Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this unless they enjoyed 3/4 or are really hungry for a shooter and an open world game. And if they are, odds are they should just (re)play S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Ash

Arcane
As far as modern AAA goes, FC is clearly one of the better choices. It's still compromised, if it were released in 2002 or something it'd be a lot less pandering and easy, and no microtransactions too, yet it's not on the level of mindless button-mashing simulators like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor, and not completely railroaded like most shooters are these days.

-Non-linear.
-Some degree of freedom in how you tackle missions.
-While somewhat easy it's not braindead and doesn't basically play itself like some games.
-It's actually 97% gameplay, rather than cinematics and story-dominated like so many games are these days.
-Overall game design isn't too bad, though still certainly bad in places.

I wouldn't lecture or resent anyone that opts to play this latest game. There's far, far worse.
Is Stalker better than it? In many ways yes (difficulty, better balanced systems, no MTX), but it's not necessarily "basically FC but better" because it's a game very concerned with realism. Far Cry has no problems giving you shit like free-reign over a wing suit or letting you fight challenges over and over in the Colosseum. The result is two rather different experiences, both valid.

Last edited:
It seems that the game is not selling that well,at least on pc. At steam spy sits around 550,000 after the weekend. I would estimate that total sales are around 2.5 millions and it will top around 5-6 millions in a year,for all platforms.

im not paying 100 nicker for a game

watch sales rocket come sale time

im going to pick it up at minimum 75% off; whenever that happens

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
K0JCpIY.gif

Irata

Scholar
I've never minded the gunplay in Ubisoft's Farcry, but I hate how they have segments where you can't do anything but slowly walk forward while someone talks and how they don't seem to let you skip cutscenes. I've only seen the introduction to FC5, but that was laughably stupid even by videogame standards.

Kitchen Utensil

All I see here is the fucking wallhack that let's you see that elk(?) through the ridge. Can that (and the button prompts) be disabled? Not that I'm gonna buy this game, just curious.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Crowbcat released this video :lol::

Was about to post this. :dealwithit:

Far Cry 2 has a somewhat mediocre AI, but the game's worst preoblem is the mediocre content (missions and level design - altough the latter was good sometimes), exploration (still better than most Ubisoft shitboxes) and the player's large health pool. And those fucking checkpoints of course...

Despite this the setting and premise of the were awesome and full of potential. And while they didn't manage to create a great game, it's still none the less clear that some passion and effort went into making it. Unlike anything Ubisoft has been spewing ever since AC2 - except for their multiplayer games.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't Dylan's realism mod kinda fix respawning guards a bit by decreasing chase AI's distance? Not the solution but still better than vanilla.
Btw there are two false examples about FC5 is that video. Bullet penetration exists in the game, there are just inconsistent surfaces but for the most part, you can shoot through stuffs.

Ammo stashes (the 3 stacks that refill all ammo) also explode in FC5, even make bigger explosion than in 2.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks like proper fun regardless of AI issues. But Denuvo or not, 60 jewros is way too much.

It get repetitive super quick. Bought the game with a friend, since we play all kind of co-op games and it first it was really fun. Mindless drunk shit-talking fun. But the game is way too hysterical so you get burned out very quickly on all the "awesome" stuff going on. Once in a while you just want to be able to drive to the next quest marker without getting assaulted by 25 different animals, cars, hooligans, cultists, drug-zombies and what not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom