Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feature Suggestions & Requests - Handled

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Black
Re. Divine Might - it's not stated by the feat description, but I assume it should apply to melee weapons only? (since it relies on Power Attack as a prerequisite)
Also I'm guessing the damage type should be "unspecified", as with Power Attack.

P.S: progress!

mw2CAVv.jpg
mw2CAVv.jpg

ucvHgZv.jpg

ToEE has now become a little more Sawyerian - your charisma affects your damage output :P

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Question re. Reckless Offense

Which implementation would you prefer:
1. As stated in the description - active ability that goes away next round
2. Like Fight Defensively - checkbox option, bonus/penalty apply until removed (except when attack was made in the same round, to prevent scumming)

If 2., would it be better to put it in the Tactical Options submenu (as with Disable AoO), or the Feats menu (as with Divine Might - see post above)?

edit: this will be the implementation unless someone objects

YOcBrsM.jpg

2nd edit: now Superior Expertise works too (raises the Combat Expertise cap up to your BAB rather than up to +5)

SheyPkp.jpg

edit3: also Greater Rage for level 11+ Barbarians

wK8MZsP.jpg

edit4: Barbarian DR extended to higher levels

GUrPn8a.jpg

edit5: also Tireless rage (nothing to show really, it just prevents the :negative:condition after :x)

edit6: Greater Weapon Specialization!

S2valrO.jpg

edit 7: Indomitable Will + Mighty Rage now in too. Also fixed a bug in SavingThrowSpell (was accidentally calling the normal SavingThrow function)

9h6Togz.jpg

That high level barbarian in the slavers fight won't be so easy to charm now!

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Disarm is finished, including triggering an AoO and bonus / penalty for Two-Handed / Light weapons respectively.
Also implemented Improved Disarm.

N1lJIPH.jpg

First person to disarm Iuz gets a cookie!

jJAcJZU.jpg

I think now would be a good time to shift the focus on giving the AI new capabilities, and better brains as well, so it can handle all the new tools at the player's disposal (like picking the weapon off the floor :lol:) Also I've always hated the super hacky way I've used to implement script targeting, time to fix it!

Anyway, what would you suggest? I've seen Rend mentioned, anything else?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Wow, disarm can cause all sorts of AoO mayhem when the unarmed guy punches back on his turn :D.

Looks great so far. Things get pretty complex when considering opposed actions... here's what I'm seeing vs RAW in those cases :

- AoO should nullify the attempt if it hits and causes damage (not working?)
- Defender should get a free disarm attempt (no AoO) if the check fails (working... defender makes the attempt and can successfully disarm)
- If you succeed at disarming while yourself unarmed, you should get the weapon in hand (not implemented, but you can pick up the weapon and arm yourself... using 2 standard actions)
- I'm guessing this is weapons only for now (no shields, etc)

Overall, what you have implemented works well. Disarm seems like it has the potential to trivialize some combat situations (I've only tried it in low level encounters thus far), but then again, so does reach weapon abuse and certain AoE spells. However, it's really welcome to have more complex melee options at hand if you're playing a resource conservation game (not cheesing with scrolls, constantly escaping areas for rest, etc) and/or going with a small party.

As I mentioned, I don't think defensive AoOs that hit are stopping the disarm attempt, which makes it a little less risky.
This is so exciting... great work :bounce:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Wow, disarm can cause all sorts of AoO mayhem when the unarmed guy punches back on his turn :D.
Yeah, which is why giving the AI the ability to pick up the weapon is a must ;)

Aye, forgot about that one. Shouldn't be hard to implement I think.

- If you succeed at disarming while yourself unarmed, you should get the weapon in hand (not implemented, but you can pick up the weapon and arm yourself... using 2 standard actions)
I was thinking that Monks who use disarm might want to avoid that - I could add an exception for them I guess. Also less work :P

- I'm guessing this is weapons only for now (no shields, etc)
Yup. I think that's enough in most cases.

Overall, what you have implemented works well. Disarm seems like it has the potential to trivialize some combat situations (I've only tried it in low level encounters thus far), but then again, so does reach weapon abuse and certain AoE spells. However, it's really welcome to have more complex melee options at hand if you're playing a resource conservation game (not cheesing with scrolls, constantly escaping areas for rest, etc) and/or going with a small party.
You won't be saying that when the AI disarms you, hehe. (though like I said I won't add it in until without some sort of reminder feature)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Got yourself disarmed, and can't find your weapon under the pile of corpses? No problem! Just use the Retrieve radial action!

eQBUC0B.jpg

Be aware, though - the AI now also gets this option!

F3vQqMp.jpg

And yes, it provokes an AoO too, for both you and the AI, as it should by RAW. And lest you think you can get away with it AoO-free by directly clicking on the item, that invokes an AoO too now!

Lastly, moments like this are just priceless:

aYbEUEN.jpg

:troll:

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I was thinking that Monks who use disarm might want to avoid that - I could add an exception for them I guess. Also less work :P

Monks aside, it could get interesting if you allow the weapon grab for a player who's been disarmed themselves. With improved disarm, you avoid the AoO and the +4 bonus cancels the -4 unarmed penalty... presenting a decent choice between guaranteeing you get your weapon back by picking it up (and taking an AoO) or turning the tables on your opponent (at risk of failure). That makes improved disarm that much more compelling (though it's already good).

With monks, I guess it's a thing where you'd declare your intention in PnP (even if RAW doesn't explicitly say so) since your hands are considered a weapon.

On the same subject, should monks be getting the -4 malus for attempting to disarm while fighting unarmed? They do, currently.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Aye, forgot about that one. Shouldn't be hard to implement I think.
Done! (and ofc it took longer than I thought :roll:)
On that note, my interpretation is that your opponent still gets his counter disarm attempt in that scenario (I.e. taking damage on the AoO is akin to rolling a 1 on your check).

Re. Monk bonus
I've looked it up, seems to be one of those Grey areas for rules lawyers to argue over - here's the discussion at Paizo:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2jzpr?Improved-unarmed-strike-and-disarm
I guess I'll let them go with no penalty - they're pretty gimp anyway. (Forget about two handed bonus though :P)

edit
: actually, shouldn't they get a -4 penalty anyway for using a light weapon? (unarmed strike = light weapon) though I guess the penalty description would be different...

Re. Improved Disarm - it's already very good since it prevents the counter disarm attempt!
I will probably implement the weapon grab effect, though, if only for the sake of the AI (just wait until Iuz summons a chaotic neutral ally to take away your precious Fragarach! Hahah)
For Monks it'll end up in the inventory instead of in hand.

edit: first off, I fixed the bug with Improved Disarmed so it should now REALLY prevent the AoO.
Second, Weapons can now be snatched! It looks really smooth actually with the attack animation. Haven't tested monks yet, but I've added a check for them too.

IgV647F.jpg

Fun side effect: you can now wield those cool looking NPC-only weapons :yeah:

edit: also created a post-combat reminder that fires at the end of combat (will go away after showing two times, if you haven't already used the retrieve radial option)

DisarmReminder.jpg

You will now also be able to fetch the item from someone else's inventory / hands if performed post-combat. How's that for convenience?

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
While perusing the SRD, I noticed there are a number of weapons that could benefit from the new disarm feat, some of which are otherwise undistinguished (except for flavor).

Specifically...

+2 to disarm or avoid disarm on failure

Chain, Spiked
Flail or Heavy Flail
Nunchaku
(tonfa and war fan?)
Ranseur

+4 to disarm or avoid disarm on failure

Sai

Also, Spiked Gauntlets cannot be disarmed.

I think the only one in the SRD that isn't in the game is the Dire Flail. It also doesn't mention Tonfa or War Fan specifically, but those are nunchaku type weapons, no?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I think the only one in the SRD that isn't in the game is the Dire Flail. It also doesn't mention Tonfa or War Fan specifically, but those are nunchaku type weapons, no?

Hmm... well, I guess tonfa and war fan wouldn't make sense in that regard, since they don't have a chained extension (as actual nunchaku do) or have any sort of prongs for trapping (like a ranseur or sai).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Is there actually a Sai in the game? As far as I can tell ToEE doesn't even have that weapon type defined.
Tonfa and War Fan are defined as Nunchaku in ToEE (War Fan is actually Halfling Nunchaku, imagine that). Possibly that's only because ToEE didn't have weapon types for them and that's the closest thing the modders thought of? Oh well.

Anyway, adding the other bonuses was easy enough, and it's definitely good to have uniqueness!

SpikeChainDisarmBonus.jpg

Morkar Left

Wow, impressive work!

Nice to see the engine gets still used. Is this compatible with the Co8 modding?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yes. There's even an .ini flag called "usingCo8" :P (just to override some UI hack in the Co8 modpack that's no longer necessary, right now)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Is there actually a Sai in the game? As far as I can tell ToEE doesn't even have that weapon type defined.

Ah, rats :?. It was in the help list and it has a proto, but it's just a placeholder.

So much for monk weapons. At least ranseur becomes more than just another pole arm and spiked chain is slightly bad-ass-ier. Flails are too fuck ugly to actually use though.

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Since you're presently into melee feats and mechanics, what are the prospects for fixing the reach weapon (non) limitation? That is, limiting reach weapons so they can't strike inside 10ft (or whatever the radius based on size).

Added 1.0.85

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
TBH I prefer to focus on things that add to the game rather than restrictions. Something like that sounds like it would involve a lot of effort and has the potential to be really annoying if not done extremely well UI-wise, I think the effort is better spent elsewhere.

That said, I'll be digging into relevant game systems regardless, such as pathfinding, targeting and AI, so it's possible I'll have the pieces in place. We'll see.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
My thinking was that the restriction might add some tactical depth and decision-making when building those types of characters. You'd need to consider secondary weapon feats, quick draw, carrying capacity etc... instead of building a one trick pony whose main move is "back off and stick 'em" ;)

Although, I guess that wouldn't change much, would it? The way it is now, you generally take a 5ft step back to improve your position anyway... restricting close combat for reach weapons just forces you to either make that move or switch weapons. The only time it would create a dilemma is if you're pinned.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You don't need to add that restriction (which sounds really bullshit by the way, since if you want to threaten near reach with a polearm, you can usually just hold it higher in grip), but you could easily add another restriction that hurts almost as much, like limiting the attack, five foot step back, wait for AoO dance with polearms, by making a effective AoO range for polearms < 5 foot step for polearms_size+ only. Just bullshit it's near impossible to hold it effectively enough to do AoO reflex attacks (or up the roll if any, if you're feeling generous).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Added Break Free action to all AIs. They will first run through their normal AI list, and if they still have actions remaining, they'll attempt a Break Free (after which they'll go over their AI list again and see if they can perform something else once they are free).

This obviates the need for the dirty ol' "Elixir of Break Free" workaround. Always hated that!

BTW, I kind of stealthed this, but Barbarians now also get Indomitable Will (lvl 14) and Mighty Rage (lvl20).

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Added Rend.

Rend2.png

i.e. makes a Troll (or any creature for that matter) that hits with two consecutive Claw attacks add a 2d6+9 Rend bonus damage. Hate to think what happens on a crit hit ><
Also fixed a bug related to processing the attack information blah blah. I had to yank the Monk's Belt damage hack in the process, will recreate it later.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Woah. Does this apply to Animal Companions too? :dance:
To be precise, it will apply to anything you give the Rend property, just like any other protos.tab property. So if you mod them to have that, and if they have two attacks of the same type, then yes!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I don't know about you, but usually when I go into the Moathouse fight in the upper level, one of the first things I do is put this guy to sleep:

AidAnotherWakeUp4.png

Now here's the thing. I added a new tactical option...

AidAnotherWakeUp.png

And taught the AI to use it as well...

AidAnotherWakeUp5.png

So don't get all surprised when he wakes up pissed!

AidAnotherWakeUp6.png

And before you ask, yes, I definitely want to fill up the rest of the Aid Another options! =D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom