete retards.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Fig is a retarded idea, regardless of Tim's involvement.
But it is really not, because it is identical to kickstarter, with offering a plus (the possibility to invest). I personally know people who think that the only disadventage of KS is that you don't can anything back financially from the project you back. But if you don't want to invest, it is just the same as KS. If you like KS, there is no reason you dislike Fig.

FrankHamilton

Educated
J_C just doesn't understand a person not living up to standards of decency because he doesn't really have any.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Seems you're taking this shit way too seriously yourself, guy. I mean, the way you're carrying on, whining and crying. Tim Schafer's name is attached and it just doesn't matter whether he has any power or not, for some of us it's ENOUGH to not want to support this thing. So what, deal with it.

I'm sure this venture will do just fine, despite the lack of support of a few dozen codexers. I mean, the first project's only been live for a short while and they've already raised 75 large!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Seems you're taking this shit way too seriously yourself, guy. I mean, the way you're carrying on, whining and crying. Tim Schafer's name is attached and it just doesn't matter whether he has any power or not, for some of us it's ENOUGH to not want to support this thing. So what, deal with it.

I'm sure this venture will do just fine, despite the lack of support of a few dozen codexers. I mean, the first project's only been live for a short while and they've already raised 75 large!
True, I'm taking this too seriously. I'm just trying to be the voice of reason, and logic, opposite to others who are basing their comments on their feelings, without thinking things through.

I am not continuing. I just did it once. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?
I was thinking of you continuing the insults that others have started.

FrankHamilton

Educated
True, I'm taking this too seriously. I'm just trying to be the voice of reason, and logic, opposite to others who are basing their comments on their feelings, without thinking things through.
Don't you think you taking this so seriously is a sign that maybe you are also acting on feeling a bit?

Ninjerk

Arcane
You think it's reasonable and/or logical to continue to invest in the ventures of someone who has shown to either be incompetent or fraudulent?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You think it's reasonable and/or logical to continue to invest in the ventures of someone who has shown to either be incompetent or fraudulent?
You don't invest in the venture of Tim, you invest in a game, just like in KS. The money goes to the developer, not to Tim. Just like in KS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom