Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite character(s) in an RPG

What characters have you encountered that you really love? Which game was it, were they a player-controlled character or an NPC? What made them stick out to you?

I feel like there's a lot of threads about the stories/plots of RPGs but I'd love to see which specific characters (be it heroes, villains, whatever) really appeal to you guys and enhance the game in terms of entertainment.

If you can't think of an overall favorite/group of favorites, who was your favorite character in the last RPG you played and why?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently in the middle of an Elder Scrolls gangbang and I would say my favorite character from those games is probably Vivec himself, or some of the Telvanni mages. They did a pretty decent job of bringing the Telvanni style back in Skyrim with Neloth, he's fun to talk to. No one in Oblivion really stands out to me off-hand, maybe that Fighter's Guild dunmer with the bad attitude.

Overall in RPGs is hard to say, probably depends on the day. Today I will say Yes Man from Fallout New Vegas is an amazing character I really, really loved.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
People talk a lot about Solarie, but I think that Siegmeyer of Catarina is one of the coolest NPCs ever, not only being extremely charismatic, but also with a nice story arc.

And Jon Irenicus is worth a mention just for his voice.

DramaticPopcorn

don't wanna diss feli but damn rly? dark souls npc? really bro? really?

Deleted member 7219

Every great RPG has great characters, so there are many to list.

I will pick just one. Mr. House from Fallout: New Vegas.

If you choose to betray him
and open up his cryostasis chamber, the way he rasps at you as he dies is one of the best (and dickish) moments I've ever been a part of in a video game. "May there be... a hell for you! A Tartarus... unending!"

You beat me to the punch Scrooge. My favorite characters were the ones CRPGs used to allow me to create for my party back before storyfags RUINED EVERYTHING with their joinable NPC bullshit. My Wizardy 8 party had infinitely more personality and charm than anything in Dragon Effect. Hell, the collection 4 bit colour icons representing my party in the Gold Box games had more personality because they were MY characters.

This:

4-COK_I_2.png

Is better than this:

squad_select.jpg

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After many years I still remember the characters from Jagged Alliance 2, Planscape Torment and Fallout 1.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
You beat me to the punch Scrooge. My favorite characters were the ones CRPGs used to allow me to create for my party back before storyfags RUINED EVERYTHING with their joinable NPC bullshit. My Wizardy 8 party had infinitely more personality and charm than anything in Dragon Effect. Hell, the collection 4 bit colour icons representing my party in the Gold Box games had more personality because they were MY characters.

This:

4-COK_I_2.png

Is better than this:

squad_select.jpg

Boo-freaking-hoo.:kfc:

Xeon

Augur
Luca Blight -- Suikoden II and the novels I think IIRC
Rei -- Breath of Fire III
Fou-Lu -- Breath of Fire VI
ED-E -- Fallout New Vegas

Edit:
Mr. House -- Fallout New Vegas
Rudy -- Wild Arms
Grahf -- Xenogears
Vivi -- Final Fantasy IX
Auron -- Final Fantasy X
Grace -- Torment
Kreia -- KOTOR II
Barbarossa -- Suukoden I
Sarah -- Suikoden III
Viki -- Suikoden IV
Ferid -- Suikoden V
Albert Simon -- Shadow Hearts 1 or Covenant or both
Kato -- Shadow Hearts Covenant
Ramza(MC) -- Final Fantasy Tactics
Varric -- Dragon Age II
Rance -- Sengoku Rance
Kefka -- Final Fantasy VI
Laguna -- Final Fantasy VIII
Laharl -- Disgaea

Will try and add more names, each time I remember

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Morte from Planescape. Also, Gann from MoTB had some really brilliant lines.

(Negotiating a soul's value with a fiend)
Gann: I suspect that the soul has value far more than nothing - which as our leader has spoken, is exactly what you will get if you push your current bargain.
Fiend: Shrewdly assessed. You would go far in our realm, you know. If you like, I could put something in writing to arrange it.
Gann: A generous offer, but I shall... regretfully... pass.

Or:

Eyeball

Arcane
Dog/God from Dead Money. Best creepy rapist voiceacting ever.

Backstabber

Educated
I always liked Quell, the candy-obsessed wizard in PS: T. Silly and cool at the same time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Morte in PS:T and Edwin in BG2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom